Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming TV

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:59pm

Just Wondering can anyone recommend me a good 42" or 47" TV that is good for gaming?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

If its for gaming Id definitely look at Sonys lcds they have the lowest lag and in my opinion best overall picture I have a HX853 46" and I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I wouldnt game on anything bigger than a 24 inch monitor, too much eye strain otherwise and loss of performance.

BENQ design monitors specifically for gaming if you wanted to give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Been looking into a new TV myself. Will probably be ordering tomorrow. This site helped me out, especially in regards to lag:

TV Input Lag Test Database

Sony do seem to be the best in regards to lag imho as well.

wes wrote: »
    Been looking into a new TV myself. Will probably be ordering tomorrow. This site helped me out, especially in regards to lag:

TV Input Lag Test Database

Sony do seem to be the best in regards to lag imho as well.

Cheers for the link.

This Sony TV got a good review and is in a good price range. Says its good for gaming as well. - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm
    The Sony KDL-42W653A is one such TV: it handles both HD and SD feeds with great composure, and is above all a supreme large-screen gaming display

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've had very bad experiences using a Sony TV for gaming, specially: KDL32EX340

I had terribly bad motion blur on both the 360 & Xbox with it. Any red, grey, black colour would leave behind trails. Think of FIFA, when you are running down the wing with a player in the shadows at Old Trafford, and his red jersey leaves a trail behind him. Or in Farcry 3, when you enter a shop, and pan the camera left or right, and the shop keepers hair blurs across the screen in the opposite direction to which the camera is panning. Or in WWE'13, when using the 90's Rock or Mark Henry, and their hair leaves a trail behind them as they enter the arena.

I tried everything to reduce the effects of this. It annoyed me so much that it really started to put me off gaming so in the end I just had to return the TV.

In my experience LG TVs are by far the best for gaming (I've hooked up my consoles to 3 different models, and they've all been flawless). I got an LG to replace the Bravia and it's been brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wouldnt game on anything bigger than a 24 inch monitor, too much eye strain otherwise and loss of performance.

BENQ design monitors specifically for gaming if you wanted to give them a shout.

He said a TV, not a monitor though. With monitor I guess you're assuming he means for a PC, whereas with a "Gaming TV" you could guess he means console gaming 6ft away from his TV.

Yeah its a new TV for the Xbone or PS4 when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

To avoid motion blur you need a decent/pricier tv usually the 7-9 series in the sony lines will be better than the entry level ones but your best bet is to pop around to your local tv store and bring your console it saves alot of time and hassle if the tv doesnt perform the way you like.

The http://powercity.ie/?par=10-14-46W905 is about the same tv as I got last year but maybe a bit pricy the http://powercity.ie/?par=10-14-47W805 is a good gaming tv too but wont have a good contrast performance etc

Depending on your budget I dont think I'd buy a big lcd under €1000 as they tend not to be great if your budget is under €1000 Id say look at the samsung and panasonic plasmas as they would give a better picture than the cheap leds but you would have to contend with Image retention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just to follow up, this is the TV I bought to replace the Bravia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LN540V-Widescreen-Intelligent-Connectivity/dp/B00BS55PY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383142083&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+42inch

IMHO, you do not need to pay a kings ransom for a quality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers for the link.

This Sony TV got a good review and is in a good price range. Says its good for gaming as well. - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

This tv was recently sold by Argos for €490. Pity you didn't want the tv 2 weeks ago!

That reads spiteful, but it's anything but.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    This tv was recently sold by Argos for €490. Pity you didn't want the tv 2 weeks ago!

That reads spiteful, but it's anything but.

Haha no problem. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement