Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 transporter has a 2009 model engine?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query about a van I bought recently that has me confused. The Van is a VW Transporter with a reg of 2010. The engine however is a 1896cc model which ended in 2009. Is this common- The reason I am wondering is I was going to upgrade a few parts in the Van and don't know which years model I should be using as the 2010 model had an upgrade making many of the parts different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

the van was probably in vw stock for a few months and was only bought and registered in 2010. common enough i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Just a quick query about a van I bought recently that has me confused. The Van is a VW Transporter with a reg of 2010. The engine however is a 1896cc model which ended in 2009. Is this common- The reason I am wondering is I was going to upgrade a few parts in the Van and don't know which years model I should be using as the 2010 model had an upgrade making many of the parts different.

all you need is the engine code and everything will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The one that replaced it is the 2.0 TDI, yours is more robust and simpler to be fair.

What parts were you looking to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Is it the pre facelift or facelift model? As far as I know none of the newer shape vans had the 1.9 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Reg showing 10 number only tells that vehicle was first registered in 2010.
    It could be manufactured in any year before that. Could be even 10 years old.
    Reg doesn't really reflect vehicle age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Thanks for replies,

The part in particular that prompted my question was a radio update that would allow phone connection. there seems to be 2 types, 2010 to present and 2003 to 2009 hence my query.

It also has relevance for a potential remap as the power is only 84hp currently. Research seems to show that the 2010 engine is better for remap. It is good to here a thumbs up for the earlier engine though as reliability is more important. As for the newer shape I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

The year of manufacture will be in the vin. What does the 10th character say.

Most vehicles in Ireland are traditionally registered in January (up to recently) which makes it impossible to be manufactured in the same year as registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

dieselbug wrote: »
    The year of manufacture will be in the vin. What does the 10th character say.

Most vehicles in Ireland are traditionally registered in January (up to recently) which makes it impossible to be manufactured in the same year as registration.

Is this year of manufacture?

Advertisement