Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C F2P S*** Canned

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How bad is bad? What was wrong or different about it from previous C&Cs; or is there an NDA still in effect preventing you from disclosing details?

Perhaps they'll do like games such as Shipbreakers and simply go full retail instead of the F2P model...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

wow
    was actually looking forward to this
    can't remember the last c&c game I played but was looking at playing my rts type games even if free

ah well
    are they not releasing a full AAA title? thought id seen that someone last year I think
    or was that just this f2p game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I genuinely think the last games I truly enjoyed were Red Alert and Retaliation...I didn't even like Red Alert 2 or 3. Still play Red Alert system-link on the psx the rare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No clue on NDA, but I guess if its **** canned, there is no point hidding anything for them?

It looked bad and I am not even talking todays standarts. The Idea of different generals was bad. In LoL you got just one Character and 4 abilities. In C&C You got Generals, who got 4 abilities, unique units, different prices etc. I have no Idea how would they balance that all out, I am not even talking about learning to play all of the generals, when you wount even have access to them due to F2P nature.

Everything felt very clunky and Raw. I know its Alpha, but it was just really bad. I honestly think C&C 3 was vastly superior visuals and physics way. Thats even before path finding kicks in....

Its just a mess and I could not even put C&C name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was really looking forward to a new generals game but once i heard it was going to be a f2p game i had a feeling that wouldnt end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wtf? i heard from a few testers and some websites it was back to generals level of gameplay and goodness.. the hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Wtf? i heard from a few testers and some websites it was back to generals level of gameplay and goodness.. the hell?

The latest alpha build i played was very good, Generals Good and pretty well balanced too

such a shame it got cancelled WTF EA

It looked bad and I am not even talking todays standarts. The Idea of different generals was bad. In LoL you got just one Character and 4 abilities. In C&C You got Generals, who got 4 abilities, unique units, different prices etc. I have no Idea how would they balance that all out, I am not even talking about learning to play all of the generals, when you wount even have access to them due to F2P nature.

Everything felt very clunky and Raw. I know its Alpha, but it was just really bad. I honestly think C&C 3 was vastly superior visuals and physics way. Thats even before path finding kicks in....

Just to comment on balance quite a few of old competitive player were in a balance alpha and we tore it a new asshole and they fixed it mostly (as much as they could)

the latest build i played (balanced build) didnt appear on the mainstream beta

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was this meant to be generals 2 yeah?but they changed the name?

yep, the very same.

• Advertisement

ya i think. Generals 2 began development as a full title by EALA got scrapped moved to Bioware Victory renamed and turned into an f2p reboot, first without campaign, then with, then without.

and here we are

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

yep, the very same.

Why in gods name did they can generals and go for this free to play model for? they would have made a lot of cash with generals 2 I'd say.

they wanted to make a golden calf out of it, free2play with tonnes of microtransactions. something akin to worldoftanks and warthunder etc..

I dont know what kind of model they were going to implement but it obviously didnt go down well with the majority of the alpha testers. Going by some the comments here and there and all over, the game was solid, the MT mechanics sucked and there was no single player campaign.

Personally i only ever played C&C single player, i had a brief stint into multiplayer once or twice and was promptly owned and decided it wasnt my style of play. I was interested in this title because it would have had a single player campaign eventually and more importantly, co-op campaigns.

Bit annoyed that EA canned the entire studio for what is basically some suit wearing jerkoff's decision to make it a cash cow and milk the audience for all their worth. Looks like the milk turned sour in alpha thankfully, and i honestly hope that EA learn from this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Why in gods name did they can generals and go for this free to play model for? they would have made a lot of cash with generals 2 I'd say.

i dunno.. rts is kind of a dead genre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's worth pointing out by the way that while it sucks for any C&C fans, Victory Studios, the company charged with making the thing, has been shut down too. No idea how many jobs that equates but there's a definite cost to people's livelihoods in all this unfortunately. It's surprising as correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a relatively new studio to begin with?
    i dunno.. rts is kind of a dead genre

Starcraft 2 and CoH2 (which I presume is doing ok) would disagree with you, and RTS was never the biggest genre out there anyway. There's plenty of room for another C&C with a strong community, turning it into a F2P nickle-and-dime operation is not the answer however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well given the rise in discount sales from Steam, GoG and GreenManGaming in the recent years, a lot of PC gamers (myself included most definitely included) adopt a "wait till its about €15" approach to games.

Maybe that, plus the fact the C&C brand is in a very bad way right now (anyone buy or even play C&C4??) they figured a full price release might not work out, cost wise. Add onto that the titanic rise of competitive FtP games like Lol and Dota2 with tens of millions of players each and dominating the e-sports scene, perhaps the thought it was for the best to go FtP.

All speculation, but it is odd to completely scrap it this late into development, anyone know how far along it was? Early stage beta or a few months from release?

it was meant to released last year, they canned that too, and it's been in alpha for a few months. Tbh, i dont think they wanted to release it at all, which is why they had a closed alpha for the public

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

R.I.P. Westwood

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bring back cheesy fmv's (and Kari Wuhrer as Tanya) and the OT gameplay of Red Alert 2 please.

Just don't be **** like Red Alert 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

pixelburp wrote: »
    Starcraft 2 and CoH2 (which I presume is doing ok) would disagree with you, and RTS was never the biggest genre out there anyway. There's plenty of room for another C&C with a strong community, turning it into a F2P nickle-and-dime operation is not the answer however.

SC2 is an anomaly, just like most Blizzard games. CoH2 may make a profit, it's not going to be a roaring success though unfortunately (the devs did go through hell to get that game out though from what rumours got out). F2P nickle and dime crap is just a symptom of how hard it is to turn a profit on these games right now and that's an indication of just how niche the genre has become compared to the huge variety we had in the late 90s in the genre.

RTS has a few key problems: a) PC-only, figure out a way to make the genre work on a console and you'll turn it into a goldmine, b) dominated by a very small number of strong IPs which all newcomers need to live up to, c) expensive because of b), especially on the post-sale support part, d) are very hard to keep balanced, players will keep finding ways to break your balancing unless you simplify the game to the point where no one will play it, e) punishingly hard to get into, the learning curve is very, very steep in this genre for newcomers (MOBAs tend to share this problem), f) generally 1v1, now I like this personally but a lot of people seem to much prefer team games or you against loads of people, I guess because it focuses less attention on you being bad at the game. :P (and because team games with organised teams and Mumble/TS are a lot of fun)

RTS is in trouble. I hope it doesn't go the way of TBS and drop totally off the mainstream radar (I'd happily part with AAA pricetag money for a high production values hex based wargame but that isn't happening any time soon or ever :().

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

my favorite generals moment:

picking the air force general, being the blue guy on an island map. Watching my roommates try to guess my poker face for 45 minutes while we each dicked around with hit and runs. they wondered why my air strikes always seems to strike paydirt and when they hit my base the birds were never home.

Basically, blue dots in a holding pattern over a body of water don't show up on a laptop's minimap too well. I took full advantage of this fact.

They wouldnt let me be blue ever again after that. I always had to be bright green

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A, what a shame. damn EA. Love me some RTS. Sticking to FAF these days, though. Just feels better than any modern RTS given the amount of community driven balancing and enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The F2P model had me worried about C&C, when I looked at the gameplay trailers there was always a part of me that was screaming this isn't proper C&C.

I hope EA go back to the drawing board and give us another generals 2 or Red Alert 4.

Or refound Westwood. That'd be nice.

nesf wrote: »
    SC2 is an anomaly, just like most Blizzard games. CoH2 may make a profit, it's not going to be a roaring success though unfortunately (the devs did go through hell to get that game out though from what rumours got out). F2P nickle and dime crap is just a symptom of how hard it is to turn a profit on these games right now and that's an indication of just how niche the genre has become compared to the huge variety we had in the late 90s in the genre.

In fairness, Nickle and Dime operations are springing up in all genres, FPS being the most common by the looks of things, so I don't think it's a case of being the only avenue open to RTS games to make money. EA just got greedy in my eyes and probably didn't properly plan out whether that kind of business plan can work in RTS. I haven't played the Generals Beta but I always had a belief you couldn't transplant the unit/base building aspect of RTS into a micro transactions format.

RTS has a few key problems: a) PC-only, figure out a way to make the genre work on a console and you'll turn it into a goldmine,

How did that Halo RTS go down? That was console-only affair iirc, and what scattered memories I have of it, reviews seemed to praise how smoothly they adopted the base-building RTS to a console controller...

As for the rest of your list, I agree for the most part, although again they're not exactly situations unique to RTS really; you could use the approximate same list to describe the average FPS or MMRPG franchise, no? Particularly the MMORPG market where 1/2 massive IPs have a monopoly on the field (and arguably have far greater support costs than the average RTS might have). I'd say it's a simple case that RTS games are a bit more involved and require the kind of strategic / lateral thinking that wouldn't interest the mass-market. Most people just want to shoot things in the face :( Like I said, I don't think RTS was ever a huge market in the first place, even in its heyday of SC1 / C&C: Red Alert 1 / Total Annihilation...
    RTS is in trouble. I hope it doesn't go the way of TBS and drop totally off the mainstream radar (I'd happily part with AAA pricetag money for a high production values hex based wargame but that isn't happening any time soon or ever ).

Like lots of apparently 'dead' genres such as the isometric adventure game, Kickstarter is breathing new life into them (for the isometrics, see Shadowrun Returns or Wasteland 2) so if the big brands were to hit the wall, I could easily see many RTS projects springing up on Kickstarter to fill the gap. Heck, I'm surprised they haven't already.

As for your own desires for a hex-based, today is your lucky day! There's one already well funded (they hit some stretch goals too) and in beta testing, check out Battle Worlds: Kronos, a turn-based RTS played over a hex-map :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There are multiple RTS games on Kickstarter including the Annihilation one and honestly I think that's how most games will end up eventually. Smaller scale (green light on Steam) with smaller price tag but then again do you really need real life "movie stars" to be filmed saying some canned lines in a RTS?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The questions about the sort of RTS you're making are very important and I'm not sure EA answered them with this C&C.

Are you making a story driven single player game? This is easier to get right I think.

Are you trying to make a competitive multiplayer/e-sports game? You won't overtake SC2 and unless you can draw major players/names within the RTS Competitive community, you're dead in the water. SC2's numbers have dwindled a lot to MOBAs like LoL and DOTA2, so you need to see if there's some way you can bring that sort of thing into the C&C universe.

I'm a big fan of the single player C&C games, never much played the multi, but have had some fun with it playing against friends on LAN - the parachuting tanks Chinese guy in Generals was awesome - you could drop an unstoppable army somewhere on the sly whilst engaging your opponent in skirmishes to keep him busy and away from whatever corner of the map you were building up a death ball of tanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I loved the first c&c and ra 1 & 2 but I dont have the time for rts games anymore. You cant pick them up and drop them. You need a window of play.
    I was never into the online mode as your opponent would vary too much and quit half way through. It was fun with friends though.

In fairness, Nickle and Dime operations are springing up in all genres, FPS being the most common by the looks of things, so I don't think it's a case of being the only avenue open to RTS games to make money. EA just got greedy in my eyes and probably didn't properly plan out whether that kind of business plan can work in RTS. I haven't played the Generals Beta but I always had a belief you couldn't transplant the unit/base building aspect of RTS into a micro transactions format.

Yeah I mostly agree with you because the point generally stands, non-subscription based big budget games are becoming harder and harder to turn a profit on when they're not already dominant IPs in their genre. Whilst FTP games and subscription games are rolling around in cash.

How did that Halo RTS go down? That was console-only affair iirc, and what scattered memories I have of it, reviews seemed to praise how smoothly they adopted the base-building RTS to a console controller...

This was kind of my point. "Base building RTSs" of the traditional variety are what are having the most trouble. Far too many people just aren't interested in precisely hitting hotkeys for several minutes before any action starts. So we're seeing a lot of answers to this question, e.g. Total War's removal of the base building into a turn based element that can be mostly automated, MOBA's stripping away of the base and units from WC3, Sins of a Solar Empire's extremely streamlined RTS/4x hybrid etc. Traditional base building RTSs like CoH2 or SC2 are what are dying out.

As for the rest of your list, I agree for the most part, although again they're not exactly situations unique to RTS really; you could use the approximate same list to describe the average FPS or MMRPG franchise, no? Particularly the MMORPG market where 1/2 massive IPs have a monopoly on the field (and arguably have far greater support costs than the average RTS might have). I'd say it's a simple case that RTS games are a bit more involved and require the kind of strategic / lateral thinking that wouldn't interest the mass-market. Most people just want to shoot things in the face :( Like I said, I don't think RTS was ever a huge market in the first place, even in its heyday of SC1 / C&C: Red Alert 1 / Total Annihilation...

Yeah, again I agree. Mostly it's due to budgets for regular AAA games far outstripping what the non-dominant IPs can expect to rake back in. RTS was a much bigger market back in the day, but you have to remember that a lot of the dominant genres today were still in their infancy back then. Command & Conquer came out five years before the original CounterStrike and was a contemporary of Doom II. Dune II came out the year before Wolfenstein 3d ffs! Different days. :D

Like lots of apparently 'dead' genres such as the isometric adventure game, Kickstarter is breathing new life into them (for the isometrics, see Shadowrun Returns or Wasteland 2) so if the big brands were to hit the wall, I could easily see many RTS projects springing up on Kickstarter to fill the gap. Heck, I'm surprised they haven't already.

As for your own desires for a hex-based, today is your lucky day! There's one already well funded (they hit some stretch goals too) and in beta testing, check out Battle Worlds: Kronos, a turn-based RTS played over a hex-map :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

Cheers, I normally hand over too much money to Slitherine who have been using indiegogo etc. :)

Kickstarter et al are the way forward for niche genres that struggle to attract mainstream funding, like traditional RTS games and TBS games, no question. I've backed quite a few games that I know for a fact would never see light of day without crowdfunding. I think this is a good thing, sure some people will be burned backing the wrong project but I think once we have developers with a good track record putting up projects things will work out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Reminds me fo the C&C FPS which also failed badly, IIRC.

=-=

Age of Empires, C&C, and Starcraft are the main RTS's that come to mind. Starcraft would've died if not for the Koreans in fairness, though, imo.

Company of Heroes isn't doing too bad for itself, but it's a different style of gameplay to the above three, as you're in charge of a small force attacking other small forces, on a smaller map. Thus they're trying to push it as a fast paced game, so people will play it, away fromteh C&C build an empire and attack the enemy mindset...

Came across one called "Battle Worlds: Kronos", but unsure if it's a C&C RTS or not. BW:K came about through Kickstarter.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Came across one called "Battle Worlds: Kronos", but unsure if it's a C&C RTS or not. BW:K came about through Kickstarter.

Just got it on Steam. It's a TBS, think Battle Isle if you played any of them.

Advertisement