Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad and Sky Sports TV app

Options
  • 30-10-2013 2:20pm
    #1
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭


    Hi all. Hope somebody can help me.

    I had a Sky Sports TV subscription for some years but have recently cancelled it because I simply wasn't getting value from the roughly €35 to €40 a month it was costing.

    I had it in mind to look for an iPad or 'hope' for one for Christmas (!) as I was of the belief that a Sky Sports TV app is available that gives you access to Sky Sports on the iPad for €5.99 a month. However, when I search in iTunes now, the Sky Sports Mobile TV app only comes up as an iPhone app (not iPad) and the description says you can watch on iPhone or iPod touch only:

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky-sports-tv/id453417026?mt=8

    So, am I just plain wrong to have believed it was also available for iPad?

    If it's relevant, I still have a Sky TV subscription for just the basic entertainment package, so I have a Sky user ID and password.

    Also - if I had the chance of picking up an older iPad second-hand, is there likely to be any problem in running newer apps on it due to the operating system being maybe out of date or whatever?

    Have to confess I'm not too technically-minded when it comes to the finer detail of that sort of thing, so I hope you don't baffle me with science!

    Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully helping me out.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED


    It works on iPad but isn't designed for iPad. Unfortunately the quality of the stream is pretty poor, that's why I ended up cancelling my subscription. If it was HD and built for iPad I would continue the service.

    Basically you can run the iPhone app on the iPad and it resizes to an almost perfect fit but the quality isn't very good.


    As for getting a second hand iPad, obviously the newer ones would be better for the future but Apple currently supports (and amazingly still sells) the iPad 2 with its current iOS 7 operating system. You should be able to pick up a used iPad 2 for a decent price after next Friday when the 5th one is released. The iPad 2 will suffice for your apps for now at least.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer


    Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi all. Hope somebody can help me.

    I had a Sky Sports TV subscription for some years but have recently cancelled it because I simply wasn't getting value from the roughly €35 to €40 a month it was costing.

    I had it in mind to look for an iPad or 'hope' for one for Christmas (!) as I was of the belief that a Sky Sports TV app is available that gives you access to Sky Sports on the iPad for €5.99 a month. However, when I search in iTunes now, the Sky Sports Mobile TV app only comes up as an iPhone app (not iPad) and the description says you can watch on iPhone or iPod touch only:

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky-sports-tv/id453417026?mt=8

    So, am I just plain wrong to have believed it was also available for iPad?

    If it's relevant, I still have a Sky TV subscription for just the basic entertainment package, so I have a Sky user ID and password.

    Also - if I had the chance of picking up an older iPad second-hand, is there likely to be any problem in running newer apps on it due to the operating system being maybe out of date or whatever?

    Have to confess I'm not too technically-minded when it comes to the finer detail of that sort of thing, so I hope you don't baffle me with science!

    Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully helping me out.
    That app was designed for iPhone but it works reasonably well on iPad also.

    I have been using it oon iPad for a year now and works out at excellent value. It's easy to close subscription a anytime too. Works out much cheaper than getting their iPad specific app as that's much more expensive.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman


    Thanks for the quick replies.

    Two different answers there! The first made me think 'sod that, then' but the second has me thinking it might be worth giving a go anyway and judging for myself if I'm happy with the quality. Now to just find an iPad..........!

    Another question, that might be fairly basic - if the app is designed for iPhone only, is there any difficulty in downloading it to an iPad instead, or how do you go about doing so?

    I'm not a complete novice....I do have an iPhone and am well used to downloading apps for it.....but obvioulsy have never tried doing hte same for an iPad, so just wondering how you get a phone app onto it instead.

    Thanks again, folks. Much appreciated.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED


    Duffryman wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies.

    Two different answers there! The first made me think 'sod that, then' but the second has me thinking it might be worth giving a go anyway and judging for myself if I'm happy with the quality. Now to just find an iPad..........!

    Another question, that might be fairly basic - if the app is designed for iPhone only, is there any difficulty in downloading it to an iPad instead, or how do you go about doing so?

    I'm not a complete novice....I do have an iPhone and am well used to downloading apps for it.....but obvioulsy have never tried doing hte same for an iPad, so just wondering how you get a phone app onto it instead.

    Thanks again, folks. Much appreciated.

    Well try it for a month anyway & you can always cancel straight away. It's certainly watchable but could be better.

    Download the iPhone app through iTunes and then drag it onto your iPad through iTunes as well. Simples :)


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel


    Quality depends on your internet connection. Mine is perfect if there is nothing else running on the network. Also Sky tend to have network issues just when you want to watch important games.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_


    Haven't they switched all of that to NOW TV (Sky's PAYG service) now? They charge like £9.99 for a day pass as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer


    LukeS_ wrote: »
    Haven't they switched all of that to NOW TV (Sky's PAYG service) now? They charge like £9.99 for a day pass as well.

    No, different service, iOS devices service not same as stuff onto a proper tv


Advertisement