Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hauppauge HD PVR - PS2 recording

Options
  • 31-10-2013 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I have been recording with the PS2. But the captured video is small. Do all videos come out like this?

I have also noticed that it does not look great playing on a HD TV, Any way to fix this?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

When you mean small, how do you mean?

I assume the Hauppauge is recording in 360p, possibly 480, so the file size will be smaller and the game might be in a 4:3 aspect ratio as opposed to the traditional 16:9.

Also, an analogue SD recording by and large is going to look bad on a HD TV- the arcade and retro people might know if there's any way to round the edges and the like, but at the end of the day it's SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Its recording in 720 x 576i 50hz. The black edges come up like this...

I can crop around the black edges. But is there any other way? I've also heard recording with S-Video is better than composite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alowishus

There's generally a problem with non-HD systems and playing on a HDTV. I use my SNES through my HDTV (set up for streaming) and the quality is really blurry on the tv.

When I stream older consoles there is a way to improve the quality. I tend to run from the video capture device into amcap or OBS which gives the option of deinterlacing which can improve the quality a lot. So you can improve the recording quality but the actual tv output will be the same - essentially you are recording a recording on your computer monitor.

I haven't had any experience with using HD capture devices but in general I've heard they aren't really good for recording in standard definition.

I don't know what you use for editing after recording but I used Camtasia and when I recorded the files it was possible to stretch them into whatever aspect ratio you wanted. Also is it only cutscenes which have the bars? I always assumed that most cutscenes had bars, especially on PAL consoles. Bars were usually added as they were too lazy to optimise the games to run at the correct speeds.

Advertisement