Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Is Your Franchise Going?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Now that we're just about halfway through the regular season, I thought it would be interest to see how everyone is feeling about their franchise. The good and bad so far, what people did in terms of tweaks and changes to their teams and what you are expecting for the future etc.

Picking at #20, I didn't think the Saints would fall to me and hadn't played with them until the night of my pick when I realised I may be able to get them. When they eventually did fall to me, it didn't take me long to pull the trigger. Brees and that offense were too tempting to pass up and I would have kicked myself if I had overlooked them and gone on to had a bad season with another team.

When I got my hands on them, the salary cap worried me a bit but I realised quickly that I had a couple of players who were essentially ''get out of jail free'' cards in terms of being very replaceable and who would help relieve my cap space at the same time by leaving. Regarding on the field, I didn't have any huge weakness except for a couple of positions, one being free safety (which I was able to sort out by acquiring Chris Clemons in a trade with the Dolphins) and one on the O-line which I was able to sort out by moving my rookie LT Terron Armstead to RT for a season while he developed (side note -he's going to be a beast by season three). I was obviously delighted with the players at most of the skill positions.

The season started off pretty badly with Brees throwing interceptions left, right and center as Gatsby's Falcons beat me 37-35 in an offensive shootout. I then beat Empacher's Bucs in my next game also separated by a field goal or less, 28-24. The CPU cards were dispatched of by 8 points, 20-12 and next I beat the high-flying Dolphins 26-13. Raoul's Bears defeated me by a TD, 28-21 in a thriller before I got back to winning ways against Guns' Patriots, 21-17. The win against the CPU Bills tonight has brought me to 5-2 (plus my bye week) at week 8. I have a two game stretch against Berty and Mikey next, so that will give me a great indication of where I'm at.

Touching on my future plans, unfortunately there's a 99% chance Brees will be retiring after season one, and I have already set the wheels in motion by trading (or trying to, despite Madden's best attempts to stop myself and Perrin completing this trade. Hopefully we get it over the line before the deadline) my 2014 2nd round pick for Tyler Bray, a rookie quarterback who I feel I'll be able to develop reasonably quickly in order to be back on track for season 3. There's some tough contract questions to be answered soon, although I've tied Graham up now which is a big weight off my Madden mind as I can afford to lose the others but Graham was irreplaceable. I feel I need to get better at the MLB position, shore up my O-line a bit in preparation for Armstead's move to LT and get better at pass defense, so they will all be targets for improvements during the draft and the offseason.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. A winning record (for now) helps of course, but this time last year I had to drop out of the league and didn't get to play competitive games for around 9 months so it's great to be back into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So far as my first connected season it's been alright, fairly poor record with 2-5, but all of the losses apart from one were at most a TD, so it's not a case that I'm being slaughtered every time (apart from when I faced the Cowboys!).

I'm still getting used to the running game, and I started off throwing an enormous amount of INTs, but they're coming down quick and my turnovers are less. Like yourself, I need to watch out for Rivers and Gates retiring. Sorenson is a nice backup though, but I might look into next years draft at QB. RB is another position I'm trying to change, not having any joy with Mathews, but Woodhead is a nice alternative. No injuries yet, luckily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I've surprised myself if I'm honest. I was shocked the Vikings fell as far as they did and I was able to pick them up.

I've always been useless running the ball and it was my biggest flaw with the great packers team I had last year so I took the Vikings and praticed (a lot).

I'm developing a great understanding of blocks (both in Madden and when watching the games) which has helped AP become the absolute stat-whore and MVP candidate. Both season records for yards and TDs will likely go this year judging by where I'm at in mid season.

The big question marks for me with the Vikings were the DBs, LBs and Ponder.
    DBs I've improved in FA and have a solid if improvable core.
    LBs I've a young prospect about to become a starter at LOLB but not much else.
    LBs DBs and interior o line will be draft priorities.
    Ponder, ponder, ponder.... He's doing well because of AP. The threat of AP always commands respect from a defence so PA and short to mid routes are being very successful. The stats are lost but I mixed it up a lot more in my game with Ali and Ponder had around 300 yards with 2 or 3 TDs and no INTs.

This season - freed up cap space, improved pass rush and DBs along who an ever improving Ponder
    Off-season / next season - Draft well at key positions for improvement, continue to throw xp at Ponder
    Season 3 - get it all together for a deep playoff run all going well!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

****e, however I mised a few game. All the rest of my games are CPU though (I think) bar 3 and they see critical including 2 against the colts and one against the texans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I feel as if I'm having a pretty average season. My defence is troubling me. I think it's down to me trying to hit stick people all the time and missing loads of tackles so I'll have to try and improve on that.

As far as my actual team goes I'm happy enough with it. After making the trade with Perrin I've improved it a little bit and should be sorted for next year when Tony G retires. I think SJax is fairly likely to retire so I'll probably have to try and draft a decent RB as I don't think I'll have enough cap space to sign many top FAs in the off season.

My passing attack is quite hit and miss. When it works, it works very well. I just need to cut down on the INTs and improve my oline further and I think I'll be set. I'm enjoying playing in the NFC South this year, I think it's a very competitive division and I felt that both of my divisional games thus far could have had different results.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Chiefs defense is just class,offense so so.
    Also decided at the start of the season to start 4 rookies who've worked out quite well so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

After the recent FA pickup the Browns offence now looks like this
    Johnny
    send48.jpg

+
    Josh
    thenug-ZjYFdnnJsh.jpg

+

Colt
    scarface-1.jpg

=