Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V Core monitoring

Options
  • 30-10-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests im having an issue getting what I think are the real values:(

Was getting a weird reading of vddc from gpuz, was saying first card in crossfire was getting a max vddc 1.436v after a while of gaming. So downloaded HWiNFO64 to cross check and it said max vddc for the gpus was 1.25v after the same test which is exactly what it should be and a quick google suggests it could be a gpu z issue do happy enough with that.

So this is the point I noticed the max vcore for the cpu in hwinfo64 was 1.316v (3570k@4.4ghz) yet under prime95 torture test Cpu Z suggests the max vcore is 1.264v after watchingso im wondering which one to believe?

The average in hwinfo is 1.301v during prime so I reckon still within safe limits but id really like to know how to get the most accurate measurment.

I thought these programs used the same sensors on the motherboard for readings so should be the same?

EDIT: Actually I was reading VID insted of Vcore, didnt realise the Vcore was under the motherboard readings:(

Can anyone tell me the difference between VID and Vcore?
    Actually nevermind, did a bit of reading yesterday and I know what it is.

Seems I didnt have much luck with the silicon lottery,my i5 just does not want to go past 4.4ghz. It takes a wopping 1.290v max under load(prime 95) to keep it rock solid at 4.4ghz, anything less and there is instability, only minor but its there.

Gaming and everyday load the vcore max is 1.280v, thank god for offset mode, wouldn want that constantly going through the chip.

On the plus side, the difference between stock and 4.4ghz is very noticable!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

VID is the voltage your CPU is requesting. The Vcore reported in programs such as HWMonitor is the measured voltage actually supplied to the CPU. They differ due to:

1. droop
    2. any Vcore offset (or fixed Vcore) you may apply in the bios.

My 3770k needs at least 1.27 volts (measured) Vcore for stability at 4.4 GHz. It needs at least 1.32 volts for 4.5 GHz. I didn't see any noticeable impact on framerates for gaming so for the time being I put it back at stock clock with -100 mV offset to bring the temperature down (which lets me run fans at lowest speeds).

You said you find the difference between stock and 4.4GHz very noticeable - in what games or applications? I can see the difference in some cpu-bound benchmarks but so far not in any games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im in a similar situation with my 3570k,4.3GHz runs nicely at 1.25v and 4.4GHz requires 1.29v,the VID is showing as 1.311v at 4.4GHz. So im starting to think i should just stick with 4.3GHz,i am using an offset though so the voltage is only at load.

What i was reffering to improvement in games was that it really helps with minimum framerates and frame drops. Found that in certain games i was getting framerates below 60fps which was causing stutter as i use v sync locked at 60Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Ah, right. I was only checking average frame rates. Can you remember which games it helped with stuttering? I want to see if it makes any difference for me but it's a pain testing everything one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The very demanding games mostly and I play a lot of fps so frame drops and stuttering is not good.

Likes of Arma, BF3/4, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3.

Any game that has PhysX can cause frame drops if using an AMD card also, the physx is offloaded to the cpu if you have an AMD card.

If you run unigine heaven with an overclock and without an overclock you should see a difference in the min fps

Advertisement