Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've put it off long enough...

• 29-10-2013 1:31am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It's been eight years since I made my last game... I want to get back into it, even if I have to use my old-game as a basis... Been tempted to remake it in GameMaker and this time actually bother to make it more widely accessible compared to my first game, which was mostly made for experience and self-enjoyment and only really shared on YouTube, Boards and TheDailyClick so I surmise maybe 200'ish people have played it in total.

So, this means I have a few questions which I'll ask hypothetically.

Let's say I had intent of making it available for mobiles - What would be the optimal resolution to make a game in?

Secondly, what is the criteria for releasing a game on Steam? Regardless of whether it's free or purchase based?

These are questions I could research and read plenty of opinions on from various developers but am curious to see if users here also have a view or actual experience on such things.

Last question is a matter of resources. I will most likely use my old soundtrack and no doubt design most if not all of the main graphics, give or take a background or two - But I'd definitely need to look into some additional sounds, 'maybe' some tunes (Though I think I could get away with it in that regard using my own), and most likely some graphics/top down sprites for various events (Usual mumbo jumbo, explosions, fireballs and whatnot).

I can always pool resources from the old GamesFactory but only a handful of it's library is both suitable and of quality I would use.

My MAIN goal is to eventually get down to making my survival game, which will be taken much more seriously than a Breakout remake, but until I get more adept at Pixel Art that won't happen for quite some time, so this small project will just be a means to help me glide into building GameMaker experience in a simple form so I can springboard from there into the much more complex and demanding game I intend to make later.

Any/All discussion/feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I unfortunately won't be much help with publishing info or sound.
    Or maybe anything, but what the heck..

I had to use GameMaker for my work experience not that long ago to make an endless runner for a company exporting their games to HTML5 and using them for a games portal of sorts.
    Playable on browsers and mobiles.
    The resolution was I think 320 x480 I'd have to dig it out to see for sure.

Honestly I found Unity 3D easier to make my first 2D game in, even with the added axis to worry about and no experience/knowledge at all in programming.

With GameMaker(couple months after my 2D game) I had a lot of issues getting to grips with the drag and drop and mixing drag and drop commands with executable code.
    I presume you have used GameMaker before or something similar though.
    My experience with Unity was that once I got a hang of the extra axis, it was much easier and simpler to read code and organise the framework.
    Also I made loads of use of the particle systems to make the game look good.
    And just generally using GameObjects was very easy with Unity.
    My very first game ever was done in Unity and I was learning from scratch as I went(made it in 3 weeks).
    It was much better and more advanced than my later endeavour with GameMaker by far, which was made in the same amount of time and riddled with bugs.So much so I had to restart in the last week!

Sorry for the waffle there, my reason actually for posting was to do with you sprite art.
    I was wondering if you have access to 3DS max? Or a similar 3D program.
    Might also work with Blender which is totally free(but I have only done this in Max so far).

You can create models and animate them there, using lighting etc.
    Then use the viewport to position the camera at any angle you want.
    Then I render the viewport (after the render is cropped/clipped to just around the object) out as a png with alpha layer.
    And I was able to load it straight into Gamemaker to create a high detailed animated sprite.

If your character is a humanoid you can use Mixamo.com to auto rig a t-posed character model under 22k or so polygons. import to 3D program with a choice of like 3 animation (one being a handy zombie running anim!) and then render out the frames.

I would say once I got the hang of it properly I could from scratch create a very high detailed animated character animation from any angle.
    The model I took form my student version of mudbox.But you can make your own or find free ones maybe.

Just a thought if you are wanting to go the route of a high detailed game.
    Same can be done for backgrounds and other object sprites, using a 3D program...but i suppose this all depends if you can do a little 3D or just have already a fast way to make 2D sprites animate.

Anyway This might not help you, maybe will help someone in the right position ..sometime..

Good luck on the project :)
    Keep us updated!

I hear a lot form current developers when talking to them, that where most devs fail, is in making the game actually run nicely with good controls and movement etc.
    Long as you keep that in mind, your idea I am sure will turn out good.

Ah GameMaker, yes.
    I had to learn that after college to do an endless runner for an advertising type company.Games and brands basically.
    I spent ages trying to figure how to get the damn collisions to work properly.
    Character would fall through the floor or platforms or even sometimes when it jumped and landed again it would land into the floor and the next time slightly lower again.
    2 week work experience turned into 3 to get something done at all.
    And because Gamemaker was drag and drop and some code to do what I needed the game was really buggy.It ran ok but porting it to HTML5 for the website brought the bugs out where they werent seen before.

In the end, I had just the last week to do a really simplified version and was very annoyed I couldnt get anywhere near the one I did in C# on Unity while learning to code at the start of college.

Not to say Gamemaker is bad!
    It's really handy for prototyping especially and can make decent games.
    Great place to start out and probably just didnt suit me, I liked it all code.To me that was actually more simplified as I can read whats going on using monodevelop and tab between only a few scripts quicky. copy pasting code.
    But the coder using it was coming from a C# background and said after a while you do learn to work around the bugs that come with it.
    Probably the same with all drag and drop type 2D engines.

One handy little code I got off the coder there with Gamemaker for that platform issue was using y= ystart; so the player couldn't go past that point.
    Originally I was using
     if(place_meeting,x,y+1,obj_platform)
    {
        vspeed = 0;
        grav = 0;
    }

with the if statement and that y+1 i had learned developers sometimes call a collision one or two pixels before actual contact, because if the room speed is too fast or object is moving too fast, the code hasn't had time to detect the collision by the time the object has past that point and causes issues with falling through.
    Was using at one stage y+3 to try fix it and driving me nuts..

Possibly what you spoke of above with TGF?

Something maybe will come in handy if you haven't seen that before.
    Sorry if this is all too basic for you.Mah brain is fried with so much on lol
    Finding it hard sometimes to judge situations with others here sometimes...
    Hmm on that note. sleep....soonish :)

Game looked great too by the way.Nice sprite art and use of particles.

Looks great!
    I am organising a joint venture at the moment.And will possibly put updates or something on dev work for others to learn from...if I can get time free.

Looking forward to seeing how that project goes for you.Actually I may have opportunities too for you, but will get in touch if/when that is available.Still organising the team etc.

did you try Deviant art? Apparently a lot of artists on that looking for opportunities to use their work.maybe a lot of dodge available immediately but then maybe you can get lucky and find a student for portfolios?

• Advertisement
Advertisement