Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bb king in royal albert hall

Options
  • 28-10-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

was watching this on sky arts 1 and was wondering what others thought on the following

his backing musicians looked bored
    audience was very flat
    kept asking his guests to 'play it one more time' to a point where they looked uncomfortable
    dragged songs out to a point where it wasnt enjoyable to listen to.

I know he is old but is this typical of his shows?
    also
    list guitarists on the night in order of technical brillance slash,bb,ron wood, susan tedeshi, derek trucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have never actually been to a BB King concert but I have seen some video recordings. I'm inclined to agree with your comments. However at this stage, the great man has nothing to prove. I'd imagine that the majority of people who go to his concerts these days do so not so much to hear blistering solos etc but to witness a legend's live performance. If they simply want to hear him at his best, then there is always the CD player, ipod etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Ive seen BB King live twice.
    • 1989 supporting U2 at the Point
    • 2007 at the BB King blues bar in New York.
    Both shows were brilliant.

In 2007 he was seated throughout and did a lot of storytelling between songs.
    He was very entertaining and I genuinely felt i was in the presence of greatness.

However I seen the Royal Albert hall show (and his Glastonbury appearance) and I think age has finally caught up with him. He seemed disorientated at times and wanted the special guests at the Royal Albert Hall to carry the show for him.

I tip my hat to him for still performing at this stage of his life, but he has definitely lost a lot of his magic in recent years. He will always be an icon in the truest sense of the word.

Advertisement