Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a pc through 2 routers?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So my gateway is 192.168.100.1

I have a router connected to that via Ethernet that has PCs connected with the range 192.168.1.x

I can't seem to access a PC on 192.168.1.3 when wirelessly connected to the gateway.

How do I fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

If your using a standard class C subnet then you have two different networks there that's why you cant access it.
    Change the subnet to class B and it should work
    so in your network settings change your subnet from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Apologies, I posted first using my sons account and deleted the post, he sometimes uses this laptop.

Most household routers are class c only. It's better to make your second router behave like an Access Point, give it a lan IP in the 192.168.100.0 subnet, disable DHCP and connect it just using the lan port so it is not routing and your gateway handles DHCP (tape over the wan port). You will have one class c subnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok dumb this down for me guys.
    give it a lan IP in the 192.168.100.0

So go into the settings of my 2nd router and set it's IP manually?
    disable DHCP and connect it just using the lan port

So prevent the 2nd router from giving out IP addresses?

Is there anywhere else i need to set the 2nd router to be an "access point"?

Thanks for the help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

quarryman wrote: »

Yes
    So prevent the 2nd router from giving out IP addresses?

Yes
    Is there anywhere else i need to set the 2nd router to be an "access point"?

Can't really tell, some routers actually have a setting that will change all the options to stop it from functioning as a wireless access point (dhcp etc) and will just allow them to function as a dumb gateway passing traffic to the 'actual' access point.

Really what you're looking to achieve is for one of the routers to just be used to extend the range of the wireless network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Yes, under lan settings give it a lan IP 192.168.100.2, (note, this IP is just for management later when you have one subnet). You will have to connect using your pc directly connected by cable and have it disconnected from the original router to change the lan IP, when done reboot it and once done login again on this new IP and disable DHCP and reboot it again. Then connect a lan port to the other router.

You can set both wireless SSID's and encryption key and type the same and your devices will roam from one to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok i've been banging my head against the wall for the last hour, restarting routers, resetting IPs etc.

Then I read the guide here (now that I know what an access point is):

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Then I went back and saw this part of your post which I had ignored:
    smee again wrote: »
    connect it just using the lan port so it is not routing

THIS is what was catching me out. Once I just used a normal LAN port it all worked seamlessly.

Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement