Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tench bream ballyquirke moycullen

Options
  • 30-10-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Thinking about having a throw for tench and bream over the next few weeks. I have quiver tip rod and that is about the extent of my coarse fishing experience! was thinking about ballyquirke lough in moycullen. Any advice tips hints for this type of fishing?

P.S The lough was pretty bad with litterm beer cans plastic ground bait bags and tubs of worms. people really should be ashamed of themselves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Thinking about having a throw for tench and bream over the next few weeks. I have quiver tip rod and that is about the extent of my coarse fishing experience! was thinking about ballyquirke lough in moycullen. Any advice tips hints for this type of fishing?

P.S The lough was pretty bad with litterm beer cans plastic ground bait bags and tubs of worms. people really should be ashamed of themselves!

hi floattubet i have only limited experience in course fishing, but seeing as you have a quivertip rod your best bet for tench is using an open ended feeder, fill with groundbait and hemp, and a lobworm on the hook.

I caught a few tench on belvelly a few years ago and found lob worm was best for hook bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

ill be too busy fishing for the trout during those times just need something to do to kill some time in the winter months!

ill be too busy fishing for the trout during those times just need something to do to kill some time in the winter months!

if you want to fish now id advise you to fly fish for pike. Im a fly angler myself and i must say there great sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

i do that as well from my tube but some days its a bit cold to be bobbing on the water

• Advertisement

i do that as well from my tube but some days its a bit cold to be bobbing on the water

no doubt. Ders no way i wud be getting in a tube this time of the year..im not a massive fan of floattubes myself anyway ( bad experience in one ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lee, you will only catch Tench during the Trout season (warmer months), it's extremely unusual to catch them in the colder months, best bet would be to try for a few Roach with maggot and float tactics

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Go feeder fishing with your quiver tip. Find some slack water off a flooded river or on a canal that is flooded try hard up against the lock gate. Some brilliant roach fishing to be had. Your wasting you time looking for tench this time of the year.

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Go feeder fishing with your quiver tip. Find some slack water off a flooded river or on a canal that is flooded try hard up against the lock gate. Some brilliant roach fishing to be had. Your wasting you time looking for tench this time of the year.

Yes i agree i have only ever had tench in the summer.

Advertisement