Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

er, Airfix Magazine, WW1 Special

Options
  • 29-10-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

OK, a bit nerdy perhaps.

Picked up a copy of Airfix Model World magazine at my local newsagent as it has a "WW1 Special"

Articles include a Mark 1 tank, a Fokker Formidable fighter, an RE 8 biplane, a figure from 2nd Suffolk Regt at Le Cateau 1914, a Gotha bomber, a French SPAD XIII biplane. They may be only models but the detail/colour schemes are very good.

My youngest lad has just started Air Cadets (sort of scouts run by the RAF) and is talking about making model aircraft/vehicles (as I used to many years ago). Perhaps a chance to steer him towards WW1.

I'm assuming this might well be a run in to the WW1 centenary. Would be interested to know if any magazine articles start appearing in Ireland with a WW1 focus/article.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A lot of the german language magazines I see also did a lot of world war 1 specials recently, plus there were 2 hefty tomes and a number of other smaller books recently on sale in the book shop. I got one myself, 400 photos of the Austro-Hungarian experience for a tenner, great book.

There was a great resource website for infantry models in the 1/72 scale including all the available WW1 models, but it seems to have gone down within the last 2 days. Incase it does come back online its plasticsoldierreview.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

is there anything the German magazines/books are focusing on or are all aspects of WW1 being covered?

Would be interested to hear of anything re the development of German tanks or anything re German tunnellers.

The Austro-Hungarian photos sound interesting. I've seen some re the Austro-Hungarian army in Palestine/Jerusalem and some appear in a Facebook group I belong to but generally not something that gets much exposure.

is there anything the German magazines/books are focusing on or are all aspects of WW1 being covered?

Would be interested to hear of anything re the development of German tanks or anything re German tunnellers.

The Austro-Hungarian photos sound interesting. I've seen some re the Austro-Hungarian army in Palestine/Jerusalem and some appear in a Facebook group I belong to but generally not something that gets much exposure.
    So far it is mostly just about the war in general, nothing specific really but I expect that to change soon enough.

Yeah the photos are great, for me they are fascinating because in english language publication you here almost nothing about the fronts the A-Hs fought in , the Italian and Balkan campaigns.

One interesting picture in there is of a soldier standing on sentry duty wearing his stahlhelm back to front as the lower rear rim offered great protection to the forehead!

If you are ever in Vienna in the future you should really go to the military history museum, they have great exhibitions on some of the less known parts of european history. Unfortunately their WW1 section has been

closed for the past year while they do construction work on it, but I have a few pictures from when I was there before

2011_08160106_zpsa2adfde4.jpg

the car where it all began
    2011_08160091_zpsa35eefb9.jpg

2011_08160100_zpsea62253f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

nice photos. Not a museum I know about (or a city I've been to either). As if by magic, a photo just appeared on Facebook showing a unit of Austrian landwehr troops which I hope you'll be able to see :

Landwehr

The Airfix Magazine front cover and details can be found here

WW1 Special

The Mk I tank is depicted with the White Red White bands at the front. Not sure that these identification markings were used on the Mk I tanks. Will have to go and check this.

It's a great museum, also has an interesting section on the extinct Austrian navy, including this huge model of a battleship, at a 1:50 scale!

_MG_0046.JPG

http://www.viribusunitis.ca/Jalbum/Viribus%20Unitis/Scale%20Models/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement