Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton not fixing virus

Options
  • 28-10-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have a virus on my computer.
    I ran norton who is telling me that there are no threats detected.
    What else can I do when the anti virus software cannot fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

What virus have you got? Or what are the symptoms you have

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

What virus have you got? Or what are the symptoms you have

Not sure what the virus is.
    Computer really slow, freezes frequently, cannot send email attachments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

it could be malware

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nino1 wrote: »

Remove Norton.
    Install a better anti virus.

I have been using and selling Eset Anti Virus for years, one of the better paid virus applications. Kaspersky is also worth a shot.

I'm not convinced AVG is a good free AV either, so if you don't want to pay then Avast isn't bad.

In your case it may be a mix of problems so run something like Spybot Search and Destroy in addition. There is another good, also free, app for malware and spyware. Can't for the life of me remember its name!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Did you try malware bytes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Id say its not an actual virus but rather just lots crap installed on the PC.
    Thats why its slow.

Email attachments youll need to tell us what it says when you try. Try use a different browser. If your on Internet explorer try Chrome.

Backup your photos or whatever else onto a drive and restore it back to day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Did you try uninstalling Norton? :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try running CCleaner and clean the system, as by the sounds of it it could be quite old since its cache etc etc was refreshed.

Norton could be taking up a lot of the CPU alright! Personally as far as antiviruses go I'd recommend Eset also.

Perhaps run Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and see if there are any threats?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I have been using comodo a/v for years its free & the best out their as you were told norton is only fit for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Hi, try this http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

I find this works well removing any virus that your usual anti-virus fails to remove :D.

Oh yeah its FREE too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fortysumting

Hi

I have been having similar problems, after much searching I have come across what looks like a treasure of free software

http://unitedpeople.ie/free.html

I wish you PC happiness !!

Advertisement