Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I get sued?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Not too sure am I in the right forum here but here goes

Hi, need a bit of advice here and maybe some suggestions what I should do.
    I stayed in a rented house where I had one room rented from the end of September only for a few months maybe 3 or 4 I can't remember and then I moved into another room in the house for another 3 months, my stay in the house was around the 23 sep to April 16th 2013

Basically the house had not been declared to the revenue that it's was being rented. All rent paid was cash in the hand.
    For the first room I was paying 50 euro a well and the second room was 63 a week.
    Only a month ago I got a letter from revenue saying that I might be entitled to some rent relief, so I applied for it as I am currently out of work.
    I've since got a call from my previous landlady asking me had I been in touch with the revenue to which I said yes I received a letter saying that I was entitled to something. She wasn't mad at me or anything and had said it was her own fault for not declaring, I asked what are the repercussions for her to which she replied that the house might get taken off them, awkward.
    I've since received a figure that I was entitled from my 4 years of renting including other houses.

Today she rang me up again basically saying that I was a great tenant and that ' I'm not telling you what to do now but it's best all our details are correct' she accused me of saying that I put on the form that I was paying 80 something a week, I asked her where she came up with that, u text me saying it, I replied saying no I haven't sent you any messages at all, and I said that she must of gotten her messages on her phone mixed up. She sounded confused but that must of been what happened, she's terrible with phones.

Basically I'm worried I might be called to court, she mentioned that all out details have to be correct. I can't remember exactly what I said I was paying per month on the form I sent on but I think I put down around 270, I basically rounded it off to a point. I actually don't know what the average monthly payment was per month as I rented 2 rooms at different rates but my latest calculations are giving me 14 weeks ( up to Xmas)by 50 euro plus 16 weeks by 63 which 1708 divided by the bones of 7 months is 244 per month.
    Am I liable for anything even though I mistakenly said I was paying 270 a month?she mentioned other tenants had also claimed but I'm unaware who, to be honest don't want to know.this is 6 months since I moved out, don't want anything to do with the house anymore.
    What should I do from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'd worry about more important things.

If you've made a mistake on a form to the revenue write to them, apologise and ask them to correct the error/tell you how much you have to pay back (it will be a small enough sum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Bepolite wrote: »

If you've made a mistake on a form to the revenue write to them, apologise and ask them to correct the error/tell you how much you have to pay back (it will be a small enough sum).

Cheers be polite, I was just a bit worried,after talking to my dad he was saying she was the one conning the government/tax payer in comparison to me mistakenly putting down an extra26 euro on a form. But I'll take your advice,cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, I'd agree. Make sure your business is correct. Let the landlady deal with Revenue herself. Don't worry about it, and don't get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Only a month ago I got a letter from revenue saying that I might be entitled to some rent relief ...

I didn't know that Revenue wrote to you about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Five Lamps wrote: »

They do if you ring them and ask them to write to you, I'd say.

• Advertisement

Five Lamps wrote: »

Yup, well it was just a random letter that I got sent, I hadn't sought them out or set out to claim any rent relief until I got it in the door.i don't know why I was sent it, i asked a few friends and previous housemates has anything been sent to them but none of them had.
    I thought that maybe because I had finished work back in April and that I had lately applied for job seekers benefit that somehow the 'system', picked me out, but that can't be right. So I guess I was a random name, I don't know how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yup, well it was just a random letter that I got sent, I hadn't sought them out or set out to claim any rent relief until I got it in the door.i don't know why I was sent it, i asked a few friends and previous housemates has anything been sent to them but none of them had.
    I thought that maybe because I had finished work back in April and that I had lately applied for job seekers benefit that somehow the 'system', picked me out, but that can't be right. So I guess I was a random name, I don't know how it works

Revenue don't talk to welfare like that.

Nor do they send you a letter advertising a tax relief that was scrapped close to four years ago.

At a guess, your landlord was audited. The letter was a fishing excersise. My understanding is that revenue have a level of autonomy when doing such exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

How do Revenue reconcile months with weeks?

Do they work by a 30 day rule ((weekly amount/ 7) x 30) or do they just do some rough '4 weeks in a month' job on it?

I never know what to say on these sort of forms. It sounds like a dumb question to queue to ask!

Revenue don't talk to welfare like that.

Nor do they send you a letter advertising a tax relief that was scrapped close to four years ago.

At a guess, your landlord was audited. The letter was a fishing excersise. My understanding is that revenue have a level of autonomy when doing such exercises.

The letter said said that I'd only be entitled to rent relief if the first rent claimed was before December 2010, I had stated renting in March 2010 - April 2013, I thought it just might be that, a fishing exercise, although there was no documents to suggest I lived at this address owned by this particular landlady, so It would seem to suggest I was a random.

How do Revenue reconcile months with weeks?

Do they work by a 30 day rule ((weekly amount/ 7) x 30) or do they just do some rough '4 weeks in a month' job on it?

I never know what to say on these sort of forms. It sounds like a dumb question to queue to ask!

Your guess is as good as mine, I have no idea of the finer details, on the form they ask for monthly rent, not a weekly rent figure, this is the reason for my own mistake on the form as I was trying to work out the average I paid between two rooms over the 7 odd months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

tax relief in 2012 was up to 1,200 paid in rent and up to 1,000 in 2013
    So as long as you paid at least 100 a month, your tax cashback was justified.
    As for the landlady, she should have done everything right, so let her worry about those things.

Icepick wrote: »
    tax relief in 2012 was up to 1,200 paid in rent and up to 1,000 in 2013
    So as long as you paid at least 100 a month, your tax cashback was justified.
    As for the landlady, she should have done everything right, so let her worry about those things.

Thanks for clarifying that icepick, I'm in the clear so regardless of my mistake on the form.phew

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bepolite wrote: »

As noted above, you might owe them nothing, but it may be useful to straighten things out.

Advertisement