Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble reinstalling Linux distros with a UEFI laptop (having worked the first time)

Options
  • 29-10-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I recently got a new Windows 8 laptop (Asus X502C) which I would like to set up as a dual boot machine. The thing is, I initially had Linux running OK on it. What I did was disable UEFI, enabled CSM and set my USB stick with Ubuntu 12.04 on it to boot preference. I installed Ubuntu onto what was drive D and all went well. I was able to boot up into it when I disabled UEFI and was able to boot up into Windows 8 when I enabled it. No problems so far.

The reason I chose Ubuntu initially was that I understood it worked with UEFI (12.04.3 is supposed to support this). My laptop didn't want to boot into Ubuntu with UEFI enabled. It did show up a grub menu but wouldn't load up when I selected to boot into Ubuntu. Neither did the install option work. At this stage, I disabled UEFI and decided to install it without it. Success! It worked.

I had initially wanted to install Debian Wheezy but wasn't sure if it would work but having gone through the process and seeing that Ubuntu installed and ran when UEFI was disabled, I thought I would try installing Debian instead. When I did this and rebooted, I was greeted by the grub prompt (similar to this - http://i.stack.imgur.com/BLbvW.jpg). I thought if I reinstalled Ubuntu, as I had done initially, that this would be a simple way around the grub issue and that I’d instead use Ubuntu, as I assumed at the time it would work better with the UEFI issue. I reinstalled Ubuntu but once again came across the grub prompt. I have since not been able to work around this. I am not sure why.

Seeing as I can't boot up in UEFI mode, I think CSM is my only option? If so, how do I once again get my computer to load up grub correctly so I can boot into my installations? I'm wondering what the install of Debian might have done? If I recall correctly, It asked me if I wanted to install to the MBR, and that if other operating systems were showing up, which they were, that it should be safe to do so. I'm wondering if allowing it to do this has caused these grub issues?

Also, with Ubuntu, if I try to install it since this issue arose, I get this message after manually setting up the install and swap partitions (I didn't get this message on the first successful install) -

“The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loaded code. This partition should be marked for use as a “Reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1MB in size. Note that this is not the same as a partition mounted on /boot.

If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later, although it may still be possible to install the boot loaded to a partition.”

So, in summary, I can't boot up from a live USB/install Linux in UEFI mode. I have decided that if I can do it in CSM mode and keep Windows 8, that would be the preferable option. How do I get back to this happening? Where should I install grub to? Any other input would be helpful. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

can you disable secure boot in uefi settings, and enable legacy bios from advanced menu (going from memory here, same problems on my latest asus MB) . Should work fine then.

Secure boot is a pain in the hole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Cmc29

Stuxnet wrote: »
    can you disable secure boot in uefi settings, and enable legacy bios from advanced menu (going from memory here, same problems on my latest asus MB) . Should work fine then.

Secure boot is a pain in the hole :)

I did disable secure boot (this is actually what i meant when i said i disabled UEFI). I then enabled CSM, which I understand provides legacy bios compatability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

“The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loaded code. This partition should be marked for use as a “Reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1MB in size. Note that this is not the same as a partition mounted on /boot.

Does that imply that the drive has GPT partitioning?

which, if so, seems rather at odds with
    I'm wondering what the install of Debian might have done? If I recall correctly, It asked me if I wanted to install to the MBR

Does that imply that the drive has GPT partitioning?

which, if so, seems rather at odds with

Yes, i think you're right. How do I work around this? Debian seemed to only give me the option to load the bootloader to MBR.

Does Debian use Grub Legacy?

IIRC this bootmanager is not GPT aware, so if that is the case it would be a matter of wiping the HDD, making a new set up using MBR and reinstall whatever OSs you wished to use.

Probably not what you want to do.

If you can boot a Linux OS (live?) and do
    fdisk -l

(lower case L)

that should give details of the drive regarding partitions etc.

• Advertisement

Does Debian use Grub Legacy?

IIRC this bootmanager is not GPT aware, so if that is the case it would be a matter of wiping the HDD, making a new set up using MBR and reinstall whatever OSs you wished to use.

Probably not what you want to do.

If you can boot a Linux OS (live?) and do
    fdisk -l

(lower case L)

that should give details of the drive regarding partitions etc.

I don't get any read out from
    fdisk -l

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Cmc29 wrote: »
    I don't get any read out from
    fdisk -l

You need to be root for fdisk

Try sudo fdisk -l

Wcool wrote: »
    You need to be root for fdisk

Try sudo fdisk -l

Here's the read out -

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x568814a2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 625142447 312571223+ ee GPT
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4076 MB, 4076863488 bytes
    126 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1019 cylinders, total 7962624 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000a91e9

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 62 7960427 3980183 b W95 FAT32

Something interesting that I also noticed was that even when I had Debian installed, in the uefi setting, the boot devices that were showing up were windows and ubuntu.

Here are all partitions in gparted

“The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loaded code. This partition should be marked for use as a “Reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1MB in size."

This seems to be referring to sda8 ... IF ... I am reading things correctly ..... and sda8 has a flag against it in Gparted.

I think someone with experience of GPT/Window/Linux should step in here.

I am not sure enough of this to properly advise, sorry. :o

• Advertisement

This seems to be referring to sda8 ... IF ... I am reading things correctly ..... and sda8 has a flag against it in Gparted.

I think someone with experience of GPT/Window/Linux should step in here.

I am not sure enough of this to properly advise, sorry. :o

I created sda8 myself because of that message. It didn't seem to make a difference though. Thanks for your help. I hope to get this issue sorted out yet. It used to be so straightforward. This is my first experience with UEFI/secure boot and it's frustrating to say the least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I got rid of that GPT partition .It was a pain to flute around with .All grand now .

rebeve wrote: »
    I got rid of that GPT partition .It was a pain to flute around with .All grand now .

But is there a way to do that without losing Windows 8? I would ideally like to be able to have a dual boot system. I'm sure there are no problems if i formatted the whole drive and installed a Linux distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

But is there a way to do that without losing Windows 8? I would ideally like to be able to have a dual boot system. I'm sure there are no problems if i formatted the whole drive and installed a Linux distro.

Create a GPT-formatted USB stick with Rufus and install with that. It worked mostly alright for me: have to select Ubuntu partition - Ubuntu couldn't see Windows 8 - through Boot Device (F12) instead of GRUB but no other issues. Your experience may vary (some distros may have it working right, it may be limited to Ubuntu (especially 13.04 and fixed in 13.10 or not broken in 12.04.3) or Debian).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I found win 8 an awful pain ,So I got rid of it and I dual boot linux and win 7 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Which distro of Linux??

Originally Posted by rebeve View Post
    Originally Posted by Cmc29

Not without losing the existing install because the partitions will be completely different.

Wetai wrote: »
    Create a GPT-formatted USB stick with Rufus and install with that. It worked mostly alright for me: have to select Ubuntu partition - Ubuntu couldn't see Windows 8 - through Boot Device (F12) instead of GRUB but no other issues. Your experience may vary (some distros may have it working right, it may be limited to Ubuntu (especially 13.04 and fixed in 13.10 or not broken in 12.04.3) or Debian).

I wasn't aware of Rufus. Thanks for the link. I will look into that option.
    excollier wrote: »
    Which distro of Linux??

Ideally Debian 7 but if it was easier to install Ubuntu, I would settle for 12.04, which is supposed to support secure boot. I am considering just installing Debian and getting rid of Windows but I will be patient for awhile before making the decision. Ideally, I would like to have it dual booted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Make sure you download 12.04.3 then, it will cut down on the updates once installed

Advertisement