Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is shankill rough?

Options
  • 30-10-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about moving to Shankill, either Olcovar or Glenbrae.

I've heard mixed things about Shanganagh Cliffs, Rathsallagh and Clifton which are all close to Glenbrae. Are these just bad reputations from a decade ago?

My girlfriend will be walking from the Dart station in the evening and if you get hassle around these areas i'd prefer to look somewhere else, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It may be very close to, but it's not exactly Killiney.

I reckon a good way to judge an area is hit the local pubs and see what the clientèle is like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It's a grand area, Olcovar is a good walk from the train station though, Glenbrae is closer to the council estates

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Olcovar would be handier using the 145 than the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Vanderlay Industries

Shankill is great - huge park, right beside the sea, dart, the 145 bus is regular and zips into town on the bus corridor. Brady's is nice and the food is above average for a pub. Plus you have a big town just down the road with Lidl and Superquinn on the Shankill side of Bray. They are going to re-develop the old shopping centre in Shankill village very soon. Something about protecting trees is holding it up but the plans have all been signed off by the council. Once that is finished, I genuinely think Shankill will be one of the loveliest villages on the east coast.

Yes there are council estates and yes I am sure there are a few not-so-nice individuals in those estates, but the walk from the dart up is well lit and the dart station is quite busy. I have no problem doing it. Olcovar is really well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86756290

yet another "is *** rough thread.

It's objective. You'd be better off asking about the crime rate and the local amenities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement