Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cortisol and schizophrenia

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've got a question that I feel a bit silly asking, but I can't think of any place better to do so than here!

My sister has been on medication for schizoaffective disorder for about 6 years now, so I've long been conscious of the fact that I may be genetically predisposed to a schizotypal disorder.

I've recently developed contact dermatitis and my doctor suggested I get Cortopin, a cream containing hydrocortisone, which increases cortisol levels. Basically my question is, is it be possible that using this cream could increase the likelihood of developing schizophrenia by elevating my cortisol levels, although it's not exactly an environmental stressor? Or am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

You're being unnecessarily paranoid. That cream acts locally on the site of the dermatitis, not throughout your body like an oral medication would, so there's nothing to worry about.

Even if you were to take oral steroids it wouldn't increase your chances of schizophrenia per se, but there would be a minimal chance of steroid psychosis.

So basically there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that that cream will give you schizophrenia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Medical advice is not allowed here as per the forum charter. That applies for giving it as well as asking for it..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement