Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aptamil- dirty nappies!?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I started my 11 week old LO on Aptamil just two weeks ago, after breastfeeding exclusively. I am now giving her one feed in the morning myself and then 4 bottles made with Aptamil to feed her the rest of the day. I'm finding her dirty nappies horrific! Since yesterday evening, she's had at least 6 dirty nappies. The PHN called this morning and said this is normal with Aptamil fed babies because of all the probiotics in it. Does anyone else find this with their babies? I'm thinking if it continues I'll change to another formula.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

My baby hated aptamil when he came off breast milk. Started him on the cow and gate ready made milk and he likes that and more importantly it agreed with him. No spitting up or really bad nappies ( once a day max ) but be careful because I started him on the ready made stuff and when I tried to move him to the powder he wouldn't touch it. So we've used the litre bottles since. He's already costing me a fortune!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It could be the adjustment to the change over,give him a week or 2 and see how it goes or talk to your PHN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Formula nappies will tend to be more dirty than breast milk nappies. So much of the nutrients of bm are absorbed as well as bm bring sterile so very little goes the whole way through their system and its pretty light.
    Formula has a lot of preservatives and additives so a lot is left un absorbed and results in gunkier poos!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Horiffic is the only name for it.

I gave a bottle of aptamil from 3 months on once a day and the nappy at 10am the following day would be a totally different colour and smell like some sort of strange cheese.

No. 1 was fed aptamil from 3 weeks till 12 months and she didnt have a solid poo until after I introduced cows milk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You are going to see a massive difference in poo as you change from breastmilk to formula. Breastmilk poo doesn't really smell at all, and the little smell it does have is sort of biscuity. Whereas formula poo is very pungent and has a much stickier consistency. It's why it's ok for cloth nappy users to put poopy nappies directly in the washing machine if the baby is exclusively breastfed but if they have even a small amount of formula they need to remove the poo before it goes in the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Thanks for all the replies. I think the Aptamil just isn't agreeing with her. She's had three days on the trot now with a dirty nappy every time she's had a bottle! The poop really is horrific, liquidy gooey green with a smell that would make you faint. I feel like putting on a gas mask every time I change her 8-/. The poor wee mite. I might wait a few more days to see if things have settled, otherwise I'll be changing formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

With my first I tried every other formula (in the supermarket) when she was about 10 weeks old as she was suffering from colic and there was very little difference in the poo, she took 6 feed of each and I went back to aptamil..... aptamil comfort was the worst, like over cooked spinach!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You think the nappies are bad now?, wait until they start eating solids... ;)
    We were shocked too going from breast milk to Aptimal but my sisters and friends told us that's par for the course and not to be bothered by it as the solids nappies will make that seem like nothing. They were right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

we tried our little girl on many formula's and decided on aptamil with adivice from the public nurse as she had problems with doing poo's ,it worked after the second day she was regular as clock work,her poo's were very green and we told the public nurse and she told us that this was very common with babys fed on aptamil, as it has a higher content of iorn and that her body was expelling the iorn and that was what was making her poos so green .

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Thanks for all the replies. I think the Aptamil just isn't agreeing with her. She's had three days on the trot now with a dirty nappy every time she's had a bottle! The poop really is horrific, liquidy gooey green with a smell that would make you faint. I feel like putting on a gas mask every time I change her 8-/. The poor wee mite. I might wait a few more days to see if things have settled, otherwise I'll be changing formula.

Could be lactose intolerance, had experience of this with my little man and had to move him to lactose free formula, but that was after a visit to see a paediatrician, his nappies were runny green and explosive always after having a bottle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I was prepared for some dirty nappies but not the sheer volume of dirty nappies and how toxic they would be. Every time I change her nappy, it's dirty. So 5-6 dirty nappies per day! Is this normal? I bought Cow&Gate and I might try her on it to see how that goes. Otherwise, I think I will go to see a paediatrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If been feeding my 10 week old aptimil since I stopped breast feeding at 7 weeks and he has days that he could have 6 poohy nappies and then other days where he will only go once but its normal so nothing to worry about

Advertisement