Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000AD comics

Options
  • 27-10-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi and how are things? I am interested in collecting 2000AD comics and I am looking for the Summer Specials if anyone knows where to get them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

what about ebay? or local comic or book shops? if you are you can very occasionally come across them in charity shops for very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike7

Hi and thanks for that. I brought the entire comic book collection on ebay about a week ago. I cost me two and a half thousand euro, but it included most of the free gifts as well. It was a lot of money, but the only way to get all the comics i think. I also brought the Annuals for about ten euro each including postage, which is half the cost. I am missing the first one, but I am sure it will come up sometime. I have three of the Summer Specials. They seem to be hard to get, but hopefully they will come up in time too. I would love to see them in a charity shop sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Hey there,

The 2000ad online forum - www.2000adonline.com - is very good for picking up bits and pieces. A few of us trade on there and can usually sort out anything people need. It's mainly UK based but a few Irish and a good few Northern Irish.

I personally feel that you paid a lot more than you potentially needed to, but don't want to sour you on your purchase, if you enjoy them, then they're worth that to you.

I assembled my collections by buying up loads of other collections (I now find myself with 22k comics though so perhaps you have been smarter in the long run!)

In general, progs 100 - present-ish can be found dirt cheap, 50p a prog downwards. The only ones that fetch good prices are progs 1 and 2, if gifts attached and good condition and the 'banned' progs 71, 72, 77 and 78 - which I've sold for around £20 each in fair condition. There are a few other exceptions throughout the years and other rarities which are of interest to the collector.

In general, it's a really good comic to collect, cheap, not a million spin-offs/variants and, most importantly for me, some of the best stories and artwork in any comic ever made.

As for finding the Summer specials, ask over on the 2000ad Classifieds board and mention your location or have a scout on eBay.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I paid too much for the collection, but I suppose it is hard to find all of them in the one place, so I am happy enough with it really. I was talking to the guy who sold me the collection and he has a shop on ebay. I told me he started out collecting them when he was a paper boy and then when mad on ebay buying 2000ADs. He mentioned that prog one can go for fifty to hundred and fifty euro on ebay, depending on condition and who is bidding. The spinner with prog one is common enough and worth maybe sixty euro. The stickers with prog two are a much better gift and I saw a very nice copy of prog two with the stickers make three hundred and fifty euro a week or two ago. I think any free stickers are rare enough as everyone would have used them first day. I am watching a prog two with the stickers at the moment, which is on for one hundred and seventy euro. Thanks for letting me know about the site and I am looking forward to checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Nice one.

Definitely didn't mean to say you overpaid massively, any collectable items are worth what you want to you after all.

There was a lovely mint Prog 2, with stickers, on eBay a while back which created a nice buzz as it was truly mint. I forget what it went for but it was shockingly high.

Most of my 1's and my 2's are low grade sadly.

Hope you enjoy your massive readathon! It really is the greatest comic going.

• Advertisement

I suppose the fact that it is still going makes it more collectible I think. I know that there was a prog two with the stickers that made over one thousand dollars in America a while back, but I suppose if two people are bidding against each other, anything can happen.

Mike7 wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that it is still going makes it more collectible I think. I know that there was a prog two with the stickers that made over one thousand dollars in America a while back, but I suppose if two people are bidding against each other, anything can happen.

yes people can get carried away with the budding. the problem with 2000ad is that it took a drop of quality in the 1990s and its value went down but it could go up again if a few more films were made about dredd or rogue trooper or other 2000ad characters

I think that you are right. It is the films that are really keeping the interest in the Marvel Comics I think. The Characters are more "real" in 2000AD and I think that they would be make film Characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think that you are right. It is the films that are really keeping the interest in the Marvel Comics I think. The Characters are more "real" in 2000AD and I think that they would be make film Characters.

2000ADs from prog 300 to about prog 1100 arent worth very much. The ones before and then after are due to reduced circulation.

Ive almost a complete collection. Put it together really cheaply (and a good percentage freely!) over the years.

Still collecting it weekly ever since prog 951 :)

Over the last few years my collecting habits have turned towards original 2000AD art. Definitely worth getting in to.

Sure, you'll pay 5-10k for a Bolland classic, but many great pages can be had for 100 and under.

That is very interesting and I suppose it makes sense as the number of people buying 2000AD has fallen away due to video games and the like. Sounds like you have a great collection. I brought the Annuals on Ebay for about eight euro including postage, it is the postage that makes collecting 2000AD dear, unless you live in the UK. Collecting the art work is a great idea as it really adds to the comic book collection. I must try and see can I bid on some. As long as 2000AD keeps going your collection should be worth a lot more in about twenty years, better then a pension I would say LOL

• Advertisement

most of 2000ad stories ,being set in the future, i think would need a bigger budget than marvel or DC to make films

Well I suppose with special effects anything is possible. Having said that Marvel really have a stranglehold on the films being produced now. I when to see Thor lately and it is great, but nearly too much over the top. I would rather see a 2000AD character to be honest.

Master of the Universe

Here are some of my original art pages if you want to have a gawk :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84595859&postcount=42

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65425644&postcount=20

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81540511&postcount=30

Also finally took a decent pic of the Henry Flint Nemesis/deadlock page

DSC_0382_zps79d31d80.jpg

DSC_0385_zpsaec8f43f.jpg

Thanks very much for showing me your artwork. They are really fantastic and great to see. I really appreciate seeing them, and I think it is great idea to collect some original art and have it in your collection.

Master of the Universe

Thanks! It can be a very addictive hobby, so be warned :D

The really great thing about seeing original art is the amount of detail which was lost when it was transferred to 2000AD

Those Johnny Hicklenton Nemesis pages for example - so much of the detail in those pieces of art was lost when transferring them over to the printed page. They're so much more breathtaking in person.

Other interesting bits are seeing the steps in the creative process.

Here's a Mark Harrison Manta Tank drawing I have.

DSC_0379_zpsb1b29464.jpg

Here's how the final version looks after he scans it to a PC and does some work.

24.jpg

You have me wanting to dig my annuals out from the attic. I haven't seen them in absolutely years!

I can see how it could become addictive, but really worth having and collecting I think. Image being on artist for 2000AD and going into a newsagent and seeing your work in the comic. It must be very exciting really. You have a wonderful collection really and a great investment too I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

o1s1n wrote: »
    You have me wanting to dig my annuals out from the attic. I haven't seen them in absolutely years!

Might be worthwhile doing that. Find some Gems for the Pat Mills Signing next week?
    https://www.facebook.com/events/309806435824475/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

Advertisement