Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantis expedition - 'Earth Only' snobbery

Options
  • 31-10-2013 4:01pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭


    with the exception of the athosians how many other non earth civilizations were allowed on Atlantis?

    I find it strange that the Tok-ra or the Tollan weren't brought along, seeing as they would have had a superior understanding of the science behind ancient technology, they might have been able to figure out how to make ZPM's and a load of other useful technology, they could have also brought ships to battle the wraith .

    or why not a few battalions of free jaffa armed with the much more useful staff weapon.

    seems to me that we Tau-ri are a selfish bunch of gits.


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    with the exception of the athosians how many other non earth civilizations were allowed on Atlantis?

    I find it strange that the Tok-ra or the Tollan weren't brought along, seeing as they would have had a superior understanding of the science behind ancient technology, they might have been able to figure out how to make ZPM's and a load of other useful technology, they could have also brought ships to battle the wraith .

    or why not a few battalions of free jaffa armed with the much more useful staff weapon.

    seems to me that we Tau-ri are a selfish bunch of gits.

    Tok-ra - Apart from the alliance between those & Earth ending under rather mistrustful circumstances, Ancient technology required a certain gene to operate, making Tok-ra useless in this situation.
    Tollan - Last we seen of them they were being bombarded. It's not known if they survived, & even if they had, they showed very little interests in the affairs of others...being comfortable within themselves.
    Free Jaffa - Again redundant due to lacking the ancient gene. Also mistrust on both sides stunted the alliance between the two powers.

    Atlantis was too important to risk losing to enemy hands, or indeed a friend who has turned coat in the past. Selfish gits? Nah, there's just not that many allies...not without their own issues anyway


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm


    ok so the tok'ra are a non runner, but surely some tollan survived, you would think it would be mutually beneficial for both of us to gather them together and offer them the option of going to atlantis.

    something occurs to me tho, what would happen if a wraith fed on a jaffa.

    could a gauold take a wrath as a host


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    ok so the tok'ra are a non runner, but surely some tollan survived

    I could be mistaken, but it's never expanded upon if they were destroyed or not. They've always been incredibly reluctant to get involved in Earth's affairs, share technology etc. I really don't think that even if they had survived, they'd have been interested in Atlantis. They had some incredible tech of their own don't forget.
    something occurs to me tho, what would happen if a wraith fed on a jaffa.

    Same thing that always happens I imagine :)
    could a gauold take a wrath as a host

    I don't see why not, they took Unas as hosts at one stage


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm


    ah but how would a jaffa's regeneritive capabilities change the dynamic, could a wrath feed on a jaffa or would the symbiote generate something like the hoffan virus as a defence.

    as for gould - wrath combo, would the resultant unholy abomination need to feed, and if so more or less, how would it go with a sarcophagus


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    ah but how would a jaffa's regeneritive capabilities change the dynamic, could a wrath feed on a jaffa or would the symbiote generate something like the hoffan virus as a defence.

    as for gould - wrath combo, would the resultant unholy abomination need to feed, and if so more or less, how would it go with a sarcophagus

    I'd imagine that as the feeding-death process is nearly instant that a symbiote wouldn't have the time to come up with any sort of poison to infect the Wraith with. Also the regenerative properties would merely make the host last a bit longer and give the wraith a better meal.

    I think a Gould/Wraith combo would still need to feed alright as the host's physiology isn't modified (which is why they can be used as spies). The Wraith would simply develop a God complex and a funky dress sense and be prone to elaborate speeches and threats before getting it's ass kicked anyway! :p


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace


    Chances are any alliance with the Tok-ra and free Jaffa would break down completely if either one had been invited to Atlantis, not that either alliance was very strong at the time of Atlantis.
    The Tollan were wiped out, if not completely then not far from it as their defenses against the Go'uld were overcome by Anubis who had the knowledge of the Ancients.

    A Goa'uld Wraith hybrid would be one freaky creature but given the abilities of both I'm wondering if it would just kill it self in the battle for control.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    A Goa'uld Wraith hybrid would be one freaky creature but given the abilities of both I'm wondering if it would just kill it self in the battle for control.

    Not sure I'd agree there'd be a confrontation, I think the Goa'Uld would dominate like they do in all other hosts. It would be one formidable beasty though...


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM


    Would the Goa'uld be able to compete with the Wraith mental abilities, though? Aren't the Wraith able to assert a certain amount of mind control on their victims. If a Goa'uld did take a Wraith as a host couldnt the Wraith just like mind control the symbyote? I think I am over thinking this. but very interesting concept.

    As for the Tau'ri being selfish, I dont think they were. Like with the SGC, it was a top secret expedition. Im sure the less people that knew about it the better. I was POed there was no sign of an Irish person on it though. You saw nearly every other nationality on Atlantis. >:(


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    SarahBM wrote: »
    Would the Goa'uld be able to compete with the Wraith mental abilities, though? Aren't the Wraith able to assert a certain amount of mind control on their victims. If a Goa'uld did take a Wraith as a host couldnt the Wraith just like mind control the symbyote? I think I am over thinking this. but very interesting concept.

    As for the Tau'ri being selfish, I dont think they were. Like with the SGC, it was a top secret expedition. Im sure the less people that knew about it the better. I was POed there was no sign of an Irish person on it though. You saw nearly every other nationality on Atlantis. >:(

    Wasn't Doc Keller or someone talking at length about their background in some episode?
    Not sure if there was an Irish citizen but there was definitely someone who mentioned stuff to do with Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace


    SarahBM wrote: »
    As for the Tau'ri being selfish, I dont think they were. Like with the SGC, it was a top secret expedition. Im sure the less people that knew about it the better. I was POed there was no sign of an Irish person on it though. You saw nearly every other nationality on Atlantis. >:(

    Never looked into it but It looked all NATO.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM


    If it was the UN they would have had Irish soldiers and all! :D
    But then again they probably would have cast an american to do a bad Irish accent instead of casting an actual Irish person. a bug bear of mine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm


    I'm fairly sure I saw some iranians in atlantis, but a lot of it seemed to be at the discression of the actors.

    a/gaould was able to take control of an ascended ancient so I presume it would win in a mental battle with a wraith.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I saw some iranians in atlantis, but a lot of it seemed to be at the discression of the actors.

    Yeah I think the guy that was left in the space array/gun, destroying a hive ship before being destroyed inside the array himself by another hive ship, was middle eastern.
    a/gaould was able to take control of an ascended ancient so I presume it would win in a mental battle with a wraith.

    Annubis? He didn't take over an ascended being, he learned to ascend himself didn't he?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace


    Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I think the guy that was left in the space array/gun, destroying a hive ship before being destroyed inside the array himself by another hive ship, was middle eastern.

    Peter Grodin and he was English.
    Pity they killed him off, thought he fit in well as supporting cast.

    After posting I remembered the Japanese lady that sent videos home about McKay, episode near the end of first season.
    Annubis? He didn't take over an ascended being, he learned to ascend himself didn't he?

    Yeah he ascended by tricking the ancients.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm


    Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I think the guy that was left in the space array/gun, destroying a hive ship before being destroyed inside the array himself by another hive ship, was middle eastern.
    Peter Grodin, wore a prominent union jack on his uniform, bit sallow in complexion but very british.
    Annubis? He didn't take over an ascended being, he learned to ascend himself didn't he?

    trying to remember, the wiki says he tricked oma into ascending him, bu I was sure he'd taken an ascended human as host


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM


    Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I think the guy that was left in the space array/gun, destroying a hive ship before being destroyed inside the array himself by another hive ship, was middle eastern.

    I had to read this few times LOL

    I loved Grodin! he was cool. I have seen people with the New Zealand badge and South African badge. But no Irish. *shakes*

    Sure I thought everyone loved the Irish. :P

    OMG I had totally forgot about the Anubis story line! He was a very bad guy.

    Question, what does the IOA stand for and what exactly are they supposed to do???


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    SarahBM wrote: »
    Question, what does the IOA stand for and what exactly are they supposed to do???

    International Oversight Advisory

    Basically when the US came clean & admitted to the other world powers like China, the UK, France etc that they had a Stargate & had been using it for years...the only way everyone could agree to proceed fairly was to establish the IOA, which oversaw all Stargate ops & took control mostly from the US government.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM


    In other words international bureaucracy as opposed to just american bureaucracy! Nice!!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    SarahBM wrote: »
    In other words international bureaucracy as opposed to just american bureaucracy! Nice!!!

    In a nutshell :) The IOA was made up of all the nationalities of the major governments, to ensure that the US & Russia weren't reaping the rewards of advanced tech & not sharing it. It then spread out to almost direct control of all Stargate Ops


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm


    correction : interGalactic Bureaucracy , didn't they cut a deal with the pegasus alliance of nations near the end.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace


    SarahBM wrote: »
    Question, what does the IOA stand for and what exactly are they supposed to do???

    I love the episode where the SGC tell a few other countries about the Stargate, Thor putsKinsey in his place.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor


    I love the episode where the SGC tell a few other countries about the Stargate, Thor putsKinsey in his place.

    Kinsey: Commander Thor
    Big Grey Finger
    Thor: Supreme Commander
    :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin


    Kinsey is such a ***. He played Captain Jaleco in TNG too, & was exactly the same, a right *** :D


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor


    Myrddin wrote: »
    Kinsey is such a ***. He played Captain Jaleco in TNG too, & was exactly the same, a right *** :D

    He plays those roles well, if i was to see him as a nice guy now i wouldnt believe it!!


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith


    Bad guy in Robocop as well. Must suck to always play a total asshat.

    Huh...he also voiced Admiral Bosch, the NTF (rebel) commander in Freepace 2. You learn something new and completely useless everyday i guess.


Advertisement