Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpdesk, no experience?

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, just looking for a little advice, would really appreciate any guidance.

I've spent the last 8 years working in live sound, but I find work in the music industry very random and erratic, and want something more secure and stable. Computers are my only other passion besides music, so I've set my sights on getting an IT Helpdesk job.

I passed the CompTIA A+ recently, and have been sending out my CV to Helpdesk/Support jobs for the past couple of weeks, with no joy. I know a couple of weeks isn't a long time in terms of job hunting, but I am worried my previous work will dismiss me instantly with employers. I have no degree, and I am 50/50 as to whether 2 years Computer Science in college before I decided to pursue music actually looks good or bad on my CV...

So my question is; do any level 1 helpdesk jobs come up that don't require experience? Should I stick at it, or is there a better route to take?

I'm self-studying now for Network+, and I'd eventually like to get Cisco/MS certs or go for a part-time degree if I can get working. Would Network+ make me more employable, even with no relevant experience?

I'd be happy to do a free internship if it got me a few months experience, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. I know there is always JobBridge, but I was hoping to avoid going on the dole.

Does anybody have any similar experience or advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

They do come up , but you will be at the coal face.
    If you have any extra experience at all at this point , put it on your cv.
    even if its that you built a pc for yourself , or a family member.
    Anything at all to get across the idea that you have an active interest in bettering yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 layne84

Thanks horgan, I've built plenty of custom PC's as specific audio workstations, so I'll get that in somewhere on the CV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Any experience you have with MS Office is also worth putting into the CV.

Advertisement