Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful Behaviour by some in Afganistan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

tac foley wrote: »
    Slow news day in Glockamorra?

tac

Oh Tac,you of all people should know that every day is a slow news day in Glockamorra, begorrah.But is this not military related ? I do apologise if this was posted before.Perhaps Tac you can tell me what type of reprimand these fellows should expect? at least Colonel Kemp had the balls to condemn such behaviour.

Naughty boys indeed.

Tut tut and all that. Can't have our soldiery behaving like NARZIES, now can we?

Of course, the possibility that they were actually taking the piss does not seem to have penetrated the editorship of 'The Wail' and its never-ending ambition to make the British Army look like a load of mongs.

There is no doubt that behaviour like this plays right into their ink-stained little handies, and raises the shock/horror of the appalling behaviour of British soldiery worldwide yet again into the public eye.

Not condoning behaviour like this, after all, untold numbers of distant relatives of mine went to Auschwitz and never came home, but I'm sure there are far more 'appalling incidents' going on in Afghanistan on a daily basis that are more newsworthy than this. The 'minor breakdown of communication in a meaningful fashion leading to misunderstandings of a religious nature' that ends up with up to ten 'misinformed persons' being publicly beheaded with a spade by a ten year-old, come to mind.

But of course, as it was not actually a serving British soldier who did it, it's really not worth mentioning at all.

tac

Fair comment Tac.It does appear to be an old news item but only published yesterday in the Mail:( but this is more than taking the piss IMO,there's a nasty undertone to the whole episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I think it is shameful that this photo has resurfaced, many years after the photo was taken, and all the participants were punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The fact they've been condemned to support a second first division Scottish football club should be punishment enough.....

As I wrote - 'a slow news day in Glockamorra............' There will always be ****-stirrers on a forum like this, more than ready to highlight the misdemeanours of the hated British and their Armed Forces, in spite of the proven fact that many Irishmen are more than happy to join with them.

I'll say no more now.

tac

It was published in a British newspaper on the 26th of October 2013, no doubt you will claim there may be another agenda at work but
    it is a newsworthy article, military related,and in the appropriate forum. For you to accuse me of shyte stirring :(is risible and ill judged,considering I have never posted anything negative about the BA or any other armed forces in the past,now that won't stop you from having your opinions of the "misdemeanors" as you call them.Likewise I am entitled to my view and I once again commend the Army authorities and senior officers who condemned such behaviour.

I am quite happy to see any Irishmen join the BA and indeed my own family members have served in the BA periodicially from 1908 to 1976 including two World Wars and even NI.

You Tac,have been a great defender and advocate for the BA on this forum and appear to be impartial in the main:),you give good advice to those intending to join up, but do you not think that other aspects should be highlighted as well? There was another incident a few weeks ago in Scotland that was in the press,(note,I did not gleefully post that one on this forum;)),again having sectarian undertones that is not acceptable in the BA or any other army.Any service personell that indulge in such behaviour should be reprimanded and the incidents made public.That is the least that aspiring entrants to the BA should expect be they Irish, British, Fijian, or any other.

• Advertisement

I think it is shameful that this photo has resurfaced, many years after the photo was taken, and all the participants were punished.

Here you go,inform them of your concerns. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I am well aquainted with Aginourt,My-Lai and Ballyseedy.The Daily Mail does appear to draw your ire when it comes to their reportage of military matters relating to the BA, I cannot comment on this but I do note your personal observations regarding same.The rehashing of a 3 y/o story (albeit an accurate story) does leave a lot to be desired in their journalistic standards.

To compare WW2 tomfoolery with what these guys did and the events in the more recent Scottish incident is IMO quite a leap and frankly ludricous.

Poor Tac, used to getting the last word,are you?:)

Plain and simple, your historicial comparison is laughable. :D

I see you withdrew some of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You seem to be making this thread into a competition, for reasons that I can't figure out. That's not what I'm here for, to give you some kind of vicarious thrill at 'beating the Brit'.

You are now on my ignore list.

Enjoy.

tac

Chill,buchaill. You now play the anti brit card :eek: because I dont agree with you :confused: maybe you spent too long in the services, can't handle dissent,can you.

• Advertisement

You seem to be making this thread into a competition, for reasons that I can't figure out. That's not what I'm here for, to give you some kind of vicarious thrill at 'beating the Brit'.

You are now on my ignore list.

Enjoy.

tac

For posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

predictably, the news item mentioned by Kabakuyu has been raised on one of the annual threads re wearing poppies.

JD
    Poppy on and running for the RBL at Run2Remember, 9th Nov 2013

...Mr. John Redmond, M.P., was showing a party of Australian convalescents over the House of Commons, and asked them if they had seen anything of the 10th (Irish) Division. They replied that they had, and in their opinion the charge made by the Connaught Rangers at Kaba Kuyu was the finest thing they had seen in the War...

predictably, the news item mentioned by Kabakuyu has been raised on one of the annual threads re wearing poppies.

JD
    Poppy on and running for the RBL at Run2Remember, 9th Nov 2013

...Mr. John Redmond, M.P., was showing a party of Australian convalescents over the House of Commons, and asked them if they had seen anything of the 10th (Irish) Division. They replied that they had, and in their opinion the charge made by the Connaught Rangers at Kaba Kuyu was the finest thing they had seen in the War...

TBH Johnny, Imay have been negligent in not checking the original source date of the story in the Mail,but all things aside I did not expect to be accused of trolling,when I have never done so in the past.
    I see you sussed my username;) well done,and while the bayonet charge at the KK Wells may have been a tad exaggerated, it was a brave deed nonetheless that went down in Rangers history and BTW I shall be buying a poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

kabakuyu wrote: »
    TBH Johnny, Imay have been negligent in not checking the original source date of the story in the Mail,but all things aside I did not expect to be accused of trolling,when I have never done so in the past.
    I see you sussed my username;) well done,and while the bayonet charge at the KK Wells may have been a tad exaggerated, it was a brave deed nonetheless that went down in Rangers history and BTW I shall be buying a poppy.

understood the user id reference a long time ago and am aware of your contributions in the WW1/militaria areas.

I tend to stay off this part of the forum as it's generally not a particularly welcoming/engaging area IMO.

JD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wouldn't wipe my arse with that rag of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Some loolagh mp said monday the british government were treating ireland with kid gloves over google, in compensation for the acts carried out by the black and tans. one poster said we could do with them now (not on this thread) that link proves they never went away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Some loolagh mp said monday the british government were treating ireland with kid gloves over google, in compensation for the acts carried out by the black and tans.

Source? Other than some right-wing raving loony BNP/EDL representative (or possibly UKIP), I would find such a statement difficult to believe was actually made given how utterly crass it is. And if it came from any of the above, with the exception of the UKIP (regrettably as they are equally deserving of nothing but scorn), who pays any attention to their inane ramblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Lemming wrote: »
    Source? Other than some right-wing raving loony BNP/EDL representative (or possibly UKIP), I would find such a statement difficult to believe was actually made given how utterly crass it is. And if it came from any of the above, with the exception of the UKIP (regrettably as they are equally deserving of nothing but scorn), who pays any attention to their inane ramblings?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mp+and+the+black+and+tans&hl=en&rlz=1D3DLUK_en-GBIE357IE357&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=xPpwUq99hp7sBvrZgeAK&ved=0CCoQqAI

During yesterday's meeting of the House of Commons public accounts committee, one of the Labour party's MPs Austin Mithchell suggested that Britain was allowing revenue to blow into Ireland in a bid to make amends for the Black and Tans.

Advertisement