Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Starting off in EVE

Options
  • 27-10-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I've been tempted for quite some time now to try out EVE Online and after doing a bit of research I've come up with the following plan to start me off:

Do all tutorial missions.

Use the skill plan here to get an "all rounder" type character while I see what areas of the game I want to devote more time to:

http://blog.beyondreality.se/Newbie-skill-plan-2

Join Eve-Uni for a while to learn the game.

Possibley spend some time in RvB to learn PvP.

Any other advice or suggestions? (Apart from "Don't do it, it will ruin your life" of course. :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

I go in the deep end and join one of the newbie friendly nullsec alliances instead of RvB, you'll learn a lot more that way as well as potentially be involved in some very exciting and strategic fights.

I'd also think about how you're going to make ISK as a priority, as everything else kind of depends on it. So skill for that first, then when you've got yourself a dependable income you can then skill for fun stuff like pvp or do a long term skill plan for a capital! (It might seem like too far away but you'd be amazed how addicting this game can be and how quickly time flies)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Null sec would be great, but it might be scary for a new player.

I am not sure it is a good idea to go all arounder char. You better off decide, which way you want to go. No point wasting time on skills that you might not even use once.
    PVP is fun, but it is not a steady income. you will need one m8, because you will lose ships.

For example, I really really liked what this fella did. He made a trial account and just shows how you can have more fun in EVE as a new player by not just doing Mining or Missions. He just goes to low sec as newby and does ninja explorations. He loses some ships, but damn, fair play to him.
    One thing that he says is very important: " Always go to low/null sec when you still new player, if you lose your ship, its not a big loss. Thing is it will give you a lot more confidence flying in low sec when you got better ship and skills. "

Nullsec can indeed be very intimidating for a new player but that also makes it extremely interesting rather than being in a "safe" zone like highsec without any real challenges or interactions, then a few weeks later getting bored of the game and quitting without actually experiencing any of the meat of the game.

That would be the biggest shame of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Did my free trial 3 times and defo won't play again. Way too clicky and waity. The game is not fun at all its just sci-fi themed farmville with a 3D backdrop and an ultra-confusing economic system. Avoid it.

Did my free trial 3 times and defo won't play again. Way too clicky and waity. The game is not fun at all its just sci-fi themed farmville with a 3D backdrop and an ultra-confusing economic system. Avoid it.

ha_ha_get_out__by_wolf_shadow77-d3fujm9.png

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you encountered the famed eve online learning curve:

learningcurvekc5.jpg

It has improved a lot since that image was made but yes essentially its a niche game, its very harsh for a reason, so that when you do succeed it actually feels like a proper success... especially when just around the corner you could get crushed all over again, no matter how long you've been playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaegermeister

Thanks for the replies lads, definite food for thought. I can see making ISK will be a priority then. Do you think having a second account will be inevitable or can you manage EVE on one?

Thanks for the replies lads, definite food for thought. I can see making ISK will be a priority then. Do you think having a second account will be inevitable or can you manage EVE on one?

Well, it depends m8. For now, stay with one account. Specially when you still not decided on what to do. Dont understand me wrong, 2++ accounts are awesome if you can afford it, but it is not always easy to multitask.

2 accounts are great in few areas:

Mining - making your small fleet. 1 retriever + 1 covetor. Use retriever as hauler. When you need to sell Ore, you can train in your second account as miner/ hauler so he can haul all your loot to Jita, while main character still mining and has no downtime.

Missioning - There are few setups for this. You can just use both characters to kill stuff a lot faster. You can have one support and other full out pants down head in first pilot. Or you can have one character clearing out missions and have second character salveging all the stuuf, while main character can go for second mission.

PVP - Yes, you can use both ships for fighting, but it can be really hard as you need to know so much. Thing is second account can be a great scout. Flying something cheap, which you can always afford to lose. You will be bale to scout out everything, with minimal risk. Your main character expensive fit will be going in to battle with way better intel, then it ever could.

I bet lads can think of more uses for multicharacter setups. I am still a nooby myself.

Well, it depends m8. For now, stay with one account. Specially when you still not decided on what to do. Dont understand me wrong, 2++ accounts are awesome if you can afford it, but it is not always easy to multitask.

Thanks yet again for your advice. I think you're right, I really shouldn't get ahead of myself and get one up and running first. After all I mightn't survive too long beyond the tutorial missions :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

This may be a very stupid question, but it's genuine: can you play 2 characters simultaneously, on the same machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

If you are just starting, complete the training missions and contact ENL-A http://enl-i.com/enlightened-academy/ its a fantistic way to learn and has no comitment to go into big bad Null sec stuff. (I did however)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

TrueDub wrote: »
    This may be a very stupid question, but it's genuine: can you play 2 characters simultaneously, on the same machine?

Yes, as long as they are separate accounts. If they are two characters on the same account, then you can only be logged into one.

TrueDub wrote: »

Yes, you can. CPP even doing deals like "power of two". Where they give you a second account for 6 months for 50eu. Its a great deal m8.

I have 2 accounts too, but reactivated only one now. Plan was that I pay for one and plex other one, so it would not be just to play and pay for 2 character plex. Things is 2 accounts is a lot of multitasking. I got 3 monitors and it is still a bit hard. Sometimes you just panic lol.
    So I am sticking to one account for now. I got 2.4bil at the moment so I can plex up my second account anytime I want. I see how I will get on first.

I kinda wish i went for an extra account when i started playing in hindsight but honestly now that I have a proper dependable income I can buy second accounts easily so its not that big of a drawback.

There are other benefits to having a second account, for example now that i've been playing a good few years there are certain things I have to be able to fly in order to contribute to one of the big alliances in the game.

I have one account with a purely pvp subcapital focus so I can fly every single ship that my alliance needs in any given fleet.

I have a second account with characters that are able to fly capitals such as a carrier for moving my ships when we are on deployment and a dreadnought for when we have very big ships to kill ;) That can be very handy if you're in a fleet with your main pilot in a big battle but the battle then escalates and the call for "triage"/"slowcat" carriers is called out or dreads to login.

Since your main is already in the fight you cant just logoff and login a second character on the same account (well tecnically you could but you probably have aggro so you'd end up dead if you logoff), so a second account comes in handy there. It means you dont miss any fun and can contribute to your alliance more effectively.

I have a third account as well for a supercarrier/titan, a invaluable scout character and a market alt stuck in jita.

These days you could do all this one one account as you're now able to train all three characters on the same account with extra plex but in the past you couldn't do that. Its still kinda impractical as well so multiple accounts are still beneficial. If you lower all your ingame settings assuming you have an average computer, you can have all your accounts logged in at once no problem too.

All this might be irrelevant to you as a new player but food for thought down the road if you keep playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I haven't logged in in over a year and I think a large part of that is capital gaming. I went back to smaller ships for a bit as you don't care if you lose them or you even self-destruct them. The large fleet stuff looks cool but you send so much time waiting for engagements or travelling and it often becomes a numbers game where the other fleet just disbands. Small gang stuff seems to work better as you have more of a chance to do something meaning full.

For starting off you will look at the bigger ships and think you want one of them but when you get in one you see the advantage of small ships.

You can make money a few ways and you don't need to be a battleship to rat in 0.0 space. With the correct fitting a battlecruiser can handle most spawns.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I haven't logged in in over a year and I think a large part of that is capital gaming. I went back to smaller ships for a bit as you don't care if you lose them or you even self-destruct them. The large fleet stuff looks cool but you send so much time waiting for engagements or travelling and it often becomes a numbers game where the other fleet just disbands. Small gang stuff seems to work better as you have more of a chance to do something meaning full.

For starting off you will look at the bigger ships and think you want one of them but when you get in one you see the advantage of small ships.

You can make money a few ways and you don't need to be a battleship to rat in 0.0 space. With the correct fitting a battlecruiser can handle most spawns.

Actually, this is one of the biggest mistakes new player make - " I WANT THAT XXX BATTLESHIP, BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME!!!! ".
    I did that too. Its easy to train to battleships, it takes few days, but then you realise how much stuff you need. Then all in all you find out that to get at least minimal use out of it, you need good few months of training.

I resubed my miner few weeks ago. Completely took it off mining training ( not much was left on it to train for in high sec ) and went full battle training. Started flying Cruiser and got myself in to Battlecruiser now. I do some missions, salvage stuff etc. I am making pennies compared to what I was earning by afk mining. I got 2.6bil so I dont even need to salvage. I do all this, because I learn so much! I learned armor fittings, fittings for missions, tactics in battles, damage types and how to fit out for pvp and pve, different turret/ammo setups, Benefits of salvaging, bookmarking spots, making custom overviews etc.
    I really want to get my Apocalypse, but focusing on smaller ships is a lot more fun, because it is experience right here and now.

I find that being a small fish in such MMORPG games is a lot more fun and a lot more satysfing then being a big shot with a big ass ship and feck all to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Sorry for the delay in replying, thank you to all who answered my question.
    fayer wrote: »
    If you are just starting, complete the training missions and contact ENL-A http://enl-i.com/enlightened-academy/ its a fantistic way to learn and has no comitment to go into big bad Null sec stuff. (I did however)

This looks like fun, I've made preliminary enquiries about it.

Actually, this is one of the biggest mistakes new player make - " I WANT THAT XXX BATTLESHIP, BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME!!!! ".
    I did that too. Its easy to train to battleships, it takes few days, but then you realise how much stuff you need. Then all in all you find out that to get at least minimal use out of it, you need good few months of training.

He was on about capital warfare though, which is completely different. As he mentioned, it can often involve a lot of "blueballs". Aka: waiting around for nothing to happen, or deploying to repair stuff. Can be pretty demoralizing.

Well it's early days yet but I'm not too bothered about Capitals. I quite like the idea of fitting out Rifters, Thrashers etc for some cheap and nasty PVP.

After that the type of ships that interest me most are covert ops type stuff and blockade runners, scouting etc

Well it's early days yet but I'm not too bothered about Capitals. I quite like the idea of fitting out Rifters, Thrashers etc for some cheap and nasty PVP.

After that the type of ships that interest me most are covert ops type stuff and blockade runners, scouting etc

Bombers are great fun and make travel easy. You can also use them in fleets. I got 100 killmails on one bombing run. Great fun.

• Advertisement

Bombers are great fun and make travel easy. You can also use them in fleets. I got 100 killmails on one bombing run. Great fun.

Sounds good, do you favour any particular race's bombers?

Sounds good, do you favour any particular race's bombers?

Hound was good. If you know someone with a blacktops you can do small gang cyno drops with a bait ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Hound was good. If you know someone with a blacktops you can do small gang cyno drops with a bait ship.

Or hoom up with bombers bat, they are newbie friendly.

Advertisement