Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Rescind Meteor Contract Due To Woeful Service

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is 4 months into an 18 mth contract with Meteor.
    He lives in Clontarf and can only use his phone in certain spots around the house.
    He works all around nth Dublin and finds the overall service to be very patchy and unreliable ..... frequently, either he can't be heard or visa versa.

I reckon that under consumer legislation he is not getting the service he contracted for.
    How can he exit this contract without incurring major cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 contrarymary

I had the same problem with them. The contract is really awkward and basically prevents you from being able to leave it early without having to pay the minimun cost of the remaining months. I joined their billpay for 18 months and weeks after signing the contract, the signal went in my area. I couldn't make calls or send/receive messages most of the time. Meteor customer care are not helpful or in any way friendly, in my experience.
    Switch to Vodafone. It's the only really good network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

eirman wrote: »
    A friend of mine is 4 months into an 18 mth contract with Meteor.
    He lives in Clontarf and can only use his phone in certain spots around the house.
    He works all around nth Dublin and finds the overall service to be very patchy and unreliable ..... frequently, either he can't be heard or visa versa.

I reckon that under consumer legislation he is not getting the service he contracted for.
    How can he exit this contract without incurring major cost?

Get him to try out the SIM with a different phone. If he lived in a remote area the poor coverage might make sense but according to this his coverage should be decent.

http://www.meteor.ie/talk-text-coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks contrarymary. He was with Vodafone, but was tempted by a Meteor offer .... now he wants to rejoin Vodafone but is trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 contrarymary

It's exactly the same with me. I tried everything to get out of the contract, but they really don't make it easy. I found posting directly to their facebook page gets an answer from them quite rapid! (once it's not abusive or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely someone on the legal forum here would know of the procedure to follow to get out if the service is not as described. I don't care who they are, if the service is not as it should be, it must be possible to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

I'll advise him to try another phone as recommended by Mezcita.

A better course of action would be keep a log of the network faults for a few weeks and then cancel/terminate the contract and return to Vodafone.

.... Then if necessary take them to the small claims court if they continue to extract their monthly ransom. No company likes bad publicity.

EDIT: Just wondering ... can Meteor refuse to port his 087 number back to Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Mezcita wrote: »
    Get him to try out the SIM with a different phone. If he lived in a remote area the poor coverage might make sense but according to this his coverage should be decent.

http://www.meteor.ie/talk-text-coverage/

That map is a crock, i wouldn't believe any of it. Their coverage is brutal etc. but its not workable which is the most important thing. I cant because its just not feasible, and their tech support is brutal, complete waste of time.

So that coupled with other problems i was having with them in the past i've had it .... going to O2 tomorrow with a new phone. They finally managed to get rid of me after a long long struggle.

Edit: I'm out of contract so i can just go.

Advertisement