Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with php/sql

Options
  • 30-10-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm working on a server side high-score table for a game, which feeds the players name and their score into a c# script.

Have a basic implementation working, but I want to add a character after name and score ("/" would do nicely), so I can split up the returned string and present it in a more appealing way. Can anyone show me how to do this? I've attached the code below, thanks.
    <?php
        // Send variables for the MySQL database class.
        $database = mysql_connect('123.456.789.012', 'username', 'password') or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
        mysql_select_db('xyz_scores') or die('Could not select database');

$query = "SELECT * FROM `scores` ORDER by `score` DESC LIMIT 5";
        $result = mysql_query($query) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());

$num_results = mysql_num_rows($result);  

for($i = 0; $i < $num_results; $i++)
        {
             $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
             echo $row['name'] . "\t" . $row['score'] . "\n";
        }
    ?>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

echo $row['name'] . "\t" . $row['score'] . "/\n";

I have only just started back to PHP, but I think '/' does not need to be escaped, so you can just add it where you want as it is. In you example I just put it in before the newline, '\n'.

Reference

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Thanks, will give it a try.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Keep in mind that the mysql_* functions are deprecated, and will stop working in a later release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the mysql_* functions are deprecated, and will stop working in a later release.

Ah you got there before me. :p

Yeah MySQL functions are no longer, MySQLi and PDO are in now.

If you haven't a clue of PDO your best to stick with MySQLi which isn't too different to MySQL, example below:

[PHP]
    <?php
    $db = mysqli_connect('host', 'user', 'pass', 'name');

$query = mysqli_query($db, "INSERT QUERY HERE");
    ?>
    [/PHP]

And so on.. So it's not too different.

PDO is completely different though. It's much more to learn but on the other hand its really handy once you get the hang of it.

[PHP]
    <?php

$db = new PDO('mysql:host=host;dbname=name', 'username', 'password');

try {
    $query = $db->query('INSERT QUERY HERE');
    } catch(PDOException $e) {
    die($e->getMessage());
    }

?>
    [/PHP]

Sorry if I went off on a tangent! Just letting you know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Talisman

I would definitely recommend using PDO for database access - it makes things far simpler to manage and you are less likely to develop bad habits. NetTuts Tutorial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Thanks guys, got it working now. Is replacing the depreciated functions just a matter of adding 'i' to the end of each mysql? Have pretty much 0 knowledge of php and sql.

Advertisement