Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's play some horror survival lads.

Options
  • 31-10-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So, it's Halloween. Let's play some scary stuff. I already managed 3 hours of Silent hill 2 and very proud of it. :)
    I am sitting down for session number 2 now. Who is man enough to play some horror games with me eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I think I'll start dead space 2 again tonight and put it on the hardest mode, resistance 2 is starting to bore me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

l4d2 later anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sea_monkey wrote: »
    l4d2 later anyone?

That's not horror....

Anyway, I am already stuck and met pyramid head again. What an asshole! Well now I need to check all rooms incase I missed something.

So am I the only one non pussy here? :pac:

Anyway, I got further again today. Got work tomorrow so called it a night. I though there should be a lot more melee weapons, but so far I got only plank. Got handgun and shotgun. Good few bullets now too. Started getting rifle ammo too, no rifle it self thought. Really enjoying this scavenger aspect like good old Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Started playing Silent Hill Downpour yesterday and it's pretty decent. Really good at building the tension and atmosphere and it's over an hour into the game before you even see an enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fired up outlast. Lasted 50 seconds. I'm proud of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is it worth playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Have no Survival Horror games, Amnesia/Outlast I've watched the play throughs so they hold little play value for me :(

Suggestions ?

marko93 wrote: »
    Have no Survival Horror games, Amnesia/Outlast I've watched the play throughs so they hold little play value for me :(

Suggestions ?

Watching and playing the likes of Amnesia is a completely different experience.
    You can't feel the same anxiety and horror as the person you are watching playing it by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

sea_monkey wrote: »
    l4d2 later anyone?
    That's not horror....

lol yes it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

marko93 wrote: »

Suggestions ?

I don't get the whole idea of watching playthroughs of games on Youtube and the like. Why wouldn't you just play the game?:confused:

Started playing Amnesia: Dark Descent a few days ago - scared the bejesus outta me! Gave up after an hour and had nightmares!
    Don't usually scare easily so don't know what that was all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

gouche wrote: »
    I don't get the whole idea of watching playthroughs of games on Youtube and the like. Why wouldn't you just play the game?:confused:

It's utterly bizarre to me that someone would watch a video of someone else playing through an entire game.

Well, those who watched let's plays of horror games like amnesia shooting themselves in a foot.

I did a stupid thing last night. Played silent hill 2 and then after watched with misses The Conjuring. What a bad freaking idea... Barely got any sleep and it was not "comforting" going to work at 5:30 this morning lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Zillah wrote: »
    It's utterly bizarre to me that someone would watch a video of someone else playing through an entire game.

Plus the fact that playing a game is so much different to watching a game being played.
    The joy in playing a game is in the actual playing of the game - you take that away and it loses the vast majority of it's appeal to me.

Anyway back on topic!
    Recently got Eternal Darkness for the GC.
    Never played it on release so looking forward to getting stuck into some old school survival horror.
    Need something else to play now I'm not playing Amnesia:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

I've read that Outlast is sort of like a poor man's Amnesia, or words to that effect. Anyone played it and can recommend it?

Thinking of picking up Alien Breed as I haven't played that since the days of the Amiga but the rest of the well known horror games I've already played. I may have to take another spin on Amnesia, all the same, maybe Penumbra too.

The Steam sale feels a little poor what with many of the titles not appearing particularly horrifying.
    gouche wrote: »
    Zillah wrote: »

I have to address this - why watch sports when you could be playing them?

I watch some LPs of games I've played because it's interesting to see how other people approach them. Or the likes of Dwarf Fortress where it's entirely open-ended and the person playing makes their own story.

Go read the saga of Boatmurdered and tell me it's pointless.

Here you go, perfect "lets play" explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well...I don't, and often find that kind of bizarre too, but at least there you see different teams or individuals playing against each other: it's a competition. A game is designed to be experienced by a player...watching someone else go through that experience instead of doing it yourself makes little sense to me.

If you've already played the game, or it is a competitive RTS where it's like watching a soccer game, that sort of makes sense. But watching someone else play all the way through Amnesia or something like it without playing it yourself? Mental.

The reason for this is because you are usually watch the ELITE of said sport. The top 0.01% in the world playing the sport at it's best.
    Also, the outcome isn't set or following a certain pattern, it can't be predicted.
    Every game is different.

If you watch a "Lets play of Amnesia" you don't have the same emotions as the person playing. Also, when you play...the outcomes will nearly mirror yours.

Watch competitive gaming is different however, whereas in sports, you are watching the top players in the World play.

Watching a lets play to me is the equivalent of having someone read a book...and then summarise it to you in their own words.
    You get the jist of the story, but it's from 'their' perspective.
    Whereas if you read it...at your own pace...it would be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'd never watch a lets play of a game I had some intention of buying. It completely ruin the experience of playing a game that I would probably get a lot of enjoyment out of.

But I do like lets play for those games which tinkle my interest (many of this new spate of first person horror games fit this bill) I don't really want to buy them as horror isnt my thing, but its nice to see what all the fuss is about all the same.

Hard to find a good youtuber though. So many of them are basically babbling idiots who are trying to cash in on the pewdiepie phenomenon. Ive been subscribed to one guy on youtube for 2 years who started out very sincere and straight forward. Now his channel is such a success hes quit his job and devotes his time to doing videos fulltime. Hes now sunk to pretending to be shítting himself while playing Amnesia et al. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Remind me to never mention watching LPs again :p

Anyways, haven't seen anything about A Machine a For Pigs, may give that a bash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement