Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, low cost living on a budget

Options
  • 27-10-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are currently building our first (and hopefully forever) house. We are trying to go down the project manager/self build/direct labour route to keep costs as low as possible.

I have construction experience, but I've been out of the industry for 6 years and also have plumbing experience, but I've lost touch with the technology now available. I would like to be as hands-on as possible would like to be as hands-on as possible with the build.

The house itself is a 300sq mtr, storey and a half dwelling with a 150sq mtr commercial piece on the side of it. Planning application has only just been sent in to the council so we have a few weeks to kill.

We like the thought of sustainable technologies and cost free living. Has anyone out there any experience on such things? Looking for any info on floor/wall/roof insulation, sustainable energy/heating systems, wind generated power, gassifiers, wood burners, ground source, MVHR, photo-voltaic panels etc. etc. etc..

Also, has anyone any experience on selling energy back to the national grid from wind/solar generated energy?

Any and all info and input would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hey fclauson, someone's lookin for you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Eoghan Barra

Just my opinion, but 300m2 is massive.

You'd save a lot in construction costs - and heating and maintenance afterwards - by reducing the size by a third, and still have a pretty large house.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Babybull

Just my opinion, but 300m2 is massive.

You'd save a lot in construction costs - and heating and maintenance afterwards - by reducing the size by a third, and still have a pretty large house.

Just a thought.

I get where you're coming from Eoghan, but its what we've settled on for comfortable living, future family expansion etc. The size had already been reduced from the initial architect's drawings by about 60m2 (almost fell off the chair when we saw the first drawings. Looking more in the lines of info on wind generated power, photo voltaic panels and that kind of technology, but thanks for the input Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Babybull wrote: »
    Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are currently building our first (and hopefully forever) house. We are trying to go down the project manager/self build/direct labour route to keep costs as low as possible.

I have construction experience, but I've been out of the industry for 6 years and also have plumbing experience, but I've lost touch with the technology now available. I would like to be as hands-on as possible would like to be as hands-on as possible with the build.

The house itself is a 300sq mtr, storey and a half dwelling with a 150sq mtr commercial piece on the side of it. Planning application has only just been sent in to the council so we have a few weeks to kill.

We like the thought of sustainable technologies and cost free living. Has anyone out there any experience on such things? Looking for any info on floor/wall/roof insulation, sustainable energy/heating systems, wind generated power, gassifiers, wood burners, ground source, MVHR, photo-voltaic panels etc. etc. etc..

Also, has anyone any experience on selling energy back to the national grid from wind/solar generated energy?

Any and all info and input would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

So - read every passivehouse plus magazine - read everything on this forum - google Passive House - read the passive house website - read the AECB site- read every government TGD

that should keep you occupied

there was a report out this week that the "average" house costs 22K per year to run which a whopping 20,000 KwH for heating & h/w - mine uses just 4Kwh - so reduce the size - get energy efficient and then go from there
    budget on €1500 per M2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Are you building your house in the ROI or up North?

If it's south of the border there is no way you can sell energy back to the grid.

It can be done up north along with a host of other things but the grid down here is a bit archaic in comparison.

As others have said reduce the size of the house. Unless you're planning on opening a commune or have deep pockets it's going to cost you a fortune to build a house that'll be cheap to run (heating,lighting,water. etc.)

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Are you building your house in the ROI or up North?

If it's south of the border there is no way you can sell energy back to the grid.
    Not true read http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/generator-connections/micro_gen_connections.jsp

and my article on using the grid as an inter seasonal store and how I run my heating and hot water for free for the whole year https://www.facebook.com/Passive.House.Wexford?hc_location=timeline

fclauson wrote: »
    Not true read http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/generator-connections/micro_gen_connections.jsp

and my article on using the grid as an inter seasonal store and how I run my heating and hot water for free for the whole year https://www.facebook.com/Passive.House.Wexford?hc_location=timeline

Sorry I guess I was talking on more of a commercial level I've yet to see any large sites generating their own electricity and selling it back to the grid.

The costs must be prohibitive.

Sorry I guess I was talking on more of a commercial level I've yet to see any large sites generating their own electricity and selling it back to the grid.

The costs must be prohibitive.

Off topic - but have you not see the forrest of wind turbines - Ireland will become a net export of electricity over the comming years

Back to topic - keep reading :)

Off topic - but have you not see the forrest of wind turbines - Ireland will become a net export of electricity over the comming years

Back to topic - keep reading :)

Yes the ones that are generating electricity and selling it to the grid in England?

Or the ones that are specifically built for generating energy such as wind farms tend to be.. I'm talking about large companies installing pv panels and selling it back to the grid not purpose built installations such as windfarms. Clearly they''re designed for generating energy you genius.

Do you actually sell the energy you generate back to the grid or do you just use it yourself as you generate it?

To be honest I couldn't be arsed reading your facebook page.

So - read every passivehouse plus magazine - read everything on this forum - google Passive House - read the passive house website - read the AECB site- read every government TGD

that should keep you occupied

there was a report out this week that the "average" house costs 22K per year to run which a whopping 20,000 KwH for heating & h/w - mine uses just 4Kwh - so reduce the size - get energy efficient and then go from there
    budget on €1500 per M2

Thanks for the info. Also looking for peoples personal experience with some of these systems and tech. Combinations that have worked for them etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes the ones that are generating electricity and selling it to the grid in England?

Or the ones that are specifically built for generating energy such as wind farms tend to be.. I'm talking about large companies installing pv panels and selling it back to the grid not purpose built installations such as windfarms. Clearly they''re designed for generating energy you genius.

Do you actually sell the energy you generate back to the grid or do you just use it yourself as you generate it?

To be honest I couldn't be arsed reading your facebook page.
    banned
    don't comeback to this forum with that attitude

Hi all,

1. My girlfriend and I are currently building our first (and hopefully forever) house. We are trying to go down the project manager/self build/direct labour route to keep costs as low as possible.
    2. I have construction experience, but I've been out of the industry for 6 years and also have plumbing experience, but I've lost touch with the technology now available. I would like to be as hands-on as possible would like to be as hands-on as possible with the build.
    3. The house itself is a 300sq mtr, storey and a half dwelling with a 150sq mtr commercial piece on the side of it. Planning application has only just been sent in to the council so we have a few weeks to kill.
    4. We like the thought of sustainable technologies and cost free living.
    5. Has anyone out there any experience on such things?
    6. Looking for any info on floor/wall/roof insulation,
    7. sustainable energy/heating systems,
    8. wind generated power, gassifiers, wood burners, ground source, MVHR, photo-voltaic panels etc. etc. etc..
    9. Also, has anyone any experience on selling energy back to the national grid from wind/solar generated energy?

Ed
    firstly,
    welcome
    & please read this forum - as all your questions have been asked before, some dicsussed to death:)

1. from march next year ' self-builders will most likely struggle to get the correct insurances/bank loans due to certification requirements of the new Hogan building regulation bill
    2. id recommend you look at the tradesman passive house course and start studying here .by the way forget technologies until you get your house design/ orientation & fabric right first
    3. as others have said here, IMO thats too big - hope you've got a very friendly bank manager;)
    4. so does everyone, initial costs are often the deciding factor
    5. yes several people here - lets see your house design? and tell us about your location? farm, top of hill/ south of spain etc? as these may well dictate how easy zero energy in use will be
    6. get an architect/ arch tech - we have better things to do with our day
    7. do your provision BER - this will dictate your statutory requirements and you can work from there
    8. mvhr is becoming standard - the rest are technologies that should only be looked at in conjunction with site specifics. with your 300msq mansion and your energy positive intentions i hope your married to the bank manager;)
    9. as others have said - if you're in the south the best you can hope for is 'giving' to the grid on the good day, to receive from the grid on the cloudy/flat calm days

(i know one of grid couple - their family are grown up, and their needs rationalised to suit there lifestyle, and due to their house location they drive practically everywhere which defeats any 'eco' or cost savings)
    don't be put off by our comment (you essentially just gotten the 'how long is a piece of string answer' )

please read around the forum

your original post here covers a multitude of expert fields and all these professionals are active here, but try to ask more specific questions if possible

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST] Ed

don't be put off by our comment (you essentially just gotten the 'how long is a piece of string answer' )

please read around the forum

your original post here covers a multitude of expert fields and all these professionals are active here, but try to ask more specific questions if possible

Thanks for the advise. We're already in the process of down-sizing. We'll be taking it a step at a time and doing a fair bit of reading.

Passive house tradesman course? didn't know there was such a thing, where can I obtain info on that?

as for the comments, they don't faze me, I've thick skin and heavy hands lol. many thanks

as Arnie said,"I'll be back"

Passive house tradesman course? didn't know there was such a thing, where can I obtain info on that?
    google;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

BryanF wrote: »
    google;)

How much would one of these courses be and how long they run for.

Advertisement