Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus London to Limerick

Options
  • 28-10-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Planning my journey home for Christmas and was thinking of taking the Euroline/Bus Eireann service as I can't justify the fortune Ryanair want from me.

It's €73 for standard and €53 for economy. From London Liverpool St right to Limerick

Is there a difference? I can't find any info on the website.

(Or if anyone has any suggestions/better options I'd love to hear them.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I think it's the type of seat you get on the ferry. Standard probably gives you a bed and economy is a seat. I think this is what it is so I'm open to correction here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I think it's the type of seat you get on the ferry. Standard probably gives you a bed and economy is a seat. I think this is what it is so I'm open to correction here

Doubt very much its a bed for that price.

Probably a better seat.

I wouldn't bother with it myself.

Out of curiousity OP. How much were Ryanair quoting you for a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Lapin wrote: »
    Doubt very much its a bed for that price.

Probably a better seat.

I wouldn't bother with it myself.

Out of curiousity OP. How much were Ryanair quoting you for a flight?

About £170 so nearly €200 :/ If it included a bag and it wasn't Ryanair I wouldn't mind :P

Might just call tomorrow and ask, I do like my comfort but I wouldn't wasnt and extra €20 on something that was only minor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

OP theres no diffrence in the type of seat you get on the bus or boat. The Economy ticket just cant be changed or refunded the standard can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Have you considered Sail/Rail? fast journey times and far less arduous compared with the bus. I did London to Kerry (Via Rosslare and Cork) and it was a very tiring and exhaustive journey. Also compare flights to Dublin or Cork airport instead, check out skyscanner.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

200 quid to go from one country to another at Christmas does not strike me as being a fortune.

No way is a bed in a cabin included for the 73 quid. They cost a heckuva lot more. You'll just be getting a seat.

Factor in the amount of money you'll spend on food, drinks, snacks etc etc for a trip that long. Hidden costs such as those can really add up the overall cost of a cheaper itinerary. You'll be on the road a long ass time and will arrive at your destinations on both legs of the trip knackered tired. I really don't see the point of putting yourself thru all that, at that time of the year, just to save 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Factor in the amount of money you'll spend on food, drinks, snacks etc etc for a trip that long. Hidden costs such as those can really add up the overall cost of a cheaper itinerary. You'll be on the road a long ass time and will arrive at your destinations on both legs of the trip knackered tired. I really don't see the point of putting yourself thru all that, at that time of the year, just to save 100 quid.
    This.

I've done Eurolines a couple of times years ago and it's just not worth it in the long run. You're literally a whole day travelling, it's exhausting and you get screwed over for every cup of coffee, every god-awful portion of what they serve as food in service stations and on the ferry, it's uncomfortable and if (as happened to me the last time I used Eurolines) you get stuck sat to someone with questionable hygiene there's the whole thing of the smell for the duration of the trip and sitting on the ferry knowing you'll have to endure it again when you get back on the bus.

Consider too how bad the ferry crossing might be at that time of year.

I would happily pay €200 knowing I'd be in Shannon in an hour or so.

As an alternative, have you looked at maybe flying into Dublin - there are more flights, so possibly better prices.

Flights are definitely a no. It may not be a lot of money to anyone here, but it is a big chunk to me.

All the sail/rail options I can find aren't complete journeys, they get you to Dublin port and that's it. Has anyone a better link?

I also want the freedom to bring bags home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Bruddygulp

I have to laugh at the cheapskates trying to save a few pennies by sitting on a bus for 24hours. My mate took the Greyhound bus in America for a long journey before and said he couldn't believe it when he saw the passengers squandering $10 on McDonalds and junk at every little gas station stop along the way. Probably could've paid for the quicker and more comfortable flight with the amount of money they wasted. What's the longest journey you've been on before this OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bruddygulp wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the cheapskates trying to save a few pennies by sitting on a bus for 24hours.

In fairness to the OP, she has indicated that the difference is more than a few pennies and with the extra baggage she intends to bring, it could be a hell of a lot more.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Flights are definitely a no. It may not be a lot of money to anyone here, but it is a big chunk to me.

All the sail/rail options I can find aren't complete journeys, they get you to Dublin port and that's it. Has anyone a better link?

The train is a hell of a lot more comfortable than the bus and not much more in terms of cost.

This is a good site with lots of tips and links for cross border train and ferry travel between European countries.

My own experience with rail/sail website bookings has been frustrating at times and I have often ended up doing it over the phone.

Your best bet if you get the chance is to call into the ticket office in Euston when you can, and make the booking over the counter there in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/

its 20euro more to get to Limerick. Theres no times for limerick but from the irish rail timetable theres trains at 7 or 8pm which will get you there that evening.

Would flying to Dublin and then getting to limerick by coach be an option?
    These lads run busses every hour to and from limerick to Dublin airport (with change at Red cow) and its only a tenner each way
    http://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables/M7_bus_limerick_to_dublin_city.php

EDIT: Alternatively
    Bus to Liverpool airport on Thursday night 19th dec/ Friday morning = 26pounds = 30 euro
    Flight to Shannon on Friday morning the 20th = 34euro.
    Bag, 15kg low season = 20euro (and you have 10kg hand luggage)
    Total = 74euro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's fair enough, especially if you plan on bringing load of Christmas prezzies home. But plan ahead, and bring enough food & drink & reading materials/video games/Kindles etc etc with you to last for a 24 hour trip. Feeding your self and keeping yourself occupied and entertained on a trip that long, can really jack the over all price of a trip up.

Also consider getting the train/bus/ferry over and the plane back. Presumably, you won't have as many bags on the way back. The adrenaline and excitement of coming home for Xmas can get many people thru a long and arduous journey, especially when they know they can kick back and relax when they get home. It's a whole other story if you are doing the same exhausting route on the return leg & you have to be back into work the next morning. Hell on earth !

Bruddygulp wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the cheapskates trying to save a few pennies by sitting on a bus for 24hours. My mate took the Greyhound bus in America for a long journey before and said he couldn't believe it when he saw the passengers squandering $10 on McDonalds and junk at every little gas station stop along the way. Probably could've paid for the quicker and more comfortable flight with the amount of money they wasted. What's the longest journey you've been on before this OP?

Well I have just emigrated so yeah, every Penney does count. I don't eat McDonald so that's another problem solved. I've done plenty of 16-24 hour journeys, I think I'll be just fine.

Thanks folks, ill look into the train. The kindle and iPod will be well charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well I have just emigrated so yeah, every Penney does count. I don't eat McDonald so that's another problem solved. I've done plenty of 16-24 hour journeys, I think I'll be just fine.

Thanks folks, ill look into the train. The kindle and iPod will be well charged!

In december the HSS Holyhead to Dun Laoighre runs from Dec 20th as well would make a nicer journey than going into Dublin port then you can hop on the dart then get the luas to Heuston for the train to Limerick would save you the bus fare into Connelly
    HSS Stena Explorer is a seasonal service and will be returning on 20 December 2013 for a limited number of sailings over the Christmas and New Year period. Stena Line operate two ships between Dublin Port - Holyhead all year round. Travel to Holyhead on the Stena HSS Fastcraft from Dun Laoghaire with a ferry crossing to Holyhead from 2 hours and 20 minutes.
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/routes/dun-laoghaire-holyhead/

Advertisement