Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro 2033 + Last Light: should I play them in sequence then?

Options
  • 29-10-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Picked up Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light over the weekend in a steam sale.

Should I play them in sequence, then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Of course! Individually they are very good but the storyline progresses through them chronologically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Great games. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Had them both for ages but just completed 2033 at the weekend and getting stuck into Last Light now, both excellent games so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Had them both for ages but just completed 2033 at the weekend and getting stuck into Last Light now, both excellent games so far :)
    That's my plans made for this weekend so!

Finished both games now. Had a ball! Can't remember the last time I enjoyed an FPS so much. I mean, I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, but Metro succeeds in many places where that game fails.

For example, BI focuses a lot on consequence, choice etc, but you never really have any. That door won't open until you've killed everybody in the area.

You can play Metro: Last Light in Rambo mode or pacifist Solid Snake mode, and the game doesn't even make a big deal of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You can play Metro: Last Light in Rambo mode or pacifist Solid Snake mode, and the game doesn't even make a big deal of it.

Even the guys you have to kill, you really really want to, so it's ok.

There is actually a morality system in the game. Depending on your choices in the game you get different endings (a regular ending and a "Good" ending). If you ever played the game and heard a sound and saw a quick flash on the screen it usually means you earned a morality point.

E.g In one of the games you save a woman's son, when she tried to give you ammo as reward you can choose to take it or decline it. If you decline it you earn a morality point.

There is actually a morality system in the game. Depending on your choices in the game you get different endings (a regular ending and a "Good" ending). If you ever played the game and heard a sound and saw a quick flash on the screen it usually means you earned a morality point.
    Yep, I picked up on it during my game of 2033, especially at the end. But don't you just love how understated it is!

Yep, I picked up on it during my game of 2033, especially at the end. But don't you just love how understated it is!
    2033, totally. I didn't like Last Light as much as 2033, to be honest, but still had a lot of fun with it. Still have to play the DLC from Last Light. As has been said, the two games have two endings. The 'good' ending with Last Light doesn't feel right for the franchise IMO.

Now that you've actually played them to completion, read this and it'll make you appreciate the games even more.

The book to Metro 2033 is great. I'd recommend checking it out if you are much of a reader yourself. And y'know, with all this talking about Metro stuff, it reminded me about the Metro page on facebook where there was an ongoing project of translating the book to English. I think chapter 1 was done, or nearly done when I found out about it. My intention was to wait till the whole lot is done and read it then. I don't want to be waiting on for something to be finished.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    2033, totally. I didn't like Last Light as much as 2033, to be honest, but still had a lot of fun with it. Still have to play the DLC from Last Light. As has been said, the two games have two endings. The 'good' ending with Last Light doesn't feel right for the franchise IMO.

I'm the same, preferred 2033 because generally it was alot harder of a game, I feel the dumbed down the difficulty in Last Light. Last Light however is probably one of the most stunning looking games iv ever seen in a video game.

I agree with the ending too, the 'good' ending is pretty much non-canon for the series considering Last Light starts because of the regular ending in 2033.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Now that you've actually played them to completion, read this and it'll make you appreciate the games even more.

The book to Metro 2033 is great. I'd recommend checking it out if you are much of a reader yourself. And y'know, with all this talking about Metro stuff, it reminded me about the Metro page on facebook where there was an ongoing project of translating the book to English. I think chapter 1 was done, or nearly done when I found out about it. My intention was to wait till the whole lot is done and read it then. I don't want to be waiting on for something to be finished.

Even after playing the game the book is very worth while, I usually don't like to go to a book after seeing a movie/game/tv adaptation as most of us like to have our own mental image of things, but I found playing the game actually enhanced my mental image of the book as i read if that makes sense :o

As for the second one I had it read to me by a fluent russian speaker...... I asked her to stop after chapter 1 lol didn't go well her story telling skills left a lot to be desired "this guy the ranger he is in the metro" "wait do you know him ? was this character in the 1st book?" and so on. I plan on waiting for a full professional translation or at the very least a complete fan version that is considered to be a very good translation, I already know what happens in chapter one now in a "I got the gist kind of way"

The 'good' ending with Last Light doesn't feel right for the franchise IMO.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I do think it has some merit in the greater context of the game though, because
    up to that point, the only evidence for the Dark Ones being a force for good are the occasions where Artyom has been personally assisted by two individuals. Up to that point, we've been told they can be something wonderful, but there's been no proof.

But yes, the Deus Ex Machina thing doesn't complement the overall tone that well.

I'd heard something about the drama they went through, and could see no sign of it on the game, very impressive when you know all the details.

I have to be honest though, when I saw "Koch Media" on the intro screen the first time I felt a bit dirty. Those guys make Rupert Murdoch look like a gentleman. Beats the 4A team going broke, though.

calex71 wrote: »
    As for the second one I had it read to me by a fluent russian speaker...... I asked her to stop after chapter 1 lol didn't go well her story telling skills left a lot to be desired "this guy the ranger he is in the metro" "wait do you know him ? was this character in the 1st book?" and so on. I plan on waiting for a full professional translation or at the very least a complete fan version that is considered to be a very good translation, I already know what happens in chapter one now in a "I got the gist kind of way"
    I hear 2034 is, for a book, not very book like or something. I still want to check it out though. Dmitry has a facebook page if you or anyone else are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dmitry-Glukhovsky/194479440596424?fref=ts
    I can definitely see where you're coming from. I do think it has some merit in the greater context of the game though, because
    up to that point, the only evidence for the Dark Ones being a force for good are the occasions where Artyom has been personally assisted by two individuals. Up to that point, we've been told they can be something wonderful, but there's been no proof.

But yes, the Deus Ex Machina thing doesn't complement the overall tone that well.
    Well, honestly my criticism is probably more tone than substance I think... Given what happens in Last Light, I could 'buy' that the dark ones would help but to me it felt off somehow in the execution. Probably says more about me than the thing itself. Y'know these things they either resonate or they don't that kinda way.

Well, honestly my criticism is probably more tone than substance I think...
    I'd be inclined to agree with you there, in fairness.
    It's a bit of a christmas miracle.

I'd be inclined to agree with you there, in fairness.
    It's a bit of a christmas miracle.
    Nail on head with that.

Advertisement