Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 40s shirt inside or outside

Options
  • 26-10-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi lads just wondering what ye think when it comes to wearing casual shirt and jeans, was at an event last night had shirt outside but looked around and seen all the lads with shirt tucked in OH suggests that only farmers were there shirt inside the trousers I am in reasonable good shape so i don't have anything to hide so is it time to tuck in the shirt what ye think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Long sleeve shirt : tucked in.

Short sleeve shirt : hanging out.

I'm 34 if that makes any odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

My default is shirt in, but OH always bitches at me over it as well. I have occasionally braved shirt out...but it's just not natural....

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Bang on, only other time I'd tuck a shirt in is if I'm wearing a jumper over it,

Op
    I'd say work away at how your wearing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Short sleeve definitely hanging out. I'm sticking to my guns on long sleeve tucked in however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

+1 completely agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Some of the more "fitted" shirts only come down to your waist & have a good hem on them - look like they've been stitched to be worn out & will look fine.

Regular long-sleeve shirts though I find look stupid if left out, like you couldn't dress yourself properly.

So depends on the style of shirt for me, but generally in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Petrie

Agree with feathers and there's a certain knack to it if you want to tuck it in and avoid the "farmer" look. What I do is tuck it right in and then move my shoulders and arms around so it just looks natural instead of beat in.

Now if you're talking about a sort of check shirt or something similar it definitely looks better out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Always go by what your OH says, I woman always knows what looks good and won't let you go out looking stupid.

• Administrators Posts: 53,640 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Agree 100%.. anything else is naff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed about there being a certain knack if tucking them in. Make sure your jeans/trousers are not pulled up high when/if you tuck the shirt in or else you'll look like Simon Cowell. Certain long sleeved dressy.going out type shirts are designed to be shortish at the waist so it would be correct for them to hang outside (particularly if they are slim fitting) but generally I would agree they be tucked in too.

PS - I don't think age comes into it as the same advice would apply to all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

popa smurf wrote: »
    Hi lads just wondering what ye think when it comes to wearing casual shirt and jeans, was at an event last night had shirt outside but looked around and seen all the lads with shirt tucked in OH suggests that only farmers were there shirt inside the trousers I am in reasonable good shape so i don't have anything to hide so is it time to tuck in the shirt what ye think.

Before out make sure there are no skid marks on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Depends on the shirt. Many long sleeve casual shirts are designed to be worn out as they aren't really long enough to tuck in. If it's very long then tuck it in as it looks weird. I never tuck shirts in unless I'm wearing a jumper or a suit and I'm 34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Playboy wrote: »
    Depends on the shirt. Many long sleeve casual shirts are designed to be worn out as they aren't really long enough to tuck in. If it's very long then tuck it in as it looks weird. I never tuck shirts in unless I'm wearing a jumper or a suit and I'm 34

+1
    Many casual shirts aren't designed to be tucked in - it completely depends on the length of the shirt and how you wear it/what you pair it with. I mostly wear All Saints casual shirts and they look rubbish when tucked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Trainee company rep merchandising Uncle Ben's products in Dunnes the other day had a striped shirt lapping his backside under a fitted jumper that finished at his waist. He looked scruffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Trainee company rep merchandising Uncle Ben's products in Dunnes the other day had a striped shirt lapping his backside under a fitted jumper that finished at his waist. He looked scruffy.

In a work environment, it always has to be tucked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

awec wrote: »
    A shirt hanging out should not hang lower than the pocket of your jeans, preferably you'd still see a bit of your belt.

if it covers your pockets its too long.

most fitted shirts are made to be worn like this.

it also depends on your build IMO.

Agree with this.

Build and shirt design are important. Left out shirts tend to be slim, tailored or athletic fit. If it looks too loose and baggy then tuck it in.

As for a short sleeve shirt, IMO they are not nice. Any girl or fashionable guy I work with have said that shirt sleeve shirts are not nice to look at on a guy. On a night out, if its not a fitted shirt would usually go for a t-shirt or some type of polo-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭OldRio

Interesting thread but me being a 55 year old farmer may I ask.

What's a short sleeve shirt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

My general rule of thumb

Flat Hem Shirts - out
    Round Hem Shirts - in
    Fancy Designer label on hem - out, unless its a "suity" shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's highly subjective.

Casual shirts tend to be left untucked.
    Formal shirts tend to be tucked.
    Wearing a suit with a shirt hanging out doesn't look great at any age.

Your age has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of style and personal taste really whether you're 18 or 118.

If it looks weird tucked, then you should probably have it untucked. If it looks weird untucked, then you should probably tuck it! It's as simple as that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

Short sleeve shirt : do not wear unless you are a postman

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

if your over weight out if your toned in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

starskey77 wrote: »
    if your over weight out if your toned in

I'd say the opposite, if you have a belly, and I'm speaking from first hand experience here, leaving a shirt hanging out can actually make you look bigger than you are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I tend to only have a shirt out, if I've a t-shirt underneath and I'm wearing the shirt open. Other than that I always wear it tucked in.

Advertisement