Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zulu

Options
  • 26-10-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

the film Zulu is one of my top films. One of the stalwart characters in Zulu was Colour Sgt Bourne.

Really taken aback to find that the real Colour Sgt Bourne was at the School of Musketry at Dollymount through WW1. Having retired as an Honorary Major in late 1907 from the School of Musketry in Hythe in Kent, he came back to the colours in 1914. Retired again as an Honorary Lt Colonel in 1918. Died VE Day 1945.

Never cease to be surprised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Frank Bourne was also one of the youngest Colour Sargents in the history of the British Army and, I think, the youngest Colour Sargent in the Army at the time of his promotion.

Reynolds, the surgeon, was a native of Dun Laoghaire (then Kingstown) and a graduate of Trinity.

Despite what the film suggests, one the great unsung heroes of the battle was the Asst Commissary, James Dalton who was in reality an experienced soldier. He did a lot of the defensive organisation, steadied a lot of nervous and inexperienced soldiers, and directed fire during the various attacks. He also, at one stage, took to throwing his hat at some Zulu who were trying to outflank his position!

If your interested, Ian Knight's book "Zulu Rising' is as comprehensive an account of the Battles of Rorke's Drift and iSlandwana as you are likely to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I've not read the book so may well go for it (though I've a long list of WW1 related books still to acquire and read). Though WW1, Easter Rising, Tan War and WoI are my main interest I do delve into other eras/wars

Have to agree about Dalton not having enough recognition. There's also various theories around why Bourne didn't get the VC and his declining a commission (most likely being that he wouldn't have been able to afford the lifestyle it would have involved).

I have Bourne's record sheet from his time at the School of Musketry at Hythe. Would like to find out more about his service in Dublin as well as more about the School of Musketry in Dollymount. I am aware of a couple of NCO's from the school being captured during the Rising but that's about it (based on BMH witness statements and the 1916 Rebellion Handbook).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Jawgap wrote: »

If your interested, Ian Knight's book "Zulu Rising' is as comprehensive an account of the Battles of Rorke's Drift and iSlandwana as you are likely to find.

book has arrived and 3 chapters in already. It's a beefy bit of work.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Johnny

Advertisement