Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitelinks and the clocks changing

Options
  • 24-10-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

The clocks go back an hour this saturday evening/sunday morning.
    I'm wondering, will the Nitelinks run on the "old" time (same as you don't get an extra hour in the pub), or do they run on the changed time?

I don't wanna end up stuck in the city overnight!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Run on 'old time' afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The Nitelink runs to the previous evenings times. I have been out on both the night the clocks change. For this Saturday if you want to be technical, as the clocks go back at 0200-0100 the departures would be:

00:00
    01:00
    01:00 (+1 hour, new time, old 02:00)
    02:00
    03:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Oh and you dont get an extra hour of drinking either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Oh and you dont get an extra hour of drinking either!!!

You do if you start an hour earlier! It is a bank holiday weekend afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crucifix wrote: »
    The clocks go back an hour this saturday evening/sunday morning.
    I'm wondering, will the Nitelinks run on the "old" time (same as you don't get an extra hour in the pub), or do they run on the changed time?

I don't wanna end up stuck in the city overnight!

Happens every year.....Twice...what comes around,goes around.:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"The Nitelink service will operate on Friday and Saturday night. There will be no Nitelink service on Sunday night. Please note clocks go back one hour on Saturday night/Sunday morning. When getting a nitelink they will depart as per their normal timetable i.e. as if clocks have not changed." - Dublin Bus Website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"And remember even though the clocks will spring forward an hour this Sunday morning, you can still get your Nitelink home as normal."

The above from Dublin Bus website is very unclear.

Am I correct in thinking my 2am nightlink will go at 3am new time i.e 2am old time. It won't go at 2am new time which is basically 1am old time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "And remember even though the clocks will spring forward an hour this Sunday morning, you can still get your Nitelink home as normal."

The above from Dublin Bus website is very unclear.

Am I correct in thinking my 2am nightlink will go at 3am new time i.e 2am old time. It won't go at 2am new time which is basically 1am old time?

The buses will continue as if it were winter time, as if there was no clock change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Easter-Arrangements-2016/

Easter Saturday 26th March
    There will be a normal Saturday service, a full Nitelink service will operate and diversions will be in place due to the closure of O'Connell Street. And remember even though the clocks will spring forward an hour this Sunday morning, you can still get your Nitelink home as normal.

There's a lot to be said for a Sandwichboardman all the same....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolute shambles. Massive queues for Nitelinks on Westmoreland St atm.

Why do DB not operate on the same clock as the rest of the world?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Absolute shambles. Massive queues for Nitelinks on Westmoreland St atm.

Why do DB not operate on the same clock as the rest of the world?

Well that would mean a full hour less of buses.

The whole point of staying on winter time is that the full normal number of departures operate.

The same applies when the clocks go back.

One of the problems with staying on the old time is smartphones will automatically update their time, and people may not be aware that DB haven't updated theirs. Arrive at 3.50am for the last bus to find it's already gone etc.

n97 mini wrote: »
    One of the problems with staying on the old time is smartphones will automatically update their time, and people may not be aware that DB haven't updated theirs. Arrive at 3.50am for the last bus to find it's already gone etc.
    Given the clocks went forward that wouldn't be an issue.

The last bus departed at 04:00 GMT (which is 05:00 Summer time).

Bear in mind also that licensing hours work on the basis of the old time for both clock changes (no extra hour/less hour as appropriate), so people would need to hang around town for over 2 hours after leaving a club in October to miss a bus.

Really this is such a non-issue.

By sticking to the same clock it means that there are still five departures each night between 00:30 and 04:00.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given the clocks went forward that wouldn't be an issue.

I didn't think I'd have to spell out that the scenario I mentioned is only an issue when the clocks go back. Nonetheless it is an issue.

Additionally many Nitelinks are not hourly, and turning up an hour on the wrong side can lead to a long wait.

Personally I don't really blame DB. It's only really an issue since people stopped wearing watches and started using smartphones as their timekeepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well that would mean a full hour less of buses.

The whole point of staying on winter time is that the full normal number of departures operate.

The same applies when the clocks go back.

The problem is that DB were operating off a time zone that people had moved out of.

DB should have had all timetables running "as normal" but with an hour added on.

Advertisement