Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triumph Spitfire owners - Carlow/South East?

Options
  • 31-10-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Actually my first time in this part of Boards but I hope it wont be my last! :)

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Triumph Spitfire at some stage, but before I make any rash decisions I'd love to get up close and personal with one, y'know, talk to someone whom knows their stuff, can give me pointers, tips, hell, maybe even bring me for a spin or.........maybe, just maybe, allow me to have a go; just so I could have a feel of what I was getting into. I've read all the various sites, seen the pics, guides, etc etc, but I'd like to see one in the flesh.

So yeah, I was just wondering if there was anyone in Carlow town, county or the immediate vacinity that might be kind enough to let me see their motor! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

hello and welcome along :)

I used to have one ,and a original Carlow one as well MIC 830 I think ..

1500 is the one to go for as far as I know ,but theirs better fellas on here that know a lot more than me on them .

good little motor ,but not my cup of tea anymore !

hope you find a good one ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You could pm KenSwe. He mentioned before he was in the Carlow Vintage Club so if theres a Spitfire around, he might know who has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

theres a really good one on done deal

i used to have one in the same colour and it looks great

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/triumph-spitfire-1500-full-restoration/5863332

might be a bit pricey but from bitter experience i can tell you buy the best one you can afford and maintain it. DO NOT buy a dog and try to restore it it'll cost you a bomb and break your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Join the Triumph Owners Club and they will surely give you plenty of help.

http://www.tcoc.ie/home

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

might be a bit pricey but from bitter experience i can tell you buy the best one you can afford and maintain it. DO NOT buy a dog and try to restore it it'll cost you a bomb and break your heart

Good advice - talk to some owners. Had a white '66 Mk2 for about 10 years, and yes, broke my heart (a) to sell it and (b) to think what I spent on it over the years. And have a bl**dy garage for it. A blast to drive.

Parts from the UK were always expensive (currency and shipping), and many of the Dublin breaking yards would not go back as far as the early 70s.

Recommend the Spitfire Graveyard in Sheffield for 2nd hand parts, TD Fitchett for new, and Rimmers if you're stuck.

Spend a bit more than you think you should - it'll be cheaper in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement