Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I use this crank arm removal tool?

Options
  • 24-10-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi guys, trying to change my crank arms, I have the bolt off and everything but the square bottom bracket crank won't pull off. So I tried using the pictured 2 piece crank arm remover, but I'm a bit confused??

Do I need a hexagonal shaped wrench like a giant sized Allen key (forgive my tool lingo) to insert into the top to apply pressure to pull the crank off?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Not quite clear from the picture, but if I'm not mistaken, you just keep turning the screw part into the crank and eventually they will start to pull off.

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Bv70B545U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Could you use a spanner to turn it. There is what looks like a nut behind the piece you are showing us. You need to insert and screw the threaded piece a few turns into the crank arm itself and then turn the outside piece (nut) clockwise. This drives in the end piece and will force the arm off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Could you use a spanner to turn it. There is what looks like a nut behind the piece you are showing us. You need to insert and screw the threaded piece a few turns into the crank arm itself and then turn the outside piece (nut) clockwise. This drives in the end piece and will force the arm off..

Yeah I thought so, the spanner I have came with a crappy Aldi Bicycle tool kit on special a few weeks ago. Its awful. I've contacted a few more mechanically able mates who should be able to sort it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Hi guys, trying to change my crank arms, I have the bolt off and everything but the square bottom bracket crank won't pull off. So I tried using the pictured 2 piece crank arm remover, but I'm a bit confused??

Do I need a hexagonal shaped wrench like a giant sized Allen key (forgive my tool lingo) to insert into the top to apply pressure to pull the crank off?

Any help much appreciated.

The youtube videos make show very clearly how to use them. I looked them up recently myself.
    Slo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The socket set into the silver part of the tool is for removing the bolts threaded into the bottom bracket axle.

As already suggested, to use the tool, thread the black part into the crank but don’t just thread it in part way, thread it in as far as it’ll go and then tighten it a little with a spanner - if you leave it loose you risk damaging the threads in the crank later. Then thread the silver part into the black part, using a spanner on the hex shoulder behind the socket, and keep turning it until it has pushed the crank off the axle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

doozerie wrote: »
    Then thread the silver part into the black part, using a spanner on the hex shoulder behind the socket, and keep turning it until it has pushed the crank off the axle.
    Before you do this bit, look at the top of the silver bit (the thin threaded end). There might be a little black round piece there, which is wider than the silver bit and which looks like it's been slotted in, i.e. it looks like a separate part. It is. If you have square tapered cranks, you have to remove this before you try to remove your crank. Otherwise you will rip the threads out of the crank arm, making it very difficult to remove. I've done this. Twice. Once for me and once for you, so you don't have to make this mistake :D

If you don't have square tapered cranks (e.g. you have octalink, but you probably don't), then you need this little round add-on.

To remove it, pop a straight blade screwdriver underneath to pop it out, or use a pliers. It'll take a little effort, but trust me, it comes out.

Advertisement