Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Fireplace Surround

• 31-10-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have an issue with my fireplace surround, the attachment is an example of the type of fireplace that I have in my house. I have found that the fireplace is billowing smoke when a fire is lit through the areas I marked in red.

It seems to be only happening where the joints are and it is noticable that there are gaps between the mantlepiece and the face underneath (gap about 2mm-3mm along). It is also happening where the smaller highlighted area is.

Any suggestions as to how I could fix this problem, could I use black silicone tube to fix it or is something more sinister at play here?

Look forward to your responses!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

OK, I've seen this before, you have an inner piece, and the putter marble piece say.

The inner piece should be sealed to the wall, in ur case its not, allowing smoke to comeup behind it and out where it meets the marble surround.

If you cacan't strip it back and re join it, try looking up underneath , where wall meets surround, this needs filling/sealing.

With what, I'm not sure, , , I thing u can get fire proof silicone, or fire rope,
    Go to a plumpling/stove shop, they will tell u what to put up there

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cwmoore

Thanks for the advice, went to the local hardware/stove shop and found a fire cement/silicone tube and sealed up the fireplace, set a fire yesterday with some turf & logs to see how well it sealed and it had worked a treat.

Thanks again!!!

Advertisement