Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 42 : Stroganoff

Options
  • 26-10-2013 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe this hasn't been a recipe on the Cooking Club yet - it's such a simple meal to prepare, tasty and perfect for an autumn evening.

You can serve it with anything you like - loaded onto a nice toasted loaf, with potato - chips, wedges, sautéed - rice is a classic.

I'm going to do it in this recipe with just some plain rice, prepared to packet instructions.

Contrary to popular belief, Stroganoff is NOT a stew or casserole, so you'll need meat suitable for quick cooking, so ask the butcher for something suitable for a stir fry. I like Sirloin, cut into strips. This week I found these Venison medallions in Lidl, and used these instead of beef. For a veggie option just stick in extra Mushrooms and omit the beef stock.

Butter is quite important for the flavour here too.

Ingredients - Serves 4

277765.jpg

500g meat, cut into strips
    an onion, thinly sliced
    about 150-200g Mushrooms
    2tbsp Tomato Puree
    1tbsp Mustard (dijon)
    1tsp Paprika
    100ml Beef Stock (I use OXO for this)
    a carton of sour cream
    fresh parsley if you have it
    pickled gherkins
    Butter for frying

The first thing I do is fry off the beef strips in butter, they are small and thin, so won't take much cooking, about a minute in a very hot pan for rare, about 3 minutes for well done - do them in batches of about 100-125g each, don't overdo them, they'll be stringy and chewy, then just stick them in a bowl until the end.

277766.jpg277767.jpg

Once you've done this, use the same pan for the next steps.

thinly slice your onion and fry in butter on a low-medium heat for about 7-10mins, until soft

277768.jpg

then add the sliced mushrooms, cook for a further 3-5mins

277769.jpg

then add the tomato puree, mustard and paprika and cook for another 2mins, stirring

add your stock, boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5mins

Add the sour cream and mix it through, then add the meat back in, and season with salt and plenty of pepper,

heat it through then spoon onto the plate with your carbs and throw some fresh chopped parsely over it, then the finely chopped gherkins on top.

A friend of mine even puts ordinary malt vinegar over this, but he loved sour things, I've never done that.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I love Stroganoff anyway, but the venison version sounds like pure genius. Will have to make a trip to Lidl. Drooling :o

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I cant see the photos after the mushrooms on the pan, but this is my dinner tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Looks lovely! I add a drop of Brandy and flambe it, dunno why it works so well, but it really adds to it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dammit. TCC is producing awesome recipes faster than I can cook them.

I've never been impressed by stroganoff, but then again I think the only times I have eaten it have been in previous work canteens, which is obviously not the best place. However, everything about this recipe looks delicious and I can't wait to try it.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made this tonight. Went down a treat. Really simple and delicious. Thanks op!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not good at keeping up with cooking club recipes, but it suited me to make this today. I've tried making stroganoff before and it's always been bland, so I was excited to try this. Unfortunately i didn't read the recipe properly and make the whole amount of sauce, even though it was for only 2 of us. So we ended up with a dish with an overpowering amount of sauce, which kind of ruined it :(. Also the beef I got, which promised to be "mouth wateringly tender" was really tough.

Overall, it was not a very successful attempt, but through no fault of the recipe. I'd try again (maybe using less tomato purée) and better beef. Thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This was dinner tonight. I liked the sauce, but I ended up overcooking the beef. It was suitable for fast cooking, but I think the sitting around while the rest of the meal was cooking toughened it up. I was going to stick it into a barely on oven, but decided to just reheat in the pan. My pan was probably too big for everything to heat up quickly. I think I'll fry in another pan just before adding to the sauce next time. It was still good though and I'd love to try the venison next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made this last week and forgot to post!I have the picture taken too, but the lappy is out action so can't upload. I doubled the recipe as we had guests that evening. I seared the meat rather quickly, less time than suggested; set pan on the highest heat and add the strips one by one, and by the time I laid down the last strip, I immediately went straight to the first one to flip on the other side and it browned beautifully. Perfectly rare. So when added into the sauce it will cook just medium.
    Delicious! Thanks Baldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made this for dinner today, really nice but a bit too much mustard for me - noted for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Had a go at this, I do love stroganoff and I didn't realise how easy it is to make, cheers Baldy conscience

30i9ngm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this last night. Hopes weren't hugely high as any previous experiences with Stroganoff have been of the bland, sitting all day, pub grub variety. Also thought it might have ended up a bit mustardy. Boy was I wrong - it was delicious! A really velvety taste, with only a background hint of mustard. Very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spotted this when having my 'whatever will I have for dinner' Monday night panicker and gave it a whirl. I managed to overcook my meat AND over season the sauce and it was still gorgeous and so easy to make.

033a646a-7848-445c-8d9d-e35d80399d0e_zps5eb5556a.jpg

2 thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Happy New year everyone!

Can across this recipe while looking for a dinner party idea (8 adults) My question is can I make this a few hours in advance and let it simmer or is it better to just reheat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Because it's sirloin I wouldn't simmer it for hours. Far better to let it cool and then reheat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Because it's sirloin I wouldn't simmer it for hours. Far better to let it cool and then reheat it.

Thanks Dizzy!

Advertisement