Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Rates.

Options
  • 27-10-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Can anyone describe or provide a link to the process of rating a new building for commercial rates.

Also, I came across a High Court judgement in the past 12 months regarding a dispute over the method of calculation of rates. Did anyone see it and remember the parties or reference number?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Did you look at www.valoff.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Often, it seems to be down to what rent the property would get on the market, adjusted by a multiplier to get a sales value.

Note that the base valuation rates in Dublin (modern valuation) are different to those elsewhere in the country (19th century valuation). However, within a council area, each comparable property should have the same valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

My building was forgotten to be valued for 5 years as it was new. They valued it recently hitting me with an 8 grand a year bill , which as we all know is money for old rope.
    What query have you got? It is valued relative to similar buildings. Ie if rents have fallen they dont care as they value it today based on what it would have achieved when comparable properties were valued. You dont pay back rates and the monies are payable 6 weeks after they come along and it is entered in their list.
    If you run a lower value use from it but they think it has a higher value use they value at the higher rate unless you appeal it.
    Frankly your time could be spent more wisely improving your turnover, gross and net margins than worrying about the council rates which are just another overhead along with vat, wages, rent/mortgage, water, electricity, stock , maintainance , capital etc
    I never appealed mine as similar buildings are paying 50% more than what Im paying even though Ive a better more visable unit so undoubtadly they would have me paying more if looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone describe or provide a link to the process of rating a new building for commercial rates.

Also, I came across a High Court judgement in the past 12 months regarding a dispute over the method of calculation of rates. Did anyone see it and remember the parties or reference number?

Thanks.

Celtic Roads

Advertisement