Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going so well then 3 flats in 3 weeks

Options
  • 25-10-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

I started to cycle to work each morning, started in September the 20th 2012. I have gone over a year without any problems at all "Lucky?". Anyways over the past 3 weeks I have got 3 flats, it all started to happen as soon as the weather turned from fine sunny days to wet and windy days.

Bike is a Trek 7.1fx with Bontrager H2 tyres I think, Or it could be just standard Bontrager tyres.
    I’m lucky I also have a car, so cause of the flats I have hardly took the bike out the past 3 weeks. But when I did I managed to puncture it "two in the back wheel 1 in the front" Due to 4 kids and longish hours at work I don't get the time to work on the bike during the week.

The last puncture this week on Tuesday was the last straw after having to walk the last 2miles home. I went online and order continental gaterskin tyres. If this does not work im tempted to also use slim in the tubes.

So with the crap weather can I expect more punctures? Things was so much better in the sun.
    Anyone else having the same luck as myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Your tyres were probably on their last legs and had cuts which has let glass, etc in. New tyres should sort this. Make sure your tyres are pumped to the recommended psi as low air will give u pinch flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

What pressure do you pump them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

If you're doing a lot of commuting through the city it's a good idea, when you have the time, to deflate both tyres and carefully look over all the nicks in the tyre.
    Remove all the shards of glass/ bits of stone which have embedded themselves in your tyres (I use the end of a sharp kitchen knife).
    You'll be amazed how much gets in there.
    If the glass is removed it has no chance to worm its way through your tyre to your tube, if it's left there - it could = puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

They are 35mm wide tyres so I pump them up to the max 80 normally. Tuesdays puncture I did not have the front tyre pumped up to the full 80 was around the 70 to 75. Not much weight goes to the front so sometime I don't pump it up to the max & find it helps with the bumps.

I have examined the tyres a few times and have pulled out shards of glass & other objects. But as you say they are cut up somewhat and getting more so by the week. Even have some slight cracks on the side walls.

My commute is only a little over 18km round trip. So the new tyres upgrade is well over due. Don't want to be stuck out in the country side one of these nights with a puncture "narrow roads".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Unfortunately if you cycle enough, you will get punctures, it's unavoidable. Happens more in the rain. Practice changing a tube so you can do it quickly at the side of the road. I always carry 2 tubes in my bag, tyre levers and a mini track pump. Well maintained tyres are your best bet, as said before pick the glass out. I sometimes glue nicks in a newish tyre. Vitorria Randonneurs are heavy, but good for commuting. The slimes tubes are ok, but don't always work in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

A mechanic looked at my tyres and picked out a few pieces of glass, then put a drop of loctite in each cut. I was amazed at the glass. I never look but I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

There are plently of threads on armoured tyres if that's your poison. Personally I despise gatorskins but but have had positive experience with Bontrager racelite hardcase tyres (Not sure if they go up past 28mm though) on what was originally a very similar bike to your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

There are plently of threads on armoured tyres if that's your poison. Personally I despise gatorskins but but have had positive experience with Bontrager racelite hardcase tyres (Not sure if they go up past 28mm though) on what was originally a very similar bike to your own.

Agree. I use 23mm tires, and I have had the most luck using tires with high tpi (threads per sq. inch). The bontragers I use are very expensive, but have a thin kevlar strip up the middle of the tire and 260tpi. I rarely get a puncture and when I do, it's usually a pinch flat. If you want to stay light, go for a high tpi.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Wet makes rubber easy to cut (in fact in the lab to cut rubber tubing you wet it first), so expect punctures in rain (had one myself in properly inflated relatively new gatorskins in last week's rain). that said do check for sneaky glass fragments when you check with your tire pressure the amount of it is really amazing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

We'll got my new tyres today so will be fitting them shortly. On holidays this week so it will be next week before I get to test them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Go on then. Tell us?

Advertisement