Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much data being used

Options
  • 29-10-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment, and have a wireless network (as do most of my neighbours). Two months running I've exceeded my data cap of 350GB, except that on average I use 25-30GB of data per month. I don't use netflix, or torrents, and unplugged the Sky box from the network in early September in case it was secretly downloading things.

I've been using Networx to monitor my data usage, and unplugged any extra devices (Wii, Sky Box) that might use data.
    There was one unknown device on the network, which I've booted off. I've changed the router admin password, and the wifi password. However, even while I was away for the last few days, my telco usage stats show that I was downloading about 20GB a day. I've changed both passwords again today.

With no unknown devices showing on the wifi network, and no hardwired devices plugged in, does anyone have any ideas what else could be causing the problem, and what other steps I can take to prevent this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if you isp is eircom phone in... a glitch on the data usage system between 13th and 15th of september caused the high usage. eircom will refund you on your next bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which ISP is it? Are the machine/s on the network switched off when this has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm not sure why I was being coy about it - it's SmartTelecom/Digiweb.

mike65 wrote: »
    Which ISP is it? Are the machine/s on the network switched off when this has happened?

Yes - I was away from Thursday evening until late last night, and all devices on the network were either with me, or switched off. The devices that weren't with me were the printer (powered off at the wall), the sky box (network cable physically unplugged at both ends) and the Wii (powered off at the wall). Smart did a reset for me on Friday (I got the email while I was away and called them), but Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues are showing as 19GB, 25GB, 20GB and 27GB down, with negligible up.

Edit:
    Next time I'm away for a day or so I plan on powering off the router completely, which would give a definite answer as to whether it's really coming from my account, but that won't be for a while. If I'd got the notification before I left I'd have done it this time.

Have you tried using a third party traffic monitor as a matter of interest? download bitmeter
    and see if it and your ISP figures agree or not.

http://download.cnet.com/BitMeter-2/3000-2381_4-10398686.html

• Advertisement

I'm using Networx (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/) for that, and its figures match with what I'd expect - 1-2GB per day (including up and down), which is about a tenth of what the ISP figures show.

Interesting problem, I had something on the same lines here is the link

Different set up but same basic issue

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

can you log in and get the mac addresses of the devices that were on the network ?

Interesting problem, I had something on the same lines here is the link

Different set up but same basic issue
    How was that resolved in the end? There was some work done in August at the junction box where all the feeds come in to the apartments, and I'm convinced they swapped me around with someone else then. They're saying that's impossible. Regardless, I never had the issue before then :S
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    can you log in and get the mac addresses of the devices that were on the network ?
    I did, and kicked off anything that I didn't recognise, and labelled the ones I do recognise, and switched it to not allow any other connections. I'll have to change that again in a few days time, but have the network as locked down as I know how to for now.

I was not resolved as such. I now power down the modem when its not in use for more than say 30 mins. I've not had any problems since.

• Advertisement

I was not resolved as such. I now power down the modem when its not in use for more than say 30 mins. I've not had any problems since.

Do you think something of yours is sending large spikes of background data, or that someone else was using yours?

No I only run the PC off the modem by cable link (no wifi router involved). I tend to think digiwebs counting software is not as reliable as they have you believe but its nothing I can prove.

The usage showing for today is far more normal - under 2GB for the day so far. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to see how it's going, and ask Smart to do a reset. The problem now is that I don't know whether it was fixed by my changing the password etc, or by Smart doing something at the junction box. A neighbour mentioned that she'd seen them there early this morning.

I'll probably never know. Does anyone know if there's some way to auto scrape the usage stats, so that I can get an alert if it goes over a certain amount per day?

does your pcs have win 8?

if yes did they recently update to win 8.1? each updated pc would have burned 3.5gb of your usage

yup win 8.1 update is 3.5gb and they can only be updated through windows update unless you have an msdn account where u can only get the standalone updater that works only on win 8 pro

does your pcs have win 8?

if yes did they recently update to win 8.1? each updated pc would have burned 3.5gb of your usage

No, but even if it did, 3.5GB would be in the tuppenny hapenny place - this was a steady 20GB every single day for a couple of months. The cap is 350GB in a rolling 30 day period. I'd use maybe 50GB during that period, so I wouldn't be concerned by the odd large download like an OS patch. With my normal usage I'd expect to be able to download a movie on the Sky box daily, and still not hit the cap (I don't, but 350GB is big).

If it was someone using my wifi, I'd love to know wtf they were downloading. If they were torrenting, I'd expect to see high uploads as well. Though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised if the kind of person who'd steal wifi wouldn't seed.

Thoie wrote: »
    No, but even if it did, 3.5GB would be in the tuppenny hapenny place - this was a steady 20GB every single day for a couple of months. The cap is 350GB in a rolling 30 day period. I'd use maybe 50GB during that period, so I wouldn't be concerned by the odd large download like an OS patch. With my normal usage I'd expect to be able to download a movie on the Sky box daily, and still not hit the cap (I don't, but 350GB is big).

If it was someone using my wifi, I'd love to know wtf they were downloading. If they were torrenting, I'd expect to see high uploads as well. Though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised if the kind of person who'd steal wifi wouldn't seed.

you can try this

1. change admin password on wifi modem do not share this password with your kids
    2. change wifi password make sure you use wpa2 - psk encryption and dont share this key with anyone (connect your kid's devices yourself)

this will kick off any moochers

3. download and update, immunize & run spybot on ALL pcs to clear your computers of malware

4. threathen dodgyweb to cancel unless they increase the cap limit - (if enough dodgy customers do it dodgy web will have to increase cap limits to retain customers)

Advertisement