Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Wordpress site be transferred without SQL Database?

Options
  • 30-10-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I have transferred a Wordpress website to my hosting company and I have all the content files but was not provided with the SQL file for the database.
    As far as I knew this was needed but I am being told I dont need it! Is this true??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It depends, it is needed if you want all of your previous posts/comments and a good chunk of the configuration information.

You are most likely going to need the SQL database.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    I have transferred a Wordpress website to my hosting company and I have all the content files but was not provided with the SQL file for the database.
    As far as I knew this was needed but I am being told I dont need it! Is this true??

You need a database dump of the site, otherwise it will not be transferred fully. In fact the DB is what contains all the sites content, user logins etc. so it is probably more important than the files. (Wordpress XML backups do not contain plugin info, some plugin data etc. afaik so it's not a complete backup).
    If you have access to the previous hosting provider, open the DMBS (generally PHPMyAdmin) and export the database. On the new host you will then make a new db, assign a user to it and import the sql you exported earlier. Then you must re-configure Wordpress's wp-config.php to match your new db details

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thats what i thought! i think they were trying to convince me I didnt need it because nobody had bothered to ever make a backup of the database which I find unusual, its always first thing I do! Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

thanks for that info YoYo. I know how to transfer the database but unfortunately the previous people looking after the website never made any backups. i have now transferred it but have no copy of the database!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    thanks for that info YoYo. I know how to transfer the database but unfortunately the previous people looking after the website never made any backups. i have now transferred it but have no copy of the database!

Not good :( . Do you still have admin access to the old site out of interest? Even without control panel access if the site is still up you can install a Wordpress backup plugin which will also do a full SQL db dump.
    If you don't have db access all is not lost. But you'll need to re-build the site from scratch, configure menus/widget positions/install plugins etc. Google/Archive.org may have also cached your content page which may help if you've lost the content also.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

On a slightly related note l. Love Ms sql server express edition

Advertisement