Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable modding

Options
  • 28-10-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I recieved some unreasonable comments from mods on the animals and pets thread (under my thread Cats Poisoned). They subsequently closed the thread. Their point was IMHO completely unreasonable.

First up my thread was about my cats who had been poisoned: specifically had other posters had a similar experience with poisons and how likely is it my pets would pull through.

One particular poster came on to drag the discussion off topic stating that it was my fault as my cats were allowed to wander. I do not know of anyone who can stop cats wandering, but in any event this was not the question I posed.

This poster would not stop interfering with the thread and yes I got frustrated.

To my surprise the mods then weighed in and a conflict ensued. They clearly took the side of the other poster (who was completely off topic) and IMHO were far from acting impartially. I would like the thread re-opened.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you or aren't you disputing the warning infraction for being uncivil?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

I am disputing having my thread closed.

Incidentally the same mod has also closed a second thread for absolutely nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP then.

Ok. Thanks.

Hello?

• Advertisement

Are the Animals and Pets mods aware of this thread?

I guess so Spear. One of them told me to take up any issues here so here I am!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi,
    First off, my apologies for the delay in addressing this thread.
    DrWu, as I informed you via our pm exchange, it was not the content of your two threads which caused their closure, and so I will spend no time here discussing their content here, as it is acting as a smokescreen to hide the real issues at hand.
    Your threads were closed because in the first, you back-seat moderated, which warranted an on-thread warning from me. This included a reminder to use the report procedure if you've a problem with a post.
    You then proceeded to post a swingeing insult to all of the users of the A&PI forum, for which you received a yellow card from another mod, and had your insulting post deleted.
    We have a lot of experience in dealing with cat and poisoning threads in the forum, and almost without exception, they turn into train-wrecks. As yours was no exception either, and bearing in mind the actions the mods had already had to take with your posts, the closure of this thread was both legitimate and warranted.
    Following a stream of PMs that you sent to both me and the mod who issued your yellow card, during which you questioned our modding abilities, I explained to you, again, to use the report procedure instead of taking matters into your own hands. I also suggested that you change the tone of your posts, which were coming across as argumentative and snarky.
    Then you opened another thread on a similar subject.
    One poster pointed out that you had already received plenty of info on the other thread: you once again got snarky, and you once again went ahead and took matters into your own hands, despite one previous on-thread warning, one warning by pm, and one yellow card for being uncivil.
    And so, it appeared that you were unable to follow our instructions, and as a result, your second thread, which was going nowhere in any case, was also closed.
    It's not that often that a new poster to the A&PI forum becomes disruptive quite so quickly. I hope you can see now what the issues were: they were quite unrelated to the topic of your two closed threads.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I couldn't disagree more. You took up a position on this from the outset and have stuck to it rigidly. I do not think it has been dealt with impartially. Here's why:

On the first thread, the mods did not reprimand the poster who persistently dragged the thread off topic. Other posters were also getting frustrated by this poster. Nothing was done. IMHO this was poor modding.

On the second thread, I posted a link with official guidelines to the use of poison. The reply was dismissive. I replied in a similar tone. There were no insults, it was a retort but we are all adults here. And yet you came down on only one side.

I'm done, but I think the modding on this matter was poor from the start and escalated the situation unnecessarily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Neither I, nor the other mods of the forum agree that the other poster was pulling your thread off topic. His comments were perfectly valid. Telling you what you don't want to hear is not the same thing as dragging a thread off topic.

As for your comments re the second thread, I will say it once again, because you don't seem to be able to grasp this: it was not the content that caused the problem, it was the fact that despite being warned twice, you failed to use the report function, and took to deal with another poster yourself. And despite receiving a yellow card for being uncivil, you were once again uncivil. What the other poster said is immaterial: your reaction to them was out of line, and you cannot say you hadn't been warned!
    For the record, it means little to say that "other posters" agreed with you. Actually, if I recall correctly it was one other poster who doesn't use the forum much. But that's immaterial in any case, because as I will point out one more time, it was not the subject of your posts that caused the problems. It was your behaviour towards other posters, including mods, that caused the problem.
    Having tried to explain the above repeatedly to you, I hope you can take it on board if you decide to use the forum again. Otherwise, I'm just wasting my time here and you will continue to run into the same problem over and over again.

• Advertisement

1. Read my OP. A specific question is posed. Now can you please explain how the poster in question's comment were on topic?

2. Your dismissive comment regarding another poster who doesn't use the forum much speaks volumes. In fact this is what I surmised was the root of your one sided modding. You have kindly confirmed my suspicions. I also have a low post count. The poster who quite clearly dragged the thread off topic had a relatively high post count. QED.
    Over and out.

Regarding running into the same problem over and over again. This is the only time I have a problem on this or any other forum. And it is solely down to poor and inconsistent modding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement