Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Ski Holiday

Options
  • 28-10-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm looking to get away twice this season but cant persuade any of my mates to go early. Looking to travel 7th Dec and will probably 'DIY' it to somewhere high , preferably hinterlux. Flights are pretty cheap to Memmingen at the minute.

Has anybody ever gone on a ski trip by yourself? how was your experience? tips etc?

There seems to be very little that caters for solo skiers on the web, any like minded individuals want to link up?

Cheers,
    Marc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

H i marc
    I was in the same boat as you last year and found snowheads.com a great help,8 OF US ENDED UP TRAVELLING to mayrhofen and we had a cracking good week even though none of us knew one another.Dont know if ur interested but weve booked to go to soll on 11 jan for a week if ur interested .2 of us are travelling from dublin to munich with aer lingus(180 return)taxi from munich to soll (85 return)and b&b pension in soll for 266.
    Hintertux should be pretty good in december and most of mayrhofen should be open if snowfall is adequate.Anyway if ur interested in soll let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Marc_od

Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for!

I have that time booked off work so I'm pretty much locked into the 7th dec. thanks for the invite though. If doesn't work out I might take you up in the offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Hey Marc,
    Yea I went on my own a few years ago through Direct Ski to Bad Gastein. Couldn't get friends to go so just went for it. It was actually ok, I enjoy doing my own thing anyway. Maybe if you want to meet people there do lessons for a day. That's always a good way to meet people to do a bit of apres with. Also just post on snowheads to see if others are going to whatever resort your in.
    Anyway enjoy wherever you end up.
    Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Also if your looking at Hintertux stay in Mayrhofen, the bus to Tux is really easy to get also mayrhofen should be open then too. Scotland Yard, Moes and Gasthof Zillertal would be a few spots you'd meet fellow snow heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Marc I just got Aer Lingus return to Munich for €123 that weekend- depending on where you decide to go that might be an option? The flight times are nice, arrive/depart Munich 10am/8pm :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

what's your budget?
    have you ever thought about doing a camp of some sort?

i was in your position 2 years ago. i decided to go on my own and do this:

http://www.ourcamp.co.uk/OC/CAMPS.html

also have done this one

http://www.synergysnowsports.com/synergy-park-tour-camp/

i would recommend both. you meet lots of like minded people.
    i progressed more in 1 week with these guys than i would in 2-3 weeks going with friends.

EDIT: Just realised that you are looking at Skiing rather than snowboarding - but I am sure there are similar camps out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Marc_od wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get away twice this season but cant persuade any of my mates to go early. Looking to travel 7th Dec and will probably 'DIY' it to somewhere high , preferably hinterlux. Flights are pretty cheap to Memmingen at the minute.

Has anybody ever gone on a ski trip by yourself? how was your experience? tips etc?

There seems to be very little that caters for solo skiers on the web, any like minded individuals want to link up?

Cheers,
    Marc

I went on my second trip last year by myself, brothers chickened out and I had booked time off work so I said feck it, and went.

I must say I wouldn't do it again, the nights were long and boring. However acceptable it is here to go to a pub by yourself, I felt a little awkward doing so in France, so that meant from about 5pm on I was left watching films on my laptop, with a quick trip out to buy a slice of pizza (didn't fancy sitting in a packed restaurant by myself).The snow was fine and the boarding good, but it's always more fun when you're doing it with someone else.

All in all a fairly grim experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

the nights (Days) were long and boring. However acceptable it is here to go to a pub by yourself (After a hour servicing skis), I felt a little awkward doing so in France(Any country), so that meant from about 5pm on I was left watching films on my laptop, with a quick trip out to buy a slice of pizza (didn't fancy sitting in a packed restaurant by myself).The snow was fine and the boarding (Skiing) good, but it's always more fun when you're doing (anything but racing) it with someone else.

All in all a fairly grim experience.

cormee: Congratulations on the best description of a season ski racing I have ever heard!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Fattes wrote: »
    cormee: Congratulations on the best description of a season ski racing I have ever heard!! :D:D:D

I'd say you're a Netflix customer so!

Netflix customer

Two things that I struggle for when travelling racing, WIFI and somwhere to service my kit. The second one has many solutions the wifi requires an extra amount everynight for a hotel, which I cant afford so I slink off to a McDonalds for updates.

• Advertisement

derv wrote: »
    what's your budget?
    have you ever thought about doing a camp of some sort?

i was in your position 2 years ago. i decided to go on my own and do this:

http://www.ourcamp.co.uk/OC/CAMPS.html

also have done this one

http://www.synergysnowsports.com/synergy-park-tour-camp/

i would recommend both. you meet lots of like minded people.
    i progressed more in 1 week with these guys than i would in 2-3 weeks going with friends.

EDIT: Just realised that you are looking at Skiing rather than snowboarding - but I am sure there are similar camps out there.

I havent been able to find one that looks as fun as these. Looking at this now, but its pricey.

http://www.allmountainperformance.com/category/tags/backcountry-ski-courses

Im also seeing if i can get away a week earlier to go on the snowheads PSB which would be the ideal solution.

Thanks for the all the advice people.

Here are the two best ski options for what Marc_od is reccomending

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/

Wazzar and his guys are a great bunch and operate out of Cervinia in November and Verbier for the rest of the winter.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/

Phil and Emma are both great as are their staff operating out of Tignes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skyhawk

Marc_od wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Marc

I am heading to Hintertux on December 7th for the week. Alpine Coaching are running performance courses there that week, if you are interested.
    We fly in and out of Munich.

Skyhawk wrote: »
    I am heading to Hintertux on December 7th for the week. Alpine Coaching are running performance courses there that week, if you are interested.
    We fly in and out of Munich.

Oooh I'll be in Hintertux on the 8th & 9th, will keep an ear out for the Irish accents ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Try and get a day in at zell am ziller if ye can folks as the best skiing in the mayrhofen area is there.hintertux should be pretty good but if the weather closes in visibility will be poor and windy as he'll at the top.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Try and get a day in at zell am ziller if ye can folks as the best skiing in the mayrhofen area is there.hintertux should be pretty good but if the weather closes in visibility will be poor and windy as he'll at the top.

Ramsau, especially for early season powder days, loads of trees one old ass lift out of the base and the place to yourself I have skied 5/6 days there and never seen another sole! All of them thigh deep in the trees! Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

What did you do in the end OP? I am looking to do something similar as I have a few days to take before the end of the year and I want to go snowboarding soon.

I ended up deciding to go on the snowheads Preseason bash, to tignes. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102280

Going this weekend so i will let you know. There is about 100 people going so it should be mental. Tignes got great snow last week so should be perfect!

Great plan- let us know how you get on! :)

Crap, should have looked into this earlier.

• Advertisement

fannymagee wrote: »
    Great plan- let us know how you get on! :)

Had a great week,transfers and accommodation were really well organised, as was the ski test, got to test whitedot carbon preachers and Movement lefer. I expected it to be mostly young people but it was the exact opposite. really friendly bunch of people with enough young people to still have a bit of craic at night and made some good friends.

Piste conditions in Espace Killy were excellent although the eye of the needle side was closed. Le Face was also closed because of a race this weekend. 1st week of the season so the resort was a bit dead but you had the piste to yourself. Did an off piste guiding day which was great fun. All in all great experience will probably do another bash at some point. (obviously with any internet based club there are some absolute weirdos and some absolute nobs but for the most part everyone is sound)

Cool, sounds great! Did you get to try the Lefers on ice, or were you too busy playing in the deep?! Conditions in the Skiwelt amazing at the moment too- it's the time to go!! ;)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Cool, sounds great! Did you get to try the Lefers on ice, or were you too busy playing in the deep?! Conditions in the Skiwelt amazing at the moment too- it's the time to go!! ;)
    Yeah got to use them on ice, never had a ski that just dares you to go faster even at 100kph you still feel confident. They turn when and how you want. They have quite a fat tail so they don't like to be slide, forces you to carve properly.

Very jealous, not going away agin till jan/feb. Enjoy!!

Yeah I read an article about them recently, I was intrigued!! Glad you survived the Snowheads too, I'd say those trips can be pretty full-on..! :)

I am just back from a week in La Plagne after posting up on Snowheads looking for somewhere to go before Xmas. Was a great week considering I was there on my own but there was other solo skiers staying in my Chalet so we hung around with each other.

Would definitely do it again as because it was the first week of the season everything was cheaper and the slopes were very quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Solo skier. Go to ucpa.co.uk. just had a savage holiday. Met loads of nice people. Boarded the ****e out of it. Had great nights out... Cheap. Def recommended

Advertisement