Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Ghost Towns

• 26-10-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭ losthorizon

Interesting Set of Pictures. The Town in France Ive read about before - the Nazis shot all the inhabitants and torched the place I think. The French have left it like that as a reminder of the sheer madness of the nazi regime. I think the town in Namibia was a mining town and of course the Great Blasket Islands were evacuated (wrongly?). Most of these places can be visited.

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2013/10/ghost-towns-around-world-85-pics.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭ mrDerek

there should be some backstory to all these pics

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭ losthorizon

Its a pity they were demolished - it would have been a great tourist attraction. Crazy looking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭ Red Kev

There's also Hashima Island off Japan, a former coal mine and was an inspiration for a scene in Skyfall.

Battle-Ship_Island_Nagasaki_Japan.jpg

hashima-12.jpg

hashima-gunkanjima-gakuranman7.jpg

25.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭ byhookorbycrook

Interesting to see the Great Basket on the list ,no mention of the village in Achill or Ballinskelligs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭ M5

277783.jpg

There are several in the West, this one is in Achill (complete with ghostly lighting :) )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭ byhookorbycrook

M5 wrote: »
    277783.jpg

There are several in the West, this one is in Achill
    Can't see them on the page above. Nice shot there btw.

Can't see them on the page above. Nice shot there btw.

My m8 owns a few acres in kildare, near Moyvalley, there is one there too. Its not standing any more. The famine left loads of them behind

Came across this blog a while ago. It covers many of the sites listed above and goes into the history of the towns. Some really creepy stuff. Well worth a read and a follow

http://sometimes-interesting.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭ losthorizon

Came across this blog a while ago. It covers many of the sites listed above and goes into the history of the towns. Some really creepy stuff. Well worth a read and a follow

Thanks, just my kind of site!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭ krudler

Pripryat is fascinating, would love to go there.

Centralia too, it's one of the inspirations for Silent Hill, a town built over a coal mine that caught fire in 1962 and is still burning:

Google Streetview it, creepy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭ returnNull

krudler wrote: »
    A boardsie posted up loads of pics a few years ago from when he visited pripryat.Seriously creepy and a bit disturbing.Will see if I can find them again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ Andrewf20

krudler wrote: »

Centralia too, it's one of the inspirations for Silent Hill, a town built over a coal mine that caught fire in 1962 and is still burning:

Google Streetview it, creepy stuff

Heres a pic of Centralia main street in 1983 vs now. Kinda shocking.

7-centralia-pennsylvania-abandoned-city1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭ Access

+1 on that... Its a brilliant site with fascinating stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭ jill_valentine

Centralia is very dramatic.

Kolmanskopp featured highly in Brian Cox's enormous Debbie Downer of an episode about entropy. It's pretty spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭ HalloweenJack

I read a really good book about the Fordlandia story.

Too tired to type it all up but here's a quick go and a link to read up on it.

Henry Ford wanted more rubber for his factory so bought a crop of land in Brazil to grow it and build a town in his name.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordl%C3%A2ndia

The book is Fordlandia - The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford's Forgotten Jungle City by Greg Grandin.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 AllthingsCP

Red Kev wrote: »
    There's also Hashima Island off Japan, a former coal mine and was an inspiration for a scene in Skyfall.

Battle-Ship_Island_Nagasaki_Japan.jpg

hashima-12.jpg

hashima-gunkanjima-gakuranman7.jpg

25.jpg

Is that guy really siting on that edge. I feel like i am falling even looking at him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭ Julez

They all look like Call of Duty maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo

Kilambia in Namibia actually isnt empty

Despite the slow start, legislation signed into law by President Dos Santos has resulted in a massive boom in demand.[2] [3] The current population now sits at 40,000 residents as of September 2013 and continues to grow. Officials expect the population to reach 70,000 by January 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭ RobertFoster

Julez wrote: »
    They all look like Call of Duty maps.
    The Svalbard ones look like City 17 in Half-Life 2 to me :) That, or something from STALKER.

Advertisement