Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 29-10-2013 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys wondering whats the best program for windows to log into SSH for updating a site ?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PuTTY.

edit: or winscp if you're talking about transferring files over SSH instead of FTP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is there a go site online to study the CMD of how to update it ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't know what you're updating or how, so I can't tell you that, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

putty is the defacto standard but I use ZOC terminal instead. with the amount of time I spend on my servers, it's worth the money for the extra features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Bitvise Tunnelier is also a good SFTP and has a SSH terminal build in also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

putty is the defacto standard but I use ZOC terminal instead. with the amount of time I spend on my servers, it's worth the money for the extra features.

Jesus. Is it that hard to run linux on a vm and save a few quid.

Jesus. Is it that hard to run linux on a vm and save a few quid.

Depends on your knowledge of Linux.

Something I didn't mention above actually is setting up a VNC if you can, makes things a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Depends on your knowledge of Linux.

It takes a day at most to be familiar enough with command line to ssh, sfpt, scp, sshfs, or anything you'd get with a paid windows application. Much rather learn some new (relatively easy, useful) skills rather than pay for a proprietary application on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Maybe you should see what extra features ZOC offers over PuTTY before you start banging the Down with proprietary/paid software drum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have been doing some basic CMD on putty today but like the website needs to be updated off putty and i am trying to work out how to update it

Any other website i have worked on has been in HTML and just changing the file and reuploading the new file to the host

Dosint help that the person whos in charge of the site doesn't even know basic HTML or how to use this LoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

What exactly are you trying to do?

SSH is basic terminal emulation in a secure wrapper, so you can do anything at the command line on your server.

If you want to transfer a file between your windows and server environment (which uses SSH), then check out scp (secure copy which works over the ssh protocol).

for example: scp yourfile.html username@yourserver.com:/any/folder

The above will copy yourfile.html from your current folder on your windows machine to your server and place it into "any/folder" path that you specify in the command line.

But Windows doesn't have scp (or ssh for that matter) so you have to put it on there. Check out cygwin which is an implementation of unix lke commands on the windows environment. That will give you a SSH and a SCP command (as well as lots of other useful stuff).

If you want to edit a file on the server which you've connected to with SSH (or Putty), then you need a server side editor - assuming you are running linux on your server, try nano. It's really basic but functional for basic edits. Other things like vi (a line editor) are not very easy to a new user but very powerful at the same time and can be scripted to do all sorts of stuff. If you have a lot of editing to do and are more comfortable with the windows environment then maybe do the SCP (above) in the reverse. for example

scp [email]username@yourserver.com:/any/folder/yourfile.html[/email] .

The above will copy a file 'yourfile.html' from the server 'yourserver' with the full stop/period at the end, drop it into your current folder on your windows box.

Then edit it from your windows box and reverse the procedure to send it back up to the server when your edits are complete.

All the above supposes I know what you are trying to do. I don't so some more detail would be useful.

It takes a day at most to be familiar enough with command line to ssh, sfpt, scp, sshfs, or anything you'd get with a paid windows application. Much rather learn some new (relatively easy, useful) skills rather than pay for a proprietary application on windows.

You misunderstood me, its easy to log in over SSH but there are thousands of commands available for Linux, and they take more than a day to learn.

Its good though, like everything you learn as you do, its not something that comes to you automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Swish

http://www.swish-sftp.org/

Under "Start" ---> "Computer" ----> C , D , E etc you get an extra icon called Swish

Click on that and add your server at the top - makes it just another folder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thats secure ftp, not ssh
    gctest50 wrote: »
    Swish

http://www.swish-sftp.org/

Under "Start" ---> "Computer" ----> C , D , E etc you get an extra icon called Swish

Click on that and add your server at the top - makes it just another folder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SSH usually is used for server configuration, upkeep, security checking, application installation etc etc. FTP is normally what you'd use to upload html files and website material.
    Have been doing some basic CMD on putty today but like the website needs to be updated off putty and i am trying to work out how to update it

Any other website i have worked on has been in HTML and just changing the file and reuploading the new file to the host

Dosint help that the person whos in charge of the site doesn't even know basic HTML or how to use this LoL

Advertisement