Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for gamers Deep Vein Thrombosois (DVT)

Options
  • 29-10-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Dear Gamers

A friend of mine was over from England at the weekend and advised me that he had buried his 20 year old son Christopher Staniforth . His son died after devloping DVT ( Deep vein trombosis) after a 12 hour marathon gaming session on line.

He has set up a website called take time out http://www.take-time-out.info/#! to warn gamers about the hidden dangers of inactivity and dehyrdration that can lead to DVT.

If you know anyone who actively games for long periods of time you might make them aware of the hidden dangers and pass on the link to the above site.

Kind Regards

David

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The warning is more so for anyone who is predominantly sedentary. Sitting for regular pro-longed periods of time brings about the risk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Geoff "inControl" Robinson who's a pro Star Craft 2 player for american team Evil Geniuses had a clot this year from DVT and was very lucky to get to the hospital in time to have it dealt with before it wandered into his lungs (which is usually what causes death in these cases AFAIK). So he's been doing a bit about this - basically the handiest and easiest way to avoid it is to stand up and walk around a little bit every hour on the hour no matter what it is you're doing. It'll only take a minute.

There's a pretty good article on it here on Complexity's site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The warning is more so for anyone who is predominantly sedentary. Sitting for regular pro-longed periods of time brings about the risk.

Even still, at 20, the sitting isn't going to be the main causal factor. Something else needs to be going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

nesf wrote: »
    Even still, at 20, the sitting isn't going to be the main causal factor. Something else needs to be going on.

I've seen stuff like this for years in reference to working in offices and long haul flights. It's not a particular thing for "gamers."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've seen stuff like this for years in reference to working in offices and long haul flights. It's not a particular thing for "gamers."

It is definitely not, although I can see how certain aspects of gaming can possibly increase the risk, as it's an engaging activity which might engross the player; More or less the same goes for watching movies / TV (even though the ad breaks can provide a "snap out" moment in the latter case).

In the office normally one gets up every now and then for a trip to the toilet or the cafeteria out of sheer boredom :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement