Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any jobs for Registered Nutritionists??

Options
  • 29-10-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm a recent graduate with a MSc in Public Health Nutrition and a BSc in Food Science. I'm registered with the Association for Nutrition as a Associate Nutritionist.

The problem is I can't find any jobs going in Ireland and I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation or has any advice for me?

I have contacted organisations like SafeFood and the Safety Authority of Ireland and have been looking on University Websites for Research Assistant positions and have applied for some jobs but have had no look. I've also been looking on websites like Indeed.ie, Irishjobs.ie,hse.ie .

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cindy11

If you cannot find any job.. I advice you to start your own business.. coaching people.. or running groups about healthy eating..The Dublin City Entreprise board has lot of course how to become financially independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The problem with doing what Cindy suggested would be differentiating yourself from unqualified quacks.

While you have a BSc in Food Science and a MSc in Public Health Nutrition, I'm sure you are aware that absolutely anyone is allowed to call themselves a 'Nutritionist' - as it is not a protected term in law.

The fact that you are an Associate member of the A for N should help, but as far as I can see that seems to be (thus far) a voluntary organisation.

The sooner that an organisation such as the A for N becomes a statutory body (like for example the Medical Council, Pharmaceutical Society and Society of Chartered Physiotherapists are), the better. At the same time that that happens, the term 'Nutritionist' needs to become a protected one, which is reserved for those who hold at a minimum a 4 year bachelor degree in Human Nutrition or an appropriate bachelor/master combo such as yours, from a recognised university.

Then and only then will hateful quacks like "Dr" Gillian McKeith be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Good luck.

Advertisement