Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Hand Tools - good sources?

Options
  • 24-10-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Anyone know of a good (legit) place to get quality professional grade tools 2nd hand for a self build?

I'm in the market for a kango, large hammer drill, maybe a good cordless, compressor, chop saw, etc.

Would propbabley prefer Hilti, Milwakee, etc.

Cheers,
    Ted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Yeah, I had a look at it and donedeal.

I was hoping there would be a website or physical shop somewhere I could pop into and have a look at their stock as opposed to driving around the country and negotiating with different folk!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Yea I suppose so. The only thing I could think of is to ask a few builders, if they come across anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

you could ring the hire shops they may have excess stock to sell off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

if ya look on done deal there is a lad from westmeath who sells tools. He should have everything in his shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

endasmail wrote: »
    if ya look on done deal there is a lad from westmeath who sells tools. He should have everything in his shop.

Just be careful there. I bought a Bosch cordless 24V drill from him. He gives a 30 day guarantee but after 2 months batteries died. Cost me €100 each to have them re-celled.
    He also has no shop, it's the front room of his house, if it's the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

shane0007 wrote: »
    Just be careful there. I bought a Bosch cordless 24V drill from him. He gives a 30 day guarantee but after 2 months batteries died. Cost me €100 each to have them re-celled.
    He also has no shop, it's the front room of his house, if it's the same guy.

thats a pain in the hole
    didnt know that, i was under the impression he had a busy enough operation going on there.
    I would be inclined to be wary enough of buying cordless tools for the exact same reason as what happened you.

I was & am still very happy with the drill. It is in excellent nick, just with cordless you have to factor in new or reconditioned batteries. That's where they fail & I found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

Ebay.co.uk is a good source for power tools, with parcel motel now it makes buying very possible, buy a lot of tools off eBay and they really look after power tools and would recommend it, do your research on models etc and invest time into searching for the right tool and don't loose the head while bidding, have your max cut off and stick to it. donedeal is good too but a lot of stuff on it is well wrecked and buying ex hire i wouldn't do.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I might try the tool hire shops alright - except maybe for the cordless ones. Was also chatting that lad in Westmeath, seems to know his stuff but agree about the battery reliability.

I was half thinking of buying new directly off Hilti for some of the cordless drills. Madness maybe based on the cost, but I'll be using them regularly over the next few years.

Was also trying to get a price for one of the combo kits from Milwakee or Makita - multiple tools but the same battery type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dont buy second hand tools full stop.

You can buy a cheap kango/rotary sds in B&Q and while its junk its does the job fine and it you wear the bollocks out of it in 12 months you're under warranty. The exceptions would be qith circular saws and chop saws ..buy good ones. .the guards and blades in the cheaper ones are junk and could cost you a finger.

Makita are ok but not nearly as good as they were. Milwakee are quality. Hilti are great but waay to expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sunday markets - you can view before you buy.

stoneill wrote: »

You sure can, boss....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

stoneill wrote: »

Yea.. if you see my generator can you give me a call

Dont buy second hand tools full stop.

You can buy a cheap kango/rotary sds in B&Q and while its junk its does the job fine and it you wear the bollocks out of it in 12 months you're under warranty. The exceptions would be qith circular saws and chop saws ..buy good ones. .the guards and blades in the cheaper ones are junk and could cost you a finger.

Makita are ok but not nearly as good as they were. Milwakee are quality. Hilti are great but waay to expensive

That's good advice - never considered the guard issue.

Don't have a great selection of Sunday markets around our area - and anytime there are, it seems to be limites to fireplaces and boxes of surplus wooden flooring!

Advertisement