Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorable/favourite Multiplier Maps

Options
  • 25-10-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭

So i was reading this article on IGN (Whatever :D) about the science of multiplayer mapping and it got me thinking of all the amazing maps that have hooked me into MP games over the years. These are three of my favorite maps from different games.

Return To Castle Wolfenstein - Beach !

cropped-Beach.jpg

This map started it all for me ! I would have only been 13/14 at the time, so maybe it felt more epic to me than some of the more seasoned gamers at the time... but i loved this map, it was like being part of that scene in saving private ryan, running up the beach getting destroyed by all the camping assholes in the base ! So much fun.

De_Dust 2 - Counterstrike

de_dust2.jpg

I don't think any map has ever been as iconic and relevant for as long as this one, its been the staple map for counter strike since its release in 2001ish. Still, nearly 13 years on, its the most played map in CS, both casually and in competitive play. Loved it since i got my first headshot on long, and still love it now.

2fort - Team Fortress

2fort_tfc.jpg

For me it was always between CS and TFC as to which game i would get addicted to ! While CS won in the end, this map gave me so many great memories. From the ridiculous sniper duals, to the hours on end practicing my conc jumping from one end to the other, it always had me hooked. Even in TF2 it remains my favorite map and the first map i'll search for when i go to play. Never played the orginal quakeworld mod, but im sure it was just as awesome in it too !

There really hasn't been that many maps in recent multiplayer shooters that have had that lasting effect on me, but that could just be down to youth/nostalgia !

Has anyone else got any favorite maps that they would play the game just for that map ? Doesn't even have to be from a shooter or online game.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

DM4

</thread>

:p

Actually, I always preferred DM6 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Quake 2 Q2DM1 EDGE

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

TimeSplitters 2 - Ice Station

Ice_Station.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Crash from COD4 (MW2 pic but it's in that too as DLC)

cod4-mw2-crash-map.jpg

Terminal from MW2, suits every game type

post-123131-1264355571.jpg

Can I include Mario Kart :pac: if so then Rainbow Road

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Quake 2 Q2DM1 EDGE

/thread

pfff q2eer! :p

Actually, I think it's a really good map too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I like Aztec in CS. Good map and quite fun to play. Double_Cross in TF2 is another that I like, decent map for playing as a sniper.

I'd agree with Dust2 and 2Fort, both some of my favourite maps.

From Battlefield, Strike at Karkand, and from BF3, Operation Metro and Damavand Peak (mostly for the cliff jump).

Outside of shooters, Kasyr Lutein from Dawn of War was my favourite map there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

that really small one on mw2, only because i somehow managed a game of ranked free for all where i clocked up 80-something kills against 3 deaths. to give you an idea of how incredibly unlikely that was, i'd usually have maybe 10-12 kills and 8-12 deaths when i play COD (i dont have the time to put into getting good). that one round made me look like a COD god, and i'll always cling to it. sure, the chopper did most of the work while i hid in a pipe, but it was a good day to be me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Facing World - Unreal Tournament

I only ever played this against bots with one or two friends thrown in. Whether it was balanced or well constructed, I have no idea, I never played it competitively. The setting itself is fantastic, to use an overused word; fighting on a rock hurtling through space is nothing short of epic

FacingWorlds.jpg

Facilty - Goldeneye

The game that introduced console's to the fps genre and the best map from it. Similar to what Halo did for xbox more recently. People will claim both games aren't even that good in the first place and they do not hold up at all these days. You really had to be there at the time in your friends kitchen playing 4-player over and over to truly understand.

Facility.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Totally agree on the Beach level in RTCW. Was awesome.

UT99 Facing Worlds.

FacingWorlds.jpg

Soldier of Fortune 2 Kam2.

kam2_f.jpg

Valhalla/Ragnarok Halo 3 and 4.

gallery_1_204_173100.png

COD4 Crash.

Minecraft%20Crash%20Map%20COD4%20Cover_1257849.jpg

Quite a few of these babies.

1429482-goldeneye007_multiplayermaps.jpg

titan18 wrote: »

Outside of shooters, Kasyr Lutein from Dawn of War was my favourite map there

We still play Dawn online, and we mostly play that map. Best by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Powerzone - Bomberman

You start with maximum upgrades and there's no blocks. Pure mayhem

Bomber2--article_image.jpg

Longest Yard - Quake 3

This map is constantly played in 5th gear as there is nowhere to hide

levelguide_longestyard_1.jpg

Blood Gulch - Halo

The one with the tanks. I remember hooking up few xboxes and playing 8 player ctf on this map.

300px-Blood_gulch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We still play Dawn online, and we mostly play that map. Best by a mile.

People still play DoW online? Haven't played in ages, got bored of logging on only to find 4 people online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Metal Gear Online:Groznji Grad

Groznyj_Grad1.jpg

Metal Gear Online:Hazard House
    99158_mgo-650.jpg

Metal Gear Online:Outer Outlet
    ku-xlarge.jpg

Metal Gear Online:Icebound Inferno
    Iceboundinferno.jpg

Call of duty 4: Overgrown
    Bare_Load_Screen_Overgrown_CoD4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Shipment Cod 4. Was about 4 times smaller that the smallest map in MW2. MW2 had great maps Wasteland Highrise Favela Sub base Carentan in Cod2. Arica Harbor and Hamburger hill in BFBC2. As for BF3 Canals for tdm, Damavand Peak for rush.

titan18 wrote: »
    People still play DoW online? Haven't played in ages, got bored of logging on only to find 4 people online

Yup, if you play through Dark Crusade or Soul Storm, still plenty of people around playing. Most nights I'm on, there's 30 or so people playing in the lobby. Didn't like Dawn of War 2 MP, so have been playing DOW and the addons on and off for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can think of a few off the top of my head including Medal Of Honor Rising Sun map with the 2 ships.

Should be a good thread if updated properly and should bring back some good memories. Surely there was some Timesplitters Future Perfect maps also that were good? The disco map?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Summoners Rift?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stack. 4 player, License to Kill.

fP2uRMP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'd agree with some of the previous

- Battlefield 2 : Karkand / Wake Island
    - Cod 4 : Crash
    - Timesplitters , Goldeneye etc.

2 I haven't seen mentioned....really...CLASSIC maps

COD2 Carentan