Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codeine Linctus Cough Syrup

Options
  • 29-10-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

I have a bad dry cough and chest infection and my doctor suggested i get "care codeine linctus syrup"

But none of the chemists or pharmacy's have it ??

any help appreciated

david

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

pudzey101 wrote: »
    I have a bad dry cough and chest infection and my doctor suggested i get "care codeine linctus syrup"

If that's what your doctor said, then s/he doesn't know what s/he's talking about. There is no Medicinal Product licensed by the Irish Medicines Board by that name. Ask for 'Codinex'.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    But none of the chemists or pharmacy's have it ??
    (my emphasis)

Just what do you think is the difference between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

Just what do you think is the difference between the two?

I always refer to myself as a chemist if someone asks me what I do- old habit from my grandmother bringing me to the "chemist" down the road when I was younger

(I'm a pharmacist btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I always refer to myself as a chemist if someone asks me what I do- old habit from my grandmother bringing me to the "chemist" down the road when I was younger

(I'm a pharmacist btw)

You're not a chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

You're not a chemist.

Its a colloquial term which members of the public recognise - please lets not get into an argument about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Its a colloquial term .....

In my day the term was "dispensing chemist". It may still be more than just a colloquial term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Mod note

Can we deal with the OP's query please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

To be honest more than likely they do have it but due to the massive abuse potential and restriction in sale of codeine-containing products many pharmacists are unwilling to sell it. You'd be better off getting your Doctor to write you a script for it (or even write the name on a post it with their stamp) and I'd say you'll suddenly find somewhere that has it in stock...

I'm not saying everywhere does this, lots of places don't stock it again due to the high abuse potential but many do

Advertisement