Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur drama circuit advise please

Options
  • 27-10-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    We'r an amateur drama group just new to the circuit and last night on our 1st night we were slammed for our set. He wanted more enclosure. Does anyone know if we'r allowed 1 free standing wall? Don't even know the full specs.
    Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Bulabusit wrote: »
    Hi there,
    We'r an amateur drama group just new to the circuit and last night on our 1st night we were slammed for our set. He wanted more enclosure. Does anyone know if we'r allowed 1 free standing wall? Don't even know the full specs.
    Thanks x

Hello there.

Great to hear another group has taken the brave step to go on the circuit. It can be a tough place but it will remove you from the comfort zone of the local audience and in the future will improve you greatly as a group. Some of the adjudicators are top class and you can learn so much from them. Some of them are just Pr*ck* and you will learn nothing from their ego trips.

From your set point of view from the little you have told me, this is my humble opinion:
    1. Some stages are big that you play and some will be smaller. The trick is not to get your cast too stretched out across the stage. Keep it compact and avoid the temptation to fill the stage. 'Enclosure' as such may just mean positioning of cast.

2. If you are playing a big stage, do not spread furniture about too much just because the room is there. Play it tighter and just dont light the full stage.

3. i believe there is no issue with free standing walls as long as your set is up and down withing the given time constraints.

Please see the below link to the official DLI rules for the 2013 One Act Circuit.
    Best of Luck in the Weeks ahead.

http://www.dli.ie/downloads/Festival%20Rules%202013.pdf

Advertisement